Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where i can get a set of intake screens for the factory scoop.ive seen them with the kit,but i need just the screens

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Are you just wanting to make the eom hood bezels functional or?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you just wanting to make the eom hood bezels functional or?
yes,im kinda gonna go with just dropping the air temp in the compartment for now,so ill cut out the hood blanket just to use the scoop for something other than looks.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
IMO buying new ones is too pricey for how easy it is to make the stock ones functional. I popped mine out, And drilled them out from the back of the bezel with a drill bit that was the same size as the honeycomb squares. Can't tell there was any modification and they let air in. I used a drill press to make the holes a little more regular, but even if you did it with just a hand held drill, you won't be able to see any hiccups. It's pretty easy really. Just my .02

·
Super Moderator
15,019 Posts
yes,im kinda gonna go with just dropping the air temp in the compartment for now,so ill cut out the hood blanket just to use the scoop for something other than looks.
The stock outlets from the hood scoops are rearward of the hood insulation pad: All Challenger hoods have them. No need to cut holes in the pad.

(my image shows the functional scoop inserts, which I installed) They have a soft rubber elbow that conducts any water through the opening, rather than having it accumulate between the outer / inner layers of the hood.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Why??? Making them "functional" your NOT, all you'll end up doing is letting crud in under the hood. You want more air (for whatever reason), reprogram the FANS.

·
Banned
349 Posts
The stock outlets from the hood scoops are rearward of the hood insulation pad: All Challenger hoods have them. No need to cut holes in the pad.

(my image shows the functional scoop inserts, which I installed) They have a soft rubber elbow that conducts any water through the opening, rather than having it accumulate between the outer / inner layers of the hood.
I can't see just opening up the "stock" intakes as water would certainly funnel it's way between the outer/inner hood skins not too mention the under hood insulation.

As shown above, the correct "factory/OEM" open intakes have the rubber boots that funnel air/water into the engine compartment. This is a VERY easy upgrade/mod only takes minutes and I would have to say helps in some way to reduce engine heat. I can say one thing for a fact, when you shut the car off, you can feel the heat just pouring out of these open intakes. So I would assume the opposite happens when the car is moving. Cool air being brought into the engine compartment in any way must be beneficial.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I can't see just opening up the "stock" intakes as water would certainly funnel it's way between the outer/inner hood skins not too mention the under hood insulation.

As shown above, the correct "factory/OEM" open intakes have the rubber boots that funnel air/water into the engine compartment. This is a VERY easy upgrade/mod only takes minutes and I would have to say helps in some way to reduce engine heat. I can say one thing for a fact, when you shut the car off, you can feel the heat just pouring out of these open intakes. So I would assume the opposite happens when the car is moving. Cool air being brought into the engine compartment in any way must be beneficial.
Why would it do anything more than let crud in? Modern engines need to run hotter than old engines, it's OIL TEMP that's the important thing anymore.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

wrong hood scoops,i have the T/A hood

·
Banned
349 Posts
Why would it do anything more than let crud in? Modern engines need to run hotter than old engines, it's OIL TEMP that's the important thing anymore.
Since I installed them on my car I have not seen one drop of "crud" anywhere under the hood.

Also, I don't see how letting in cool air or letting out hot air can be a bad thing in any way shape or form. Old car, new car, the cooler under the hood the better I would think no matter how little the difference might be. Just my opinion. There must be some usefulness, the engineers wouldn't have bothered making any of them functional.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Why??? Making them "functional" your NOT, all you'll end up doing is letting crud in under the hood. You want more air (for whatever reason), reprogram the FANS.
The vents are too small for any type of ram air effect, they simply vent warmer air. There was a thread somewhere that showed a decrease in air temp under the hood with the functional scoops, which is a good thing imo. I've never seen crud enter through the scoops. Heck, I run a shaker with a hole in the hood and still don't see a bunch of water or dirt getting in from the hood.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Since I installed them on my car I have not seen one drop of "crud" anywhere under the hood.

Also, I don't see how letting in cool air or letting out hot air can be a bad thing in any way shape or form. Old car, new car, the cooler under the hood the better I would think no matter how little the difference might be. Just my opinion. There must be some usefulness, the engineers wouldn't have bothered making any of them functional.

They make them to sell cars (guys like hoods with holes in them for some reason), they don't really do anything, especially modern cars where the actual filter is already NOT on the engine itself.

You don't see this kind of silliness in high end performance cars, it's merely FLUFF.

·
Banned
349 Posts
They make them to sell cars (guys like hoods with holes in them for some reason), they don't really do anything, especially modern cars where the actual filter is already NOT on the engine itself.

You don't see this kind of silliness in high end performance cars, it's merely FLUFF.
Well, for $50 I like them. Someone here was selling them brand new, unused and I bought them. Installed them in minutes and all is well.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
1.) The idea of "crud" getting in the engine compartment or in between the hood skin and frame is bs. Who really thinks the plastic bezels popped into a metal hood, with no rubber seal, is water tight, as is from the factory. So opening the bezels up does not cause rust, dirt, or "crud" problems.
2.) secondly, no of course there is no ram air effect, but it has been proved to produce lower engine compartment temperatures, because before I did the mod, another guy had done the same thing and taken readings with a thermostat that proved it dropped engine comp temps by 20 degrees while operating at highway speeds.

I've had this mod done for 2+ years, and never once had any rust or dirt issues.

Btw tuning the fans to come on more often is a bad idea too. I've already had to replace mine once, and it's not cheap. Electronics only last for so long and so this mod will make a difference, even if it's only slightly. But feel free to replace your cooling fan every 29k miles

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
1.) The idea of "crud" getting in the engine compartment or in between the hood skin and frame is bs. Who really thinks the plastic bezels popped into a metal hood, with no rubber seal, is water tight, as is from the factory. So opening the bezels up does not cause rust, dirt, or "crud" problems.
2.) secondly, no of course there is no ram air effect, but it has been proved to produce lower engine compartment temperatures, because before I did the mod, another guy had done the same thing and taken readings with a thermostat that proved it dropped engine comp temps by 20 degrees while operating at highway speeds.

I've had this mod done for 2+ years, and never once had any rust or dirt issues.

Btw tuning the fans to come on more often is a bad idea too. I've already had to replace mine once, and it's not cheap. Electronics only last for so long and so this mod will make a difference, even if it's only slightly. But feel free to replace your cooling fan every 29k miles
Yep, just found the old thread but not sure I can post it since its from a banned CT member. Anyone interested can google it though. Bottom line is that temps in the engine compartment were reduced up to 10 degrees in some cases. I don't see how that's a bad thing at all.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts