Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received a safety recall in the mail from FCA for my 2009 Dodge Challenger. It said that if my Challenger came equipped with a Kidde fire extinguisher that I should contact Kidde, phone number enclosed, because some extinguishers may malfunction. I have a feeling that the recall may be referring to RVs built on a Dodge Chassis that were supplied with an extinguisher. I sure would be wary of driving my Dodge Challenger if Dodge saw fit and felt it necessary to equip it with a fire extinguisher, heh,heh. Any other Challenger owners receive this recall.

·
Premium Member
3,339 Posts
I got the same recall notice and an email yesterday and same thing, no fire extinguisher in this car, not from day 1.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Received the same recall for the nonexistent extinguisher. All is well, placed a halon extinguisher in the cab and another in the trunk on day one........

HOT ROD ON

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,987 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,973 Posts
I got the same recall notice for my 2009 SRT. I wasn't aware that a fire extinguisher was an option. :icon_confused:

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
650 Posts
Fortunately, FCA did not attempt to remedy this situation with an OTA update.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,987 Posts
The scope of this vehicle recall was determined by comparing the suspect Kidde part numbers included in recall 17E-062 against the Mopar and FCA US LLC (FCA US) engineering Roadside Emergency kits that contain Kidde fire extinguishers.
Anyone aware of them either providing, or offering a Roadside Emergency Kit? Apparently containing a fire extinguisher. Funny thing is

Number of potentially involved : 62,042
Estimated percentage with defect : 100 %
A Guy

·
Registered
120 Posts
could it have something to do with the tire repair kit?.....does the kit have a pressurized sealant canister maybe made by kiddie ?.....I have a spare tire so don't have the kit....just a thought

·
Registered
42 Posts
My R/T came with a fire extinguisher, you guys and gals didn't get one?...............................................

just kidding

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,987 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
2,585 Posts
Received the same recall for the nonexistent extinguisher. All is well, placed a halon extinguisher in the cab and another in the trunk on day one........

HOT ROD ON
I would not want to be in your ride when the halon extinguisher goes off. :ack:

I carry an extinguisher in my trunk, mounted on the shock tower brace.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
I would not want to be in your ride when the halon extinguisher goes off. :ack:

I carry an extinguisher in my trunk, mounted on the shock tower brace.

Why Not? Not saying I know everything related to the use, care and maintenance of fire equipment, but! I did spent four years in the Military working in the fire service, maintaining and working with all types of fire equipment and after they were done with me, I continued in that line of work. Spent the next four decades working as a firefighter, Hazmat tech, and fire inspector. Was the engineer on quick response vehicles, very large crash trucks, pumpers, to rescue units. Not one to tout my past but after reading your reply to my post, I think it is the appropriate time to bring it up. Kind of sucks being trapped in a vehicle on fire and no extinguisher to beat the flames back till some brave souls arrive on scene, believe me when I say, not a pretty picture! That is why I carry one in the cab and the other in the trunk. Halon, BC, and ABC in that order. Thank you for replying to my post, hope this one gives everyone more insight on the importance of having the proper fire extinguisher on hand and in the right locations, this includes the home!

HOT ROD ON

·
Registered
349 Posts
There actually is such a kit and there has been for years but it seems it was more an accessory from the dealer rather than something the factory delivered with a new vehicle purchase. Since that seems to be the case the recall is likely going out to everyone since the dealer likely did not register each kit sold to link them to individual vehicle owners. That's what I think this is all about.

Steve White Parts - OEM Roadside Emergency Kit

----------------------------------

1 - 20 of 32 Posts