Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I mentioned this product in a couple of threads and thought I would share my experiences.

There are several relatively new nano-sealants and permanent coatings that have been attracting attention in the detailing community especially in the last year. This particular product is from G/Techniq and is called C4 Permanent Trim Restorer. They say "permanent" but in actuality is really a semi-permanent coating that they claim will last up to two years. At about $50 for 20ml, it's not exactly cheap but even if it only lasts 6-12 months of the claimed 24, I will be satisfied.

I decided a couple of weeks ago to go ahead and apply C4 to a couple of areas on the wife's (or DD) 2008 Forester. For those that may be interested in this product, here are a couple of pictures and my initial impressions....

Cowl before:

Cowl 50/50 (including wiper arm):

Rear bumper guard before (with flash):

Rear bumper guard 50/50:

Rear bumper guard after (with flash):

Rear bumper guard after (no flash):

Rear Bumper after (with flash....lower trim also has C4 applied):

Rear Bumper after (no flash):

The car hadn't been washed for a week so I did a quick clean up of the pieces I applied the C4 to which included a thorough wipe down with IPA. The wiper arm needed restoration IMO before application of the C4 but I was running out of time and just wanted to get the product on these bits before the wife needed to take the car.

Application is very easy with the supplied applicators (they look like little, round, cotton make up removers.....shown in the 2nd pic). Tight crevices, ridges, etc. (like the Forester lettering on the rear bumper guard) are easily reached with a cotton swab. After application I gently wiped the areas immediately after with an MF towel as per the instructions. The finish is satin-like with a little more sheen than I probably would want but if this stuff lasts the 1-2 years they say it does, I think it's worth it. I also applied C4 to the rocker panels, rear apron, chin spoiler, tail light and front grille surround of my 2010 Challenger R/T. I was planning on finishing the cowl and will add pics of that.

I'll try to post updates as time goes by. I'm really hoping this product lives up to the hype and will keep its finish as the months pass. In the meantime, here a couple of pictures to show the beading characteristics of the C4 on the plastic bits I applied it to (snapped these after I washed the wife's car last weekend). While I don't take this beading as any sort of meaningful indicator at this point, I thought I could use it as a base line for future follow ups. ....FWIW:

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
The treated areas look really good. I've never heard of this stuff. Thanks for posting this info with photos for us Kean.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No problem guys. These types of product discussions don't always move beyond detailing-specific website forums. I'm glad some of you here find this info interesting/useful. I will update from time to time and also try to provide some pictures of my Challenger this weekend. ....including some "50/50's" of the cowling I have yet to apply it to (I have already coated most of the other plastic trim on the car).

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are just a couple of snapshots showing some beading 3 months later (FWIW):

....in this prewash photo you can see some fading around the letters on the bumper cover. This fading is not dirt and remains even after the surface is dry. I prepped the plastic using an IPA solution as per the directions (paying special attention around those edges with cotton swabs). However, I will still admit there is a possibility my prep may be the cause:

I will take some more shots when I can. The cowling needs to be redone. In the sun, it doesn't look as faded as it did with in the initail pictures but still doesn't have that "healthy" look. IMO/IME (so far) I believe part of that is the fact that C4 doesn't seem to be that great of a restorative product and more of just a clear coating.

However, I will say it does seem to be holding up quite well on my Challenger so far but then again, the trim was in perfect shape prior to application as well. Here are some shots of the beading and an idea of how well water flows from the prepared trim surface it is applied to. I "flood rinsed" half of the top of the bumper as a quick example:

....I will be ordering Valugard ETR in the near future for use on an Avalanche. I may just try it out on the cowling of the Forester to see how it goes (since it includes a dye as a 2nd step (if desired) along with a separate semi-perm coating).

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
....just to clarify, the Dodge is my weekend car (used once for commuting during the week), both cars are garage and the picture of the front end of the Challenger was taken a couple of washes after application of C4. I will try to continue adding updates for those who are interested.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts