Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So after doing some reading on here I've found out that our 392's come from the factory with shorty headers. So I'm wondering is it beneficial to go with a full long tube header with hi flow cat and midpipe Or save a few bucks and just put a midpipe with high flow cat on the factory shorty's?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
392 cats are pretty good as are the shorties. You'll need a tune to benefit from LTs as you will be shifting your useable tq higher in the RPM range and they may lean you out a little.

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,817 Posts
Stock shorties flow well. However to get this thing to breath the most efficient go long tubes, mid pipes, and like mentioned above the tune. Mids alone won't do squat.

·
Banned
18 Posts
Just had Stainless Works Long tubes with cat delete installed and picked up 41 HP. Before was 363 rwhp and after was 404 rwhp. Sounds Nasty Good!!!!

·
Registered
724 Posts
I can speak from experience
I had solo catted mids and didn't feel the difference
Long tubes sound better and you will feel a difference in power coupled with a tune

·
Banned
18 Posts
Yeah bro, I'll let Carma Performance know there Dyno is off. Lol
He did 4 pulls and the best came in at 404 rwhp. My best pass before long tubes and tune was a 12.7. So, when I run it this April, it should run about 12.4 or 12.3 based on a 40 hp increase. I'll post my slip when I run it and keep you posted.

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,817 Posts

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,817 Posts
I can speak from experience
I had solo catted mids and didn't feel the difference
Long tubes sound better and you will feel a difference in power coupled with a tune

Your right mids alone will not give you any gains you can "feel". Long tubes on the other hand, yes. At which point if your doing long tubes, it makes sense to do the mids, which in turn both bolt ons will require a tune.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Banned
18 Posts
If you're wanting better sound and performance then spend the money and get a cam too. I was trying to save money and elected to install a srt max cam and keep my factory shorties. It was only able to get a 17 hp increase. Obviously, the factories were way to restrictive, so on went the long tubes and gave me another 41 hp with a total increase of 58 hp between the cam, long tubes and tune. Trust me with a cam, long tubes and tune, you will feel it in the seat of your pants!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thx for all the awesome advice guys!!! Next question to ask would be how important is ceramic coating?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi mabbott33,

If you’re looking for maximum gains in performance, long tube headers are the only way to go for your SRT-8! These headers (part #17250) are designed to work with your Challenger’s V8 engine to give you even more power. You can expect about a 10-15 gain in horsepower & torque. They’re bolt-on for an accurate fitment. Just like the rest of our systems, our headers are made of high quality, 300-series stainless steel, and are backed by our industry leading Million Mile Warranty.

We chose not to include cats on our long tubes, but you could easily have a muffler shop weld in a set after the collectors. Whether or not you use cats, we do recommend dyno tuning or hand held tuning the car to get the maximum performance gains and eliminate the CEL. If you have any questions, please give us a call at 805-986-8600. Happy motoring!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts