Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Our ‘18 SP has 275/40 tires on 9.5x20 rims. For a recent road trip, I purchased a 245/45 tire and a 9.0x20 wheel to use as a spare. (Was glad I has the full-size spare when I picked up a nail in the boondocks of Maine.)

Since the trip I’ve been considering ways to better secure the full-size spare.

This week, I experimented, researched, and made some determinations:
  • The full-size spare tire slides through the opening from the trunk to the back seat with room to spare
  • The full-size spare tire fits on the back of the folded down 2-passenger section of the rear seat while leaving enough space for the 1-passenger section of the rear seat to be in the upright position
  • With both sides of the back seat in the upright position, the full-size spare tire can be secured on the 2-passenger section of the rear seat using two seat belts
  • An out-of-shape old man (me, 71) can remove the full-size spare from the back seat through the passenger door
  • Spare wheel and tire weigh about 60#
  • Per my Owner’s Manual, baby-seat tethers are designed to restrain 65#

Next steps:
  • Add upper and lower baby-seat tethers to further secure the full-size spare
  • Tarp/blanket to protect the seat

Question: Anybody see any problems or dangers with using this setup on long trips?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
What's wrong with just putting it in the trunk?
The seat belts and baby-seat anchors make it much easier to restrain a full-size spare in the rear seat than in the trunk. For an extended trip (e.g., lower-48 retirement tour), it‘s easier to use the trunk for luggage and golf clubs.

·
Registered
2019 M6 Scat Pack
551 Posts
There is a compartment for the spare in the trunk. To have to transport the tire in the passenger compartment indicates one of two things. You are bringing too much with you or you are using the wrong vehicle and need one with more storage.

·
Registered
15,039 Posts
The compartment will fit only the temp spare and not a full size like he has or the flat road wheel and tire, so it's a pain trying to carry a standard size tire.

And you really just can't leave it laying on top of the trunk unsecured as this would be a serious safety risk in an accident.

I guess the back seat as shown is another option but man, get a tire bag or make something to contain the tire, I just cannot imagine a tire and wheel sitting on my seats like that.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
There is a compartment for the spare in the trunk. To have to transport the tire in the passenger compartment indicates one of two things. You are bringing too much with you or you are using the wrong vehicle and need one with more storage.
The compartment in the trunk is sized for a compact temporary spare. A full-size spare does not fit. On road trips, I don’t want to rely on a small-diameter temporary (maximum 50 mph, 50 mile range) spare tire.

With the spare tire in the back seat and its huge Charger-size trunk, the SP will meet our needs for long trips. What’s the difference between having passengers, luggage, or a spare tire in the back seat?

We live near Chicago. If I wanted a vehicle that is sensible, I would have kept the 4x4 Jeep Renegade I traded in on the Challenger.

Bringing too much with? Maybe, but happy wife equals happy life!🙂

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
728 Posts
Just get a PLUG it and little compressor, WHICH is PERFECT for nails.........................
Plugs work, have worked since 1980's (same company)
Safety Seal is the only brand to buy

Reactions: jzink0883

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Did cross country last October with the 69 Coronet. Had a spare. Those here who don’t drive their cars don’t get what it’s like in the boonies with no cell signal or having to pack for weeks. As long as it’s secure looks ok to me. How about detailing the wheel and putting a protective covering on the seat.

·
Registered
2019 M6 Scat Pack
551 Posts
Well, the compact spare is a solution to get you to the nearest Discount Tire, or whatever, since you wouldn't want to travel with no spare anyway. Nothing wrong with that solution .

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Did cross country last October with the 69 Coronet. Had a spare. Those here who don’t drive their cars don’t get what it’s like in the boonies with no cell signal or having to pack for weeks. As long as it’s secure looks ok to me. How about detailing the wheel and putting a protective covering on the seat.
Dennis H.,

I didn’t expect the full-size spare to fit in the back seat. I thought that I would be quickly determining where it didn’t fit. I was surprised that the full-size spare fit and that it was relatively easy to get it in and out.

When I put the full-size spare in the back seat for trips, my plan is to have a tarp and/or moving blanket protecting the seat. That would also protect the seat when a full-size flat tire is placed there.

Just get a PLUG it and little compressor, WHICH is PERFECT for nails.........................
Plugs work, have worked since 1980's (same company)
Safety Seal is the only brand to buy
My father raised a belt AND suspenders son. The SP came with a compressor and I plan to add a plug kit.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Personally I would put the spare in the trunk and pack luggage around it. Use back seat for your golf clubs, stacked on top of each other and strapped in with the seat belts. I would rather get smacked in the head with golf bags if the tether let go in an accident since the baby tethers you were mentioning were good for 65 lbs instead of a tire, then if you do get a flat now to deal with that dirty tire in and out of the back seat, no thanks, wrapped or not.
P.S if you do put the tire in the back seat, put it on your wife’s side...JUST JOKING.

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,636 Posts
Looks like a logical compromise to me. On road trips I use the trunk way more often than I ever would the rear seat. And it is secured too which is a win-win in my book. I should note that I carry a scissor jack, plug kit, 12 volt compressor, and a can of goo that came with the car. So consequently I have options. And almost forgot.... a full sized spare too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Our ‘18 SP has 275/40 tires on 9.5x20 rims. For a recent road trip, I purchased a 245/45 tire and a 9.0x20 wheel to use as a spare. (Was glad I has the full-size spare when I picked up a nail in the boondocks of Maine.)

• The full-size spare tire slides through the opening from the trunk to the back seat with room to spare
  • The full-size spare tire fits on the back of the folded down 2-passenger section of the rear seat while leaving enough space for the 1-passenger section of the rear seat to be in the upright position
  • With both sides of the back seat in the upright position, the full-size spare tire can be secured on the 2-passenger section of the rear seat using two seat belts
  • An out-of-shape old man (me, 71) can remove the full-size spare from the back seat through the passenger door

Next steps:

Question: Anybody see any problems or dangers with using this setup on long trips?

I bought a original wheel and tire to match the 4 tires, it’s in my trunk and gets rotated with the the other wheels. Yea it takes up room in the trunk but it’s nice to know it’s there. Biggest drawback, cost! Seems I bought one of the most expensive wheels Dodge providers, $800.00, tire, $300.00

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,130 Posts
I can get TWO complete, rear wheels easily in the trunk :unsure:
I really dont understand the pursuit of doing so in the backseat, where in the event of heavy collision, that wheel could easily become a 40lb unforgiving projectile to the back of the head of myself or passenger.
I'd think there is a reason why NO ONE - EVER mounts them in the backseat.

Reactions: Klink and 2015SXT

·
Registered
112 Posts
What about a roof rack or a trunk luggage rack for the spare?

I carry a temp spare, compressor with goo, black jack tire plug kit.

They sell a spare mount they use in police cruisers, maybe??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
20201119_163419.jpg
I bought a original wheel and tire to match the 4 tires, it’s in my trunk and gets rotated with the the other wheels. Yea it takes up room in the trunk but it’s nice to know it’s there. Biggest drawback, cost! Seems I bought one of the most expensive wheels Dodge providers, $800.00, tire, $300.00
Me too.

Reactions: fyrdude

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Personally I would put the spare in the trunk and pack luggage around it. Use back seat for your golf clubs, stacked on top of each other and strapped in with the seat belts. I would rather get smacked in the head with golf bags if the tether let go in an accident since the baby tethers you were mentioning were good for 65 lbs instead of a tire, then if you do get a flat now to deal with that dirty tire in and out of the back seat, no thanks, wrapped or not.
P.S if you do put the tire in the back seat, put it on your wife’s side...JUST JOKING.
Totally agree on all counts. Especially on cloth without a towel down to protect it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
:rolleyes: I'm gonna go get the papers... get the papers...

Reactions: 2015SXT

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts

Next steps:

Yuck

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
ok my turn at this................
I have a 2016 Challenger HellCat with the Harmon Karden junk in the spare tire area.
I removed that crap and in that space I use for storage for long trips....NY to FL.
I have a duffel bag with my aluminum floor jack and some tools to change or plug a flat tire, this bag rest in the trunk between the Full size spare tire Turned Upside Down for more storage in the rim and the rear seat.
There is a stud sticking up behind the driver side pass seat that can be used as an anchor point for ratchet strap to hold the tire.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts