·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok men/women.
This thread will be about my plans.
I always have plan a, b, c ect lol
It's a 16 5.7 shaker m6.
392 cam. Will phaze lock this cam using 1.7 roller rockers unless I can't procure the rockers then will not lock.
If I do use the 1.7 rockers, that will give this cam nice lift.
Port work on heads. Depending on how the cam profile checks out as in open and close numbers at .006 lift will determine if we put more compression in her or not.
Ritter intake manifold, probably the low.
88 or 90 mm throttle body.
Long tube headers, 200 count high flow cats. Cat back, stock.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
you don't need to lock the 392 cam, I ran one for a few years when I had my 5.7 and it worked great.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Using 1.7 rockers I will need to lock.

if you are going to lock the cam out anyway why not go with a more aggressive cam?
the reason I went with the 392 cam was drivability and retaining torque (via the phaser).
the 392 cam is good for about 30-40 hp, but you can go with a more radical cam to get more.
and dropping over $1000 on roller rockers seems a little excessive for a street engine...

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if you are going to lock the cam out anyway why not go with a more aggressive cam?
the reason I went with the 392 cam was drivability and retaining torque (via the phaser).
the 392 cam is good for about 30-40 hp, but you can go with a more radical cam to get more.
and dropping over $1000 on roller rockers seems a little excessive for a street engine...
good question.
I want to use roller rockers with what ever cam I will end up using. The specs on the comp cam are with 1.7 rockers. With the stock 1.65 rockers the number change
a bit. .600 lift intake and .594 on the exh. With the 1.75 rockers the 6.4 cam has .6265 intake lift and .5915 exh lift. the 6.4 cam also has more duration at .006 lift. I am not sure
on .050 duration numbers on the 6.4 cam though nor do I know intake center line. lobe separation on the comp 274 is 116, 6.4 is 120. The narrower the centerline the choppier the idle.
Although I do like a nice choppy idle, it will be what it will be. The 6.4 with 1.7 rockers, int .609 lift, exh .574 lift
Of course I will use better springs and push rods. This all could change though depending on if I can get my hands on the rockers. Yea the less expensive way would be the comp cam for sure
but I think more power to be had with the 6.4 and 1.75 rockers than the comp 274 with stock rockers.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Have you found anyone making the 1.7 rr's. From the research I've done, Harland Sharp makes a set, but they are around $12-1400 depending on what options you get, and they are not a direct bolt on deal. The rocker arm pedestals will need to be modified to use them. If you've discovered something new or better please share. I can tell you my M6 car with Comp 270 is a screamer. The Comp cam is obviously way more expensive than upgrading to a 6.4 pull out, that being said, I easily picked up 4-5 tenths in the 1/4 using the Comp 270. I'll be keeping an eye out on this one, I'm always trying to find ways to get faster with my baby 5.7.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Have you found anyone making the 1.7 rr's. From the research I've done, Harland Sharp makes a set, but they are around $12-1400 depending on what options you get, and they are not a direct bolt on deal. The rocker arm pedestals will need to be modified to use them. If you've discovered something new or better please share. I can tell you my M6 car with Comp 270 is a screamer. The Comp cam is obviously way more expensive than upgrading to a 6.4 pull out, that being said, I easily picked up 4-5 tenths in the 1/4 using the Comp 270. I'll be keeping an eye out on this one, I'm always trying to find ways to get faster with my baby 5.7.
I have not. Arrington was making them but not sure now since they were bought out. I am still in the planning stages so anything could change. I do have a new 6.4 cam and long tubes. This will not come apart until next winter anyway. The comp cams specs are with 1.7 rockers, if you check lift numbers with 1.65 they aren't that impressive. The lsa on them though is a lot narrower than the stock 6.4, this is where ya get the great idle. Anyone have any ideas on rockers, chime in. Modding the heads for the rockers you mentioned isn't that big a deal, they will come off for port and seat work any way. Also
The heads on 15-up challengers is a different part number than the 13-14 challenger and the 13-14 part number is also found on 15-16 chargers. Also the 15-16 part number 68280502ac, sells for $800 give or take. The 13-14 part number 53021608df sells for $223. These are right side part numbers. So if anyone knows the difference I would like to know. I am thinking though the 15-16 are like the 6.4 with smaller valves but not sure.
Also I am in the middle of two v-twin stroker builds that I have been procrastinating on getting done so these need finished before I get knee deep in this, lol. Glad those two dudes have other scoots to ride .
I also have been doing some data logging on the stock setup. The timing is all over the place, not sure it that due to vvt or not. This thing makes very good power when the pcm commands the proper A/F ratio. Wot sometimes is 13 or so to one and when it's 11.9:1 it makes great power. So that's to be tweaked with the tune.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did get a reply from Arrington, they will be working on the roller rockers and hope to be up to speed in the near future.

·
Registered
882 Posts
That’s good information to hear. Thanks for the update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That’s good information to hear. Thanks for the update.

I am not to sure when the company in Brighton MI took over but it's probably taking a while to get all there ducks in a row and being this would not be a hot seller isn't on the front burner but who knows. I just feel the 6.4 cam with the 1.7 or 1.75 would be a big power adder and locking the vvt not limiting it, the cam could be dialed in.
I don't think the vvt is as big a deal in a 6m than it is in the 8 sp auto.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I am not to sure when the company in Brighton MI took over but it's probably taking a while to get all there ducks in a row and being this would not be a hot seller isn't on the front burner but who knows. I just feel the 6.4 cam with the 1.7 or 1.75 would be a big power adder and locking the vvt not limiting it, the cam could be dialed in.
I don't think the vvt is as big a deal in a 6m than it is in the 8 sp auto.

I’ve always subscribe to the theory of one never knows until you try, or someone has to be the first to attempt new things. Go for it. You may end up finding the recipe for 5.7 VVT HP. I’m always looking to squeeze ponies out of my 5.7.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts