Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of Hello to everyone and TY for reading. Just wondering does anyone else have a stick shift that does a full 360` ???
Well if not mine does . Is it common in these cars (I've had mine going on a year) Can it be fixed ?? Please let me know.
It's starting to give me issues , like not aligning correctly , i have to move it one way for some gears , circle around for the others and jiggle it just right for second sometimes. :mad::confused::cool:o_O

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,029 Posts
I’m pretty sure that is off-nominal for these cars. As far as a fix, I bet some Gorilla Glue or JB Weld Plasti-Bond would make short work of this issue. :cool:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:D:D Talked to the dealer and they said that no that is not normal and im looking at a $580 FIX for the part.
please any other takers??? the gorilla glue and JB will have to be last resort.

·
Premium Member
6,029 Posts
:D:D Talked to the dealer and they said that no that is not normal and im looking at a $580 FIX for the part.
please any other takers??? the gorilla glue and JB will have to be last resort.
Did they go into any detail about what that $580 was buying you? I’m guessing a new shift knob and hour of labor to install it. So let’s say they are getting $140 an hour for labor, and surely it won’t take more than an hour to install. That means the new knob is $340?

IDK, I guess that tracks...if you just have to have a new shift knob, that is.

On the other hand, you could pick up some Gorilla Glue and JB Weld at the local Piggly Wiggly for $30 and have that applies and ready to go in about an half hour...for $0.00.

:unsure:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
this is the whole assembly.the base does a pivot like 360` where the shifter connects to.

05038191AI_0002.jpg

I2354590_5wwww.png

·
Premium Member
6,029 Posts
I got two words for you: Barton.

·
Premium Member
6,029 Posts
Any good deals on one??
SpeedLogix sells them I believe, check their section in the forum listings. I bet they are having some sort of sale that might apply.

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Check the barton website. I ordered mine directly from them. They gave me a 10% discount for military.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Check out the Hurst short throw shifter. I've been using one for about 10 years. It make the OEM shifter feel like a over cooked noodle. LOL

It ain't cheap. $450 - $500+ depending on where you get it and what you get with it. I also bought the short pistol grip shift lever with the "simulated" wood grip as well. Nice short throw, solid shifts and a nice classic look.

Look way back in the forum to around 2009 / 2010. There's quite a lenthy discussion on them. One of the guys (an aircraft mechanic I believe) made a delrin busing for it. It was due to the fact it was so tight that when in neutral, you could hear the gears rattling... Until you pushed in the clutch.

Here's a link to a couple of shifters I found when doing a quick search. It'll at least give you an idea of what I'm talking about. Hurst Shifter

Regard,
MPH

·
Registered
4 Posts
Few upgrades seem to make a night and day difference ... the Barton shifter is definitely one of those. Check it out, you will not regret it.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I got two words for you: Barton.
Hell yes if the factory setup is going to cost you $500+ the barton is worth every penny even at full pop!

On the other hand OP, i do have my used stock shifter assembly if you were willing to take the labor upon yourself

·
Premium Member
6,029 Posts
FWIW: I dont have an M6 and have never driven one with a Barton shifter. However, every person I know that has installed one in their LX has said they make a huge difference and are well worth the money.

From what I have seen, the members on here seem to all be of the same opinion. So evidently those factory shifters leave a lot to be desired...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Personally, I would go for the short throw Barton shifter. It's about $580.00 and a relatively easy DIY install. You just have to take your time and not try to rush thru it. Lots of tutorials online.

·
Super Moderator
15,339 Posts
The Barton runs $400 ~ 525 from the OEM version (uses OEM style handle) to their options for their flat stick & ball shifter. They have other options for handles, with higher prices

The Hurst starts ~ $500 and while being more expensive is also prone to more driveline NVH coming into the cabin

I used to have a Hurst on my first Challenger. I have the Barton on my current Challenger - I'd go with Barton, its a more precise and better engineered mechanism over the Hurst.

Very little driveline noise too

1 - 15 of 15 Posts