Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Through lurking in the forums and trying to select their products my impression is that G5 challenger has gone under but BMC extreme customs picked up their tall rear spoiler and notched rear spoiler designs. Has anyone bought a G series spoiler from BMC or is this a relatively new development? My impression is the G5 products were fairly nice but I wasn't sure if the "G series" spoilers had the same amount of fit and finish to them?

Take it easy
Jay

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
I'm currently writing a full review of the "first one" now. Ill post it here too if you'd like.
Fit and and finish= 6.5 Needed sanding/finishing. Bottom is bowed in the middle so doesn't ever make contact with the trunk. One side required more sanding than the other. Uses metal threaded holes where the OEM uses built in bolts on the bumper. No hardware included with the G5 (local hardware store run for bolts washers and 3M tape). Threaded holes did not match up to OEM holes on trunk. Required drill filing both holes toward centerline of trunk about 3/16" to be able to center it up with bolts.

On the other hand it wasn't too bad to do the finishing with some sanding sponges. I expected to have to do some prep work anyway. I painted it with Plasti dip just fine. Im very particular about my car and what goes on it so I made the best of it considering I got my spoiler at a heck of a discount. Now that its on and seems sturdy and solid after the day and a half I spent on it start to finish, Im really impressed with the look its given my R/T. I like it a lot better than OEM thats for dang sure. Got a T/A style Challenger R/T decal coming for the right side. My wife (who is my biggest critic to everything that goes on OUR car, as she gets it as a show car when I get my Viper).

But I'll let you be the judge.:soapbox:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
a few more

Attachments

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fit and and finish= 6.5 Needed sanding/finishing. Bottom is bowed in the middle so doesn't ever make contact with the trunk. One side required more sanding than the other.
Thanks for the info is the bottom being bowed a positive? I was thinking you were sanding to remove the gap so that it would sit flush with the trunk? I like the way the spoiler looks and it looks great against the yellow so nice job on your install :respect:. I'll have to debate it some more with a one year old and a 4 year old getting a day and a half to do prep work is hard to come by but I've got most the winter to figure it out.

Take it easy
Jay

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
THANKS for the positive feedback. Yeah it really POPS and IMHO gives a mean rake look on the stock suspension. As far as the "gap" goes, no it's not a positive thing. It is bowed underneath and with the sanding that would have to be done it would take away from the height of the spoiler. I hope I can convince BMC to address this issue if they are to sell them at that price. I'll get a pic of it later today for ya. It's not noticeable unless A: the trunk is open, and B: you look at it from the side dead on. I've been driving highway speeds to and from work for the last two days and checking it. Seems to be holding solid.
I know what your talking about with having 2 kids (4 & 2) running around. That's why it took the day and a half. Between working on the spoiler and running after them it was trying at times. Luckily they are pretty self sufficient when it comes to throwing a movie on and watching it while I "work" or riding their bikes.
Side note I've never done any of the work I did before and it was my first time with plastidip so I figured I couldn't completely ruin anything, and in the end I really impressed myself. Lol.
Again thanks for the compliments and I'll update this thread once I've talked to BMC a little bit more in length to see if we can work to address the issues so they are putting out a high quality product that we all as customers and enthusiasts expect.

·
Registered
426 Posts
When G5 marketed them there was some 2 sided tape and nuts with the package. The OEM spoiler has tape under it also. Without the tape as temps increase the gap gets bigger.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Yeah I'll watch for that in the spring. I plastered the entire length of the bottom with 3M extreme hold double sides tape so hopefully that works.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Sorry it took a bit but here are some pics of the small gaps and how far over the bolt holes had to be notched.
ImageUploadedByAG Free1385092350.904032.jpg
ImageUploadedByAG Free1385092422.847385.jpg
ImageUploadedByAG Free1385092447.945104.jpg
ImageUploadedByAG Free1385092461.427645.jpg
I made them sound worse than they are. Been driving for over a week now. Still tight and no leaks from the remaining holes. And it's rained almost daily all day here in sunny Washington state.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 8 of 8 Posts