35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question

why German or Italian cars with v10 or v12 can handle more Heat
than the Hemi?

·
Super Moderator
13,947 Posts
European supercars use three sophisticated styling techniques to help cool the engine:

1. Hood Vents- Ventilated hoods allow for a clean exit for the air passing through the radiator, and they also help to maintain airflow through the engine bay.

2. NACA Ducts- These air scoops are designed to have minimal impact on airflow, while still creating an inlet for airflow. They can be used in nearly any application that requires airflow, whether that’s feeding an air intake, a radiator, or even cooling for a driver. The Ferrari F40 made extensive use of NACA ducts.

3. Side Vents- Seen from behind the front (or rear) wheels, they channel hot air out from the engine bay.

·
Super Moderator
15,559 Posts
Pretty much any engine is affected by heat soak

The supercharged AMG 5.5 V8s from MY 2003 - 2007 was known for heat soak - and the engine management would pull timing and reduce boost to prevent detonation.

·
Registered
5,868 Posts
I think the smaller bore (and smaller combustion chamber) may have something to do with it. Just speculation on my part, but a 12 cylinder Lambo is 6.5l that is 1 litre more than the 6.4l but with 4 extra cylinders.

·
Registered
2020 HellRaisin 1320
216 Posts
Apparently McLarens suffer from it pretty bad too? I did the DriveXotic course last year where you can take an exotic like a Lambo, ferrari, porsche, etc. on a 1.3 mile road coarse. I originally wanted to try out the McLaren. Went there in July, which in Dallas hovers around triple digits usually, and I couldn't take it out because they said it was too hot and was running in some kind of "limp" mode that day. They claim it happened all the time with the McLaren. I honestly didn't care enough to find out if that was true or not. Ended up taking out the Lamborghini Huracan and had a blast with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts