Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it was my understanding that you could not turn your esp off unless you had a track pack car. I have a 2011 RT 6SPD and my window sticker does not say that I have the stp option. I held the button for about 5 seconds and I get a dash ding and then it says ESP Deactivated. ESP OFF then displays under the odometer. how is this possible and is the ESP fully off?

·
Registered
883 Posts
So it was my understanding that you could not turn your esp off unless you had a track pack car. I have a 2011 RT 6SPD and my window sticker does not say that I have the stp option. I held the button for about 5 seconds and I get a dash ding and then it says ESP Deactivated. ESP OFF then displays under the odometer. how is this possible and is the ESP fully off?

4k rpm's...dump clutch you'll find out real fast if it's off.....it sounds as if it is though. That's they sequence on my SRT and it's fully off.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
4k rpm's...dump clutch you'll find out real fast if it's off.....it sounds as if it is though. That's they sequence on my SRT and it's fully off.

ok so I didn't feel any traction control helping slow me down when I tried your "test" my question is how am I able to disable this feature if I do not have a track pack car? did it change in 2011 to allow everyone to do this?

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Im guessing since its a manual tranny, it gives you that option! Enjoy haha.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a diablo tuner does anyone know if having the tuner installed activates that feature maybe

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
All 2011+ R/T 6-speeds have full-off capability from the factory, STP is not needed nor is a tuner. The "ESP Deactivated" message is confirmation.

Sent from a cool, little device from the future.

·
Registered
73 Posts
All 2011+ R/T 6-speeds have full-off capability from the factory, STP is not needed nor is a tuner. The "ESP Deactivated" message is confirmation.

Sent from a cool, little device from the future.
Yep, the way I understand it ALL 11+ 6 Spd cars have "track pack", Full esp off, sport suspension and HD brakes. The STP cars have a few extra goodies, but I'm not 100% sure what those are.

·
Registered
15,815 Posts
Yep, the way I understand it ALL 11+ 6 Spd cars have "track pack", Full esp off, sport suspension and HD brakes. The STP cars have a few extra goodies, but I'm not 100% sure what those are.
The standard 6-speed R/T has the STP HD brakes and the full off ESP but it does not have the STP "Sport" suspension, it has the standard R/T "Performance" suspension. So the STP on a 6-speed would only add the suspension and steering ratio and the requirement for 20 inch wheels, on an automatic it would give you the HD brakes, suspension and full off ESP and wheel requirement.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree esp is very helpful but it is nice on a closed course to turn it off and have some fun

Reactions: Brock Samson

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a 2010 R/T 6M with the Track Pack and can fully disable TC & ABS by turning the ignition key to START and holding it there for a couple of seconds.

You have to be going above 25mph while doing this. And you will get a couple of dash warning lights to illuminate, and will hear a chime.

Once the car is turned off, then restarted, ABS & TC are turned back on automatically.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
I'm guessing that is why "semi-off" mode is probably a better choice in most cases, despite the allure of being able to completely disable it. Semi-off will let the tail swing wide, allow burnouts in a turn, and let you burn-out all the way to the redline, but it will save your a$$ on the day you get the car far out of whack beyond anything you "intended" to do. If stability control intervenes in semi-off mode, chances are you didn't really have it under control (or maybe you were just a little late on the ball to be doing what you were supposed to be doing).

I've pushed it so far in semi-off mode (because that is pretty much the only mode that is available to me in a standard auto RT), there are times I would expect esp should have taken over, but it didn't...and my only explanation is that I had my steering correction dialed-in just in time in that instance. If you can "show" the system you know what you are doing in a prompt manner, I believe it will let you push it even farther than is normal even for semi-off.

I believe yaw rate also has something to do with it, too. If you are yawing nice and slow, but still at a considerable angle, the computer will say, "Ok, you got dis...all good...carry on." If you have the tail whipping around (high yaw rate), the computer will say, "Ok, you're done, buddy...taking over before you ruin my day and land me in a ditch." In the latter situation, semi-off won't necessarily straighten the car out upon activation, but it will slam on the outer front brake, to halt your yaw rate. The thought in your mind at that moment won't be that the computer foiled you, rather the acknowledgment that you didn't have it all under control like you thought, and the car was pretty much right-on in giving you the wake-up call when it did. Letting it go any further would just be a 50/50 chance you could recover entirely on your own.

·
Premium Member
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,467 Posts
Had mine off last night and almost paid the price. I usually leave it on but it cuts out so bad being blown. Hit it in second and she fish tailed all over the road. Caught it and turned esp right back on. Went home and changed.....

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
LOL, if you caught it then leave it off!!

you just learned to pay attention and squeeze smoothly the throttle next time

mine seems to have her ass come out on the right side from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd; so i am prepared, and make a slight steering wheel counter lock proactively to keep her straight

seriously do as you please;

i just loved the "Went home and changed....." comment....i did too but now i take some with me in the car so i can change on the side of the road or at the first public/coffee shop bathroom

there is a mod that turns the ESP at 100% off and that seems to be the real scary stuff; racing style stuff with nothing left, no ABS, no ESP, no nothing; just you and 500 hp going wild

ODP

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
ESP is a great function to have available and the ability to disable as you please is even better. It is their to protect you for when you can't protect yourself and better yet, it's there to protect you when you have a cigarette in one hand, a coffee mug in the other, a cell phone in between your shoulder and ear and you are driving with your nuts and you take a corner too quick and don't expect to have lost traction.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
That's the thing that seems so strange to me...people seem so focused on how to fully disable it, they never realize just how far (how much fun) you can have just in semi-off mode (which comes with a simple press of a button).

I'm still convinced that most Challenger owners aren't even aware they can do a full burn-out in straightline with the TC/stability control fully engaged. ;)

Reactions: wasp392
1 - 20 of 28 Posts