Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ralph Gilles was recently asked about the future of performance cars, particularly the SRT. Here is his reply:

"Anytime we've gone through a bit of an oil crisis, technology always bounces back. Everyone probably said the muscle car was dead 30 years ago, but it's actually in full force even stronger. So this year we start with the SRT8, with the first time it's had cylinder deactivation. I keep seeing technologies enabling performance, not being hindered by it. I see that happening... probably more radical swings in the ability to have, let's say, a 400-hp engine that gets 40 mpg as well. We're finding that multispeed transmissions are also a phenomenal thing that's just now starting, almost like the 20-speed bicycle back in the day, that's just now becoming more commonplace. That's a huge advantage -- having an engine that sleeps when it needs to, that performs. On top of that I see Porsche has already started to dabble in this space where you're using hybrid technology as a performance enhancer, not just for fuel economy. So I see the future being all about duality, having your cake and eating it too. Because everyone's going to need that intellectual alibi when they buy their next performance car in 10 years.

There will still be a handful of V-8s out there, but we're going to invest in fours and sixes. With the SRT, we've had turbo fours in the past. We're looking at active dampening, which we actually have today in the SRT8 Charger. So it's taking all these technologies that people associate with relatively exotic cars, and bringing it down to the Dodge customer, making it much more affordable." -Ralph Gilles, SRT Brand President/CEO; Chrysler Group Product Design Senior Vice President

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
The simple fact is that the 392 has MDS... And For what ever reason, they chose not to allow the customer to set the MDS threshold.. A simple page in the user preference of the EVIC, allow the customer to set how long MDS stays on... Why 10% or less throttle? Why not 50% throttle? There is no reason the 392 could halve it's horsepower to play "commuter car" role.. And fully return to the beast it is..

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Sadly it's the future of things.... You realize that for every in block cam V8 the manufacturers produce, they pay a penalty to the Government because it's not an Over Head Cam engine, and the Government deemed that those are efficient engines, not pushrod V8's. Just like the Government banning the manufacturing of the incandescent light bulb, so that we can have CCFL's with Mercury in them, instead of a traditional light bulb with just glass and tungsten..

I'm ok with Turbocharged V6's if they can produce usable torque and not self destruct before 100K miles.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think it's funny that he mentions multi-speed transmissions, yet the Challenger still is plodding along with it's 5 speed. My 2003 400hp Jaguar has the ZF 6 speed.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Then those people can get it with a Tremec T6 stick...

I'm not saying I wouldn't "like" an 8 speed auto.. But it certainly wasn't what my purchasing decision was based on!

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
i find it funny he compares the future of transmissions with a 20 speed bike when their current transmission is years behind everyone else (5 speed)

if they tried real hard couldnt they come out with a 6 speed AUTO by 2012???????????........it would be nice not to be at 2,200 rpms on the freeway...1,500 would be nice

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
You could have bought a six speed stick... And even saved a few bucks, what am I missing? I really don't see how this is a big point of contention.... 153 mile road trip back from Medina Ohio to Greensburg Pennsylvania, brand new auto 392.... 25.4 MPG.

*shakes head*

·
Registered
35 Posts
You could have bought a six speed stick... And even saved a few bucks, what am I missing? I really don't see how this is a big point of contention.... 153 mile road trip back from Medina Ohio to Greensburg Pennsylvania, brand new auto 392.... 25.4 MPG.

*shakes head*

Okay, would 30mpg or more not have been better?? 5 mpg x an 18 gallon (?) tank is 90 miles more per tank. That saves money at the pump, might get rid of the gas guzzler tax and makes the car more enjoyable to drive at speed. This is one of the reasons I got rid of my 370Z. Maybe the 2013 will arrive with 2006 technology. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,964 Posts

*shakes head*
About how many miles to do you get with about a 15-16 gal fill up. For example, I see 300 miles with 15.5 gals.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Ray,

Not too much more than 300 miles.. But around here, most of my driving is back roads and usually in autostick :)

Honestly when I am driving back and forth to work on the back roads, I never see any gear higher than third... 4th and 5th are for the highway just as 6th, 7th and 8th would be :)

If they want to get better mileage, give the consumer the ability to push a button for "Econ" which sets the MDS threshold to 50%, problem solved.. Mileage goes up... I'm sure that 235 horsepower from four cylinders is plenty if gas mileage is the concern, right????

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
i find it funny he compares the future of transmissions with a 20 speed bike when their current transmission is years behind everyone else (5 speed)

if they tried real hard couldnt they come out with a 6 speed AUTO by 2012???????????........it would be nice not to be at 2,200 rpms on the freeway...1,500 would be nice
My 392 with 6 speed stick revs about 1,600 rpms at 80 mph. I've never been on a long interstate trip with it yet, but it has to get some pretty decent milage.

·
Registered
2011 392 SRT, 2010 R/T Classic, 2019 R/T Plus, 2016 SXT Plus
459 Posts
I didn't buy my Challenger to get gas milage. I bought it to go FAST.

·
Banned
1,992 Posts
After a venerable company like Hurst publicly announced they are closing due to apathy, if not outright opposition, from Dodge and SRT, I'd say the future looks dim for SRT and Dodge performance.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts