Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Was just curious about what your thoughts on the current v6...

For me, having a v6 now for the last 3 years has worked out fine, but I am curious as to where Dodge is going to take this engine. By all accounts the v6 engine, as good as it is, is the slowest in terms of base engines compared to the other pony cars. We are also the fattest/ heaviest in terms of weight. The engine itself has been around for some time now and not much has changed.

Would like to pass down my current challenger to my eldest daughter in a few years and would like to get another one, but that said, I would like to see some changes, or consider other competitive options.. Not looking to move to a v8

Here are my thoughts...

Better horse power. Currently at 305hp/268 torque we are in the back of the pack. Would like to see this go to 350 to 375 hp with supportive torque
a 0 to 60 time that puts me ahead of the other pony cars
Weigh less then almost 4000 lbs like we currently are.
Better exhaust sound stock, so I don't have to buy an aftermarket
Wider Rear Rims, think I am currently 20x9 all around.

Anyway just a few things of the top of my head. What do you guys think, or have heard about the future of the v6...

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Honestly, the V6 is there mostly for fleet use.

They slapped it on literally everything they could.

I don't see the current V6 going anywhere while the 5.7l is still present. Rumor is a turbo i6 is in the works, and it may or may not replace the 5.7l in everything but trucks.

Why aren't you looking to move into a V8 if you want more power?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Honestly, the V6 is there mostly for fleet use.

They slapped it on literally everything they could.

I don't see the current V6 going anywhere while the 5.7l is still present. Rumor is a turbo i6 is in the works, and it may or may not replace the 5.7l in everything but trucks.

Why aren't you looking to move into a V8 if you want more power?
I'd guess gas mileage and insurance, just like me. At 305HP it's 30HP better than a 340 4bl was in 1970. Adding the Sprintex supercharger takes it to well over 400 and still 50 state legal. I don't really see a V8 in my future, but I do see a blower.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
945 Posts
That's what these R/Ts are for if you want a 375 HP motor.

Yet, there are rumors Dodge may retire 5.7L for all models except for the Ram trucks.

Ford no longer making V6 motors for their Mustangs, and I don't know if Chevrolet's future plan for the V6 in their Camaros.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
I'd guess gas mileage and insurance, just like me. At 305HP it's 30HP better than a 340 4bl was in 1970. Adding the Sprintex supercharger takes it to well over 400 and still 50 state legal. I don't really see a V8 in my future, but I do see a blower.
Huh??? Ya lost me Viking. I never agree with the kid but he's right. That just don't make any sense.

On a side note I have been wanting to ask you, how do they match up if it were a 1/4 mile race between the 340 and today's V-6? I know, hard to compare but what do you think. Thanks!
PS get the V-8. A supercharged V-6 ain't gonna be cheap! And usually you get a new car for the warranty.
Whatever you do. Good luck! And let us know. Very interested here.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just wanted to follow up on some of the comments here.

Yes for sure I could go for a v8... but I would be in a completely different price point and also drifting away from the focus of the v6. If dodge came out and said they are doing away with the v6 and the 5.7 was its replacement and would be improved and still got the same gas mileage that the 6 gets "22.5 like I get now on average", then I would be all on board. Would solve a lot of the original comments I throughout about improvements to the v6, However unless that ever happens, the more realistic side of things would be to give the v6 a refresher and improving it.

As Praise VA mentioned, a rumored turbo inline 6 would be a big change for sure, if at all true.

I will say if I am going to get an 8, I will shoot for the 485 range because at that point I might as well go all in....

I have a well equipped 6 now, compared to the other pony cars with the same price point, they have more power and torque, we have a little more car and weight to boot. My thought on all this was that it would be nice to see Dodge round this off a little better to make it more inline with the current competition. Nothing wrong with wanted to get the most out of your buy.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts

Yes for sure I could go for a v8... but I would be in a completely different price point and also drifting away from the focus of the v6. If dodge came out and said they are doing away with the v6 and the 5.7 was its replacement and would be improved and still got the same gas mileage that the 6 gets "22.5 like I get now on average", then I would be all on board. Would solve a lot of the original comments I throughout about improvements to the v6, However unless that ever happens, the more realistic side of things would be to give the v6 a refresher and improving it.

As Praise VA mentioned, a rumored turbo inline 6 would be a big change for sure, if at all true.

I will say if I am going to get an 8, I will shoot for the 485 range because at that point I might as well go all in....

I have a well equipped 6 now, compared to the other pony cars with the same price point, they have more power and torque, we have a little more car and weight to boot. My thought on all this was that it would be nice to see Dodge round this off a little better to make it more inline with the current competition. Nothing wrong with wanted to get the most out of your buy.
485 would make a lot of sense. No gas mileage with a super charged anything. So I agree all in or out.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'd guess gas mileage and insurance, just like me. At 305HP it's 30HP better than a 340 4bl was in 1970.
Here's an older thread that speaks to the comparison of circa 2010 V6 equipped Challengers with their old school small block forefathers. The current generation Challengers (2015-18) with the 305hp V6 coupled to an 8-speed auto trans really makes for an eyebrow raising comparison to the old school '70-71 340 V8 small block Challengers I believe. When Dodge coupled the 8-speed auto with the Pentastar in our current cars back in 2015 that allowed for a significant leap in performance plus 30 mpg economy.

Our modern Pentastar powered cars are heavier, yet compare quite well performance-wise to the 340 small blocks of yesteryear. Those of us with the 305hp SXT's have nothing to be embarrassed about at all in my book. Not to say that I don't admire the upper level performance models with the V8's (they are awesome cars), but I'm fully satisfied with the performance, handling and lower insurance costs of my 2016 SXT Plus model. I guess in my personal situation I really see no real advantage to upgrading to a V8 model when my vehicles are only driven on the street and not tracked. Let's face it, everybody has different tastes and ideas in cars and that's a good thing!

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts

You make little sense. You complain about insurance and gas mileage, but then turn around and say you want to put a blower on the car.

Meanwhile, you could buy a 392 for a bit more than a V6 would cost you and make about the same or better (if you get an A8) mileage than a V6 w/ blower.

You'd be trading a powertrain warranty for higher insurance. If you're so strapped for cash that insurance is such a problem, can you afford to daily drive a car without a warranty and an aftermarket mod?

Again, the logical choice is to go to a V8 or stick to a V6 without mods. The V6 is a dead end as far as performance is concerned, always has been, it's there for those with budget in mind.

You're better off asking if the GT's AWD setup can handle a blower, THEN you would have something worthwhile that no V8 can currently offer.

·
Registered
328 Posts
You make little sense. You complain about insurance and gas mileage, but then turn around and say you want to put a blower on the car.

Meanwhile, you could buy a 392 for a bit more than a V6 would cost you and make about the same or better (if you get an A8) mileage than a V6 w/ blower.

You'd be trading a powertrain warranty for higher insurance. If you're so strapped for cash that insurance is such a problem, can you afford to daily drive a car without a warranty and an aftermarket mod?

Again, the logical choice is to go to a V8 or stick to a V6 without mods. The V6 is a dead end as far as performance is concerned, always has been, it's there for those with budget in mind.

You're better off asking if the GT's AWD setup can handle a blower, THEN you would have something worthwhile that no V8 can currently offer.
Are kidding? The cheapest V8 is WAY more than twice the cost of the blower. AND the V6 with a blower still get about the same mileage when you aren't flooring it. You make no sense. Logic? Hardly, just nonsense by someone who's not done the research.

I can't believe the knee jerk reactive comments. Do some reading.

I paid about $20K for my SXT. Add $5500 for the blower and tune, which come with it and lets see...still over $10K cheaper. Still has the mileage and still has the same VIN for insurance. ROFLMAO!

·
Registered
958 Posts
If they are going to tweak the 3.6 any I'd like to see its torque number increased. I think it's currently 268 which is a bit lame. For comparison purposes a 70 318 generated 230HP and 320 torque. It's the torque that gives you that seat of the pants push & thrill. The 70 340 4bbl was 275 hp I think but tq was around 340 so I think that little 70 340 car is going to do pretty well in any track competition vs the 3.6. Heck even the 74 360 at 245 HP was still generating 320 ponds of torque.

As far as gas mileage I find that my 013 3.6 gets around 24 on the daily drive, my 010 RT 6 spd did the same if I kept my foot out of it. If you go with the automatic in the RT you can skip the premium gas.

There are an awful lot of really nice low mileage 11-14 SRT's available for less than the price of a new SXT+ with a couple of options so when it comes time to hand your car down to your daughter you may want to keep that in mind if you feel the need for speed.

I've looked at the supercharger option for the 3.6 but my observation is that generally any time you mod something significantly it turns out to be a pain in the rear long term. I'd rather have something that does what I want it to do right out of the box. If you want the 470 HP range get the SRT and be done with it. The car is built as a total package to support the power.

Happy Motoring!

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Are kidding? The cheapest V8 is WAY more than twice the cost of the blower. AND the V6 with a blower still get about the same mileage when you aren't flooring it. You make no sense. Logic? Hardly, just nonsense by someone who's not done the research.

I can't believe the knee jerk reactive comments. Do some reading.

I paid about $20K for my SXT. Add $5500 for the blower and tune, which come with it and lets see...still over $10K cheaper. Still has the mileage and still has the same VIN for insurance. ROFLMAO!
How much do you think a decent set of tires, wheels, suspension and brakes will run you?

I digress, you're absolutely right. Your mileage will be amazing since you'll never get to floor it, for fear that you're either roast the tires or spin yourself into a building or around a tree.

I sure hope your insurance company is mod friendly too, or they'll either refuse to cover you or charge you more. Or you can lie, and then hope they don't deny your claim should the worst come to happen.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Some people are always dead set to make something do what it was never designed to do. It ISN'T just drop S/C in and clap your hands saying I'm done. Brakes, suspension, drive train,(drive shafts, transmission). Yeah go ahead and scam the insurance out of a few nickels. I pay $571. per year for the Scat Pack. We all have to pay for the gas to have fun.
But, let us know how you do. Please!

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
945 Posts
Some people are always dead set to make something do what it was never designed to do. It ISN'T just drop S/C in and clap your hands saying I'm done. Brakes, suspension, drive train,(drive shafts, transmission). Yeah go ahead and scam the insurance out of a few nickels. I pay $571. per year for the Scat Pack. We all have to pay for the gas to have fun.
But, let us know how you do. Please!
Sounds like what my co-worker did almost plan to do with his '14 V6 Mustang. He just wanted to drop in an SC and that's it. I was like, umm, what about your brakes, suspensions, drivetrain sets, and many others? He said no needs to do so. I was like, okay, have fun walking to work every day then. Next thing I know he mysteriously claimed he changed his mind. I wonder why!

·
Registered
318 Posts
The 1970 Challenger was about 3000lbs, the weight of a current Honda Civic, while the 2018 SXT is 4100lbs. But conceptually it would be tough for the current design could lose even close to 1000lbs. Even losing the back seat is only about 50lbs. Even the stock hood is actually less than 50 lbs (shipping weight from Dodge all boxed up is 40). Lord knows the paint on mine is thin enough that there isn't any weight to save there either!

I'd have to agree that torque is the big enemy for the SXT. The rear end is geared with 2.62's! The Super Sport package comes with 3.06's for $1895 or you can get it with the Super Track Pack option for $1600. You might be surprised how different a car drives with a 0.40 difference in gearing. I changed my 73 Charger from 3.55's (which were whining) to 3.23's and the difference was pretty dramatic.

So if it were me, the first change I would make is gearing, but there is a lot out there on it and it probably requires some tuning changes too.

What I would like to see the six speed stick as an option with the V6...preferably in the GT so I can have AWD too! Until then I will keep driving my 2006 Tundra in the winter and enjoy the power of my SRT.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
702 Posts
Just get a V8. That’s why they make them. It really will be cheaper in the long run if you aren’t happy with the power of the V6.

I agree with the others. The 3.6 Challengers are darn zippy. The 8spd especially can keep up with *just about any production car made until the late 90’s. They just don’t have the V8 rumble or big displacement torque. Look up 1/4 mile times for “fast cars” from the past and compare. The 3.6 Challenger is no slouch.

You certainly can supercharge your V6, but as mentioned by others, 1 horsepower takes pretty much the same amount of fuel regardless of how you make it with a SI IC engine.

A 375hp SC V6 will likely use a little MORE fuel at WOT than a 5.7 V8. When you factor in the MDS system there won’t be much to discuss regarding hwy mileage.

·
Registered
463 Posts
The 1970 Challenger was about 3000lbs, the weight of a current Honda Civic, while the 2018 SXT is 4100lbs. But conceptually it would be tough for the current design could lose even close to 1000lbs. Even losing the back seat is only about 50lbs. Even the stock hood is actually less than 50 lbs (shipping weight from Dodge all boxed up is 40). Lord knows the paint on mine is thin enough that there isn't any weight to save there either!

I'd have to agree that torque is the big enemy for the SXT. The rear end is geared with 2.62's! The Super Sport package comes with 3.06's for $1895 or you can get it with the Super Track Pack option for $1600. You might be surprised how different a car drives with a 0.40 difference in gearing. I changed my 73 Charger from 3.55's (which were whining) to 3.23's and the difference was pretty dramatic.

So if it were me, the first change I would make is gearing, but there is a lot out there on it and it probably requires some tuning changes too.

What I would like to see the six speed stick as an option with the V6...preferably in the GT so I can have AWD too! Until then I will keep driving my 2006 Tundra in the winter and enjoy the power of my SRT.
The SXT comes in at 3834 lbs. The R/T is about 4050 lbs.

·
Registered
328 Posts
How much do you think a decent set of tires, wheels, suspension and brakes will run you?

I digress, you're absolutely right. Your mileage will be amazing since you'll never get to floor it, for fear that you're either roast the tires or spin yourself into a building or around a tree.

I sure hope your insurance company is mod friendly too, or they'll either refuse to cover you or charge you more. Or you can lie, and then hope they don't deny your claim should the worst come to happen.
LOL, the brakes and suspension are far more than adequate. I'm guessing you've never ran a 10 second ride, but you talk like you have. I ran 10 sec in the 80's using a 426 powered 65 Valiant. I've had two small block Cuda's, both with 4 speeds. I'm not too worried about being able to drive. You can stop worrying now.

Why do you bring up tires, wheels and brakes. The brakes on my SXT are miles beyond anything I've had in the past. It's not a road race car and it stops very well. The suspension is also miles beyond any previous car I've owned. But then the last HP Mopar I owned was a Cuda with a 340 4 spd. No IRS, or four wheel antiloc brakes. Let alone rotors as big as these. All in a car I got for $20K.

Unlike some people who speak first, I've already spoken to my insurance company. I know exactly what happens when I put a SC on my V6. Especially a CARB legal one.

I love it when people get butt hurt over being disagreed with. Then they start talking, but never do the research to back themselves up.

It's America, so you can have whatever opinion you want. It's yours, so please do own it. I don't grudge you that. But I don't agree, and I think a rational look at the numbers...and the OP's question might open some eyes.

Just looked at prices. The 2017 SRT 392 is $41K here in San Diego. Pretty good price I'd say. But nearly twice what I paid.

·
Registered
328 Posts
If they are going to tweak the 3.6 any I'd like to see its torque number increased. I think it's currently 268 which is a bit lame. For comparison purposes a 70 318 generated 230HP and 320 torque. It's the torque that gives you that seat of the pants push & thrill. The 70 340 4bbl was 275 hp I think but tq was around 340 so I think that little 70 340 car is going to do pretty well in any track competition vs the 3.6. Heck even the 74 360 at 245 HP was still generating 320 ponds of torque.

As far as gas mileage I find that my 013 3.6 gets around 24 on the daily drive, my 010 RT 6 spd did the same if I kept my foot out of it. If you go with the automatic in the RT you can skip the premium gas.

There are an awful lot of really nice low mileage 11-14 SRT's available for less than the price of a new SXT+ with a couple of options so when it comes time to hand your car down to your daughter you may want to keep that in mind if you feel the need for speed.

I've looked at the supercharger option for the 3.6 but my observation is that generally any time you mod something significantly it turns out to be a pain in the rear long term. I'd rather have something that does what I want it to do right out of the box. If you want the 470 HP range get the SRT and be done with it. The car is built as a total package to support the power.

Happy Motoring!
I wanted a brand new car, not used...so I got what I could afford. I also have 25 miles of bumper to bumper each day, both ways, so the V6 was a necessary thing for me. I love the high HP version and do envy those who can afford them. If I could afford a weekend car also, I'd definitely have a 392. They are great cars.

Being a small motor the V6 is lower on torque, but it is also hooked to (in Sport mode) a 6 speed, rather than a three speed. The A bodies I owned were in the 3200lb range, the E bodies 3475 so this car is definitely 400lbs fatter :)

There is at least one guy on here pushing the Sprintex to it's limits. So yes, he is pushing his car and drivetrain. The tune that comes with the kit is CARB legal and fairly conservative. I think the trans and rear end can take it. Even with that setup, you won't have the raw power of the 392's, but it's also several hundred pounds lighter. Who know's, maybe we'll see some times posted.

Just for me, not pushing my opinions on anyone, I think I'd be happy with my car as is. AFTER the warranty is expired I would seriously consider the blower. I've been building, or at least messing with my rides for 40 some years. I don't see that ending soon.

Happy motoring back to you, enjoy your ride.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts