Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a few of us meet out there ran some pretty good times here are the slips...

then had to work on reaction time

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
those are pretty good times for a stockish rt. what tires you running? whats the secret? im running 2.12 60' and 11.2 sec 1000' times. your doing much better than that..

·
Registered
299 Posts
Great job! Those look like excellent times for us 6 speed guys. Do you have a lot of experience racing stick shifts or are you just naturally gifted? How about some details like what tires you were running, outside temp, and any technique, tricks or tips for the rest of us.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tires are nitto nt555r launching at 4500 rpm and shifting at 5800 each shift
This is the first manual car I have ever owned only experience with stick was my mothers diesel truck backing out of driveway. Outside temps were closer to 70*

·
Registered
451 Posts
How in the world do you launch a 6 speed at 4500 with drag radials and not break halfshafts? Either you have upgraded shafts or extremely good luck!!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Do you Power Shift?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Do you Power Shift?
Nah... he double clutches. He posted a video a few weeks back, he can shift it way faster than anyone I know.

I know a guy who has stock half-shafts and has runs drag radials as long as I have, no broken half-shafts. Is it a concern? Of course.

010r/t: Some amazing runs. What was the DA? The DA here Friday (north of Denton, Tx) was 1629-1852 ft.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think the d a was 650 I don't think I should have trouble with the half shaft i never drop the clutch completely

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Nah... he double clutches. He posted a video a few weeks back, he can shift it way faster than anyone I know.

I know a guy who has stock half-shafts and has runs drag radials as long as I have, no broken half-shafts. Is it a concern? Of course.

010r/t: Some amazing runs. What was the DA? The DA here Friday (north of Denton, Tx) was 1629-1852 ft.
how can double clutching be faster than stabbing the clutch, and yanking the shifter into the next gear???

seems like doubleclutching would be very slow shifting

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
good, i was hoping that was the case. i was thinking some very interesting terms for you after that post. lol!

we need a sarcasm font.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't use the clutch after launching

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
I don't use the clutch after launching
ummm, and how do you manager that? Ive tried this and at full throttle, the car doesnt want to come out of gear and if you manage to get it out of gear, it certainly doesnt want to go into the next gear.

how are you shifting without the clutch?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mad skillz lol! I use the clutch just was keeping the sarcasm going:fight:

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
This is what ive been doing lately (practicing).

I'll grab the shifter after Im moving in first and gently pull it towards second when im nearing redline. It wont come out of gear since Im flooring it. When I hit clutch- its a quick stab and release about halfway to the floor- the shifter will drop into second. Its pretty quick. Then I'll do the same to go into third and fourth.

the only problem is if you dont stab the clutch far enough. then it comes out of gear and doesnt go into the next. kind of embarrassing

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You will get it dude! give it time

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've launched my srt8 twin turbo as high as 5k on stock half shafts with no breaks. In fact over a weekend I had 20 passes with launches between 4k and 5k.

Now the real kicker is when I had minor mods and 7 day off the showroom floor I broke the stock half shafts 3times over a 60 day period...and this was at a time when upgrades for the axles were all but nonexistent. I did upgrades and broke those too.

It seems that the launches best at 4800rpms, the car hooks and I get 1.85 to 1.80 60 foots. My time slip is posted in the 12 second club best time was 12.14 the car will do 11 s but I am still tweaking tunes and suspension.

The tip or trick you are looking for is the fine line between quick slipping and side stepping the clutch. Do not side step the clutch, just let it out fast and smooth and give throttle equal to half of what your clutch release is...you will shoot out like a rocket if you don't get pushed back in your seat and the hair doesn't stand up on the back of your neck you either slipped the clutch too much or you broke an axle.:thumbsup:

Speed shifting is easy you will have a rougher time convincing your mind to not lift which is the discipline. Shit at 5500 to 5800 Rpms don't lift off the throttle. I recommend 5500 to start with as this will provide you 200 rps of error if you've increased the rev limiter to 6800 then you shift at 6000 but I don't recommend this unless you have mastered the speed shift at 5800 Rpms first. Essentially at 5500 you have to shift fast and the car will jump to 6000 Rpms before the shift is finished. At 5800 there is no room for error unless you have increase the rev limiter. Onnce the shift is complete the car will lurch forward and continent accelerate you may chirp the tires this is normal. Speed shifting in our cars is worth about .50 on the quarter mile, unless your stock then it's worth about .30 on the quarter. I've never ran an eight mile track.

The 12.14 I ran was shifting like granny. I was feeling out my turbo setup and ran a that time which was better than my days average which was 12.30 @ 11# s with a da of 1700. Last Saturday I ran 12.40 with a da of 2700 and air temps at 75+ degrees. Btw I run nt05 rs 325'sx40x20.

Your milage may vary...that's my experience with just under 100 passes on my car:redcap:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts