Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent a lot of time over the past two weeks installing my new system. I know a lot of people talk about a three way system up front so I thought I would take some pics and post how I did it. What I decided on was a set of three way precision power components. I mounted the midbass in the door, the midrange in the dash opening and the tweeter at the bottom of the a-pillar. I'm almost done soundproofing the car and I've got the rear speakers mounted. The front speakers are all installed except for the driver's door speaker. I didn't take any pictures of the rear install because there is already a few threads on doing that. Once the drivers door is done, I'll only have the radio and amplifiers left. I decided to use my pioneer prs-80 single din again because it sounds amazing and I love the auto tune. I have 2 soundstream reference amps I'm probably going to install, but I picked up a Helix 5 channel that I'm gonna give a shot before I put the soundstreams in. I went with a single 15 inch precision power sub in a sealed enclosure that is 2 cubic feet. I have already built and carpeted the box and amp racks. I have a couple of trim pieces left but should have everything installed in the next couple of weeks. I will update the pics as I get my car finished but I thought I would post some pics for right now.

2014 Challenger Blacktop Audio Slideshow by frank99ta | Photobucket

·
Registered
957 Posts
Sounds like a fun one. How are you planning on running the 4 passbands with just the 80 prs? I ask because this is the question that resulted in me swapping out my 880prs and buying a digital processor.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm actually going to use the crossovers that came with the speakers. I tried running active with the prs in my old car and I didn't find it very user friendly. I ended up using the crossovers on the amp instead. Besides I still haven't narrowed down which amp or amps I'm gonna be using.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I finally finished the speaker install and got one of my amps hooked up to try. The three way precision power components sound amazing right out of the box. This is my first set of three ways so I was worried about tuning and placement issues, but these speakers were designed very well. The midrange in the dash and the tweeter in the a pillar blend together so well it is amazing. I think they can sound even better with a little tuning, so its still a work in progress. The precision power 15 inch sub I installed lives up to the reviews I read on the internet. It plays very clean and has the clarity of a twelve. I was pretty impressed, but I think it would perform better if it had some extra power. I went ahead and installed the Helix 5 channel first and that is one hell of an amp for the money. I plan to hook up the soundstream tomorrow and then I'll be able to give a better comparison. I've had a hard time finding an amp that sounds as good as the reference series for the money. The JL slash series are probably one of my favorite amps but its hard to justify the cost. I added a few pics but should have some added tomorrow night as well.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Updated my link and added some more pics. I spent a lot of time over the weekend working on it and I finally have my amp rack finished. I ended up installing my soundstream ref 4.760 for the front and rear speakers along with the ref 1.500 for the sub. The amps are pretty large and I barely fit them behind the back seat. I actually attached the amp rack to the back of the sub box. The system sounds great and it was worth all the effort and time I put into it. I got all my wiring cleaned up and zip tied as well. All I left to do now is build a trim piece for the trunk, possibly install a bass knob and put some of my interior back together. I'll probably finish putting the interior together this week and then take a little time off before I start on my trim piece for the trunk.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.