Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my 2012 SXT, Fuse #29 in the rear distributor:

Orange (5)
Cluster/Electronic Stability Program (ESP)/ Powertrain Control Module (PCM)/STOP LIGHT Switch

When a fuse is plugged into this block , the challenger refuses to start, and the car will only start up with this fuse removed. Does anyone have insight as to why this is working like that?

Thanks very much,

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
10,478 Posts
More info is needed to even begin unraveling what’s going on…

What is the “Orange (5)” ? That can’t be the fuse color/amperage rating, so what does it refer to? Where did you get it?

What is meant by “refuse to start”? Does the ignition cycle through ACC and RUN but the starter won’t energize, or does the ignition refuse to respond to the Start button being pushed?

How did this situation arise? Surely the car wasn’t disabled when you got it, so did this just start happening one day? If so, how did you figure out the fuse in question had to be pulled to start it?

Are there any obvious wiring mods on the car, like an aftermarket stereo system or aftermarket alarm system?

Hell, can you take a pic of the offending slot in the PDC with the fuse laying out next to it?

Absent more info, the only insight I can provide as to why it’s working like that would be, “someone royally screwed up the car’s wiring; sell it and make it someone else’s headache, cause that’s all it’s gonna be for you going forward it sounds like.”

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
29,022 Posts
295 Amp OrangeCluster/Electronic Stability Control (ESC)/ Powertrain Control Module (PCM)/STOP LIGHT Switch

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
16,029 Posts
He only made 11 posts. It looks like he just joined the forum to have his car's problem diagnosed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello thanks for replying,

And thanks for clarifying Guy, I was refering to the 5 amp Tan.

Early this year I was in heavy rain and it kicked off in motion, I had it towed to dealer and they replaced battery. about 300 miles later I had to replace the radiator and pretty much since that day the power steer warning had been on, initially having no effect but infrequently it would not start up right away. Then it started to only start up after maybe a 4 hour cooldown, I am not sure what type of cycle the challenger had created for itself but I was getting stuck in parking lots for a few weeks.

I had finally stumbled upon this weird startup fix just troubleshooting because it has been in limp mode since that radiator change, but I have had to sacrifice speedometer and fuel availability. The dash looks like this:

I have begun slowly replacing all of the wiring to better cable and copper eyelets and have noticed a positive effect…but still in limp mode.
Speedometer Vehicle Odometer Tachometer Car

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Scat Pack Pitch Black A8
1,602 Posts
Just a thought, have used a scan tool to check for any codes that may be causing it to be in limp mode? If you haven't I would try that.

·
Premium Member
2,022 Posts
Hello thanks for replying,

And thanks for clarifying Guy, I was refering to the 5 amp Tan.

Early this year I was in heavy rain and it kicked off in motion, I had it towed to dealer and they replaced battery. about 300 miles later I had to replace the radiator and pretty much since that day the power steer warning had been on, initially having no effect but infrequently it would not start up right away. Then it started to only start up after maybe a 4 hour cooldown, I am not sure what type of cycle the challenger had created for itself but I was getting stuck in parking lots for a few weeks.

I had finally stumbled upon this weird startup fix just troubleshooting because it has been in limp mode since that radiator change, but I have had to sacrifice speedometer and fuel availability. The dash looks like this:

I have begun slowly replacing all of the wiring to better cable and copper eyelets and have noticed a positive effect…but still in limp mode.
Hi Crxdivinci,
We see that you have received some great advice from your fellow forum members! However, if these suggestions do not address your concern and you decide to visit your dealer again, our team would be happy to offer additional assistance throughout that process! We're available via private message.

Rob
Dodge Cares

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Rebel,

The OBDs haven’t provided any insight because there are like 100 codes coming up , many of them are repeats.

So this pic gives more detail for the fuse that I have removed to get the challenger from a cranking no-start status to a state of consistently starting; the cost is losing speedometer and gas level functions.

Alas, I must say that I have flushed the power steering fluid and it has achieved no changes.
Circuit component Passive circuit component Hardware programmer Personal computer Electronic instrument

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Scat Pack Pitch Black A8
1,602 Posts
What happens if you clear all the codes and start over? I had to do that last week with a used truck I bought for the farm. Had a bunch of codes from years of driving that were never cleared. Just a thought. Maybe someone smarter will chime in.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They returnpretty much instantly but it has been awhile since I’ve done that. I am not sure if this does the same thing or not- but with key in, hold down trip reset button. Turn key to Run with trip reset button still held in. This should reset all the computer info.

Hi Crxdivinci,
We see that you have received some great advice from your fellow forum members! However, if these suggestions do not address your concern and you decide to visit your dealer again, our team would be happy to offer additional assistance throughout that process! We're available via private message.

Rob
Dodge Cares

·
Premium Member
10,478 Posts
So the fuse protecting the circuit that controls the PCM cannot be in its slot in the rear PDC, or what will happen?

You said the car wont start with the fuse in place, can you give more details about what you see and hear when you try and start it with the fuse in place?

What is the history of the car, has it been in a flood? Salvaged title?

Reactions: A Guy

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey friends!

Much has changed and my dilemmas have evovled, & my 2012 challenger sxt seems to have perished a few nights ago.

the abrupt shift from a normal P R N [D] on the EVIC flashed to [P] [R] [N] [D] [8] in her dying moments, but ever since it has been this:

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Steering part Automotive tire

The entire EVIC is completely black , no (Push To Start) message , nothing at all, the only exception being ‘Door Ajar’ and ’Trunk Ajar’, will display when space is given.

The next 2 days devoted to rewiring , separating & mounting all the ground wires , and scouring these forums for similar tragedies; none, has anyone else experienced this? Brand new battery too..

Circuit component Electricity Hardware programmer Electronic component Electronic engineering

·
Premium Member
10,478 Posts
Is there any other vehicle functionality affected, or does everything else still work like before?

If no other malfunctions or drivability issues started with this, my first suspect would be the cluster is going bad or has gone bad.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey brother, well I think everything has gone bad , except the driver seat function.

lights and alarm - they were good earlier this week, but have gone as well (even after battery swap)

battery negative terminal seems to react poorly and shocks the battery post before i get it tightened down.

way back in april 2021 when I was first convinced the car was in limp mode,
I think that was my sons mom & her boyfriend using a tuner on my car to mess with the rev limiter, theyve destroyed the interior among too many other terror acts against me.

i know in time I will have vengance andthe choice of how that justice comes. For now I need to know, is it safe to rule out the alternator?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts