Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First off I just want to clarify this is NOT a CAI modification but simply a way to make the factory T/A hood scoop functional as in flowing air instead of just being corked up and looking pretty.

Now this may not be for everybody but it is what I did. For those that wish to, go ahead and comment. Been building lowriders for years so my skin is pretty thick if ya know what I mean...








Basically what I did was removed the plastic grilles from the hood scoop, sanded the back of each until enough plastic was removed to expose the webbing. For personal reasons I removed the center screw mount when I sanded the back of each grill.

Then the scoop itself was modified with a Dremel to eliminate the center screw mount, and expand the opening so as to eliminate any colored hood scoop plastic from showing thru the grilles. As for the sound batt under the hood - still haven't decided if I am going to keep it the way it is or just remove it completely. At least this way I do not notice the windshield washer tubing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,532 Posts
I am planning on doing the same exact thing to the center screw mount. Plus I'll add the Mopar plenum that directs the air to the Mopar cai. That kit already comes with gratings that are open (so I won't need to modify mine)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am planning on doing the same exact thing to the center screw mount. Plus I'll add the Mopar plenum that directs the air to the Mopar cai. That kit already comes with gratings that are open (so I won't need to modify mine)
Sounds like a great plan. For me I plan on keeping the stock air box so the Mopar plenum did not make sense for me. FYI the gratings that come with that kit are aluminum (or some type of metal) - you will probably have to "massage" them a bit to get rid of the center mounting point.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bumpity bump?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,734 Posts
Nice clean job. I did the same when i installed my TA hood the first week after i got it. I cut the holes in the hood before mounting the scoop, then widened the opening of the scoops with a dremels tool, and cut off the center mounting tabs as they just block air flow. The two end mounts are plenty to hold the grills in place.

I didn't think about sanding off the back of the plastic grills to open up the holes, I just got a round drillbit and drilled holes where each square was, making it semi functional and allow airflow through to the engine bay. It took a while before i got the underhood box kit to route to the intake, at that time i replaced the grills with the metal ones that come with the underhood kit, i have not drilled out the center tabs on those yet. Maybe i'll try sanding off the backs of the original plastic ones and see if i can open those up while i use the later ones as standby units.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice clean job. I did the same when i installed my TA hood the first week after i got it. I cut the holes in the hood before mounting the scoop, then widened the opening of the scoops with a dremels tool, and cut off the center mounting tabs as they just block air flow. The two end mounts are plenty to hold the grills in place.

I didn't think about sanding off the back of the plastic grills to open up the holes, I just got a round drillbit and drilled holes where each square was, making it semi functional and allow airflow through to the engine bay. It took a while before i got the underhood box kit to route to the intake, at that time i replaced the grills with the metal ones that come with the underhood kit, i have not drilled out the center tabs on those yet. Maybe i'll try sanding off the backs of the original plastic ones and see if i can open those up while i use the later ones as standby units.
Depending on what equipment you have I found that a good bench grinder with a wire wheel was more effective at removing plastic than just about anything else. The normal grinder wheel was used to square off the ends of the openings as the wire wheel was a little to round at the edges. I was actually amazed how much plastic had to be removed - seemed almost like 50% before i could fully see thru the openings.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top