Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read that the Pontiac G8 is returning - as a Chevrolet. GM has yet to disclose its new name.

·
Registered
783 Posts
This is true, its been reported in many places, however the details have been lacking about it. They havent declared a name for it, much less any description or pictures of what the car is going to look like.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
The Chevelle with the high end model being the SS. That's what it should be. I know many would poo poo that name since this will probably be a 4-door. Too bad the Monte Carlo is gone, I always though those sold quite well.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I thought that I had read that it would be borrowed from the Holden platform and returning as the Caprice? Anyway, GM should take some cues from Australia - they know how to build nice cars!

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
I thought that I had read that it would be borrowed from the Holden platform and returning as the Caprice? Anyway, GM should take some cues from Australia - they know how to build nice cars!
I read that the G8 is/was a rebadged Australian import. My understanding as of last year, is that it's returning under the Caprice name as a police cruiser only.

I feel it's more worthy of the Impala name than what they have now.

·
Registered
783 Posts
The G8 was a rebaged Holden(GM's Australian subsidary) Commodore. In fact it was even manufactured in Australia. The current Camaro is basically a reskined G8, allthough the Camaro is built in Canada. I have been following the car pretty closely because I thought it would make a great daily driver (keep me from driving my Challenger too much) and I can tell you that GM has release very little information about its plans besides the fact that they want to bring it back as a Chevy. There is a G8 forum - and those guys dont seem to have any clue as to what its supposed to be called. The only model name info that I have ever found on it is this:
" in July 2009, Bob Lutz made an off-hand comment during a press review that the G8 would be revived as the Chevrolet Caprice. Subsequently, Lutz retracted this statement, citing market conditions.[3][4]"

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
The G8 was a rebaged Holden(GM's Australian subsidary) Commodore. In fact it was even manufactured in Australia. The current Camaro is basically a reskined G8, allthough the Camaro is built in Canada. I have been following the car pretty closely because I thought it would make a great daily driver (keep me from driving my Challenger too much) and I can tell you that GM has release very little information about its plans besides the fact that they want to bring it back as a Chevy. There is a G8 forum - and those guys dont seem to have any clue as to what its supposed to be called. The only model name info that I have ever found on it is this:
" in July 2009, Bob Lutz made an off-hand comment during a press review that the G8 would be revived as the Chevrolet Caprice. Subsequently, Lutz retracted this statement, citing market conditions.[3][4]"
I do know that it's gone further than that. GM actually shopped the Caprice cruiser to U.S. police departments. I read there wasn't a welcome reception because of the center console, which with officer's utility belts, made the interior a tight fit. Maybe this is what Lutz meant by "market conditions."

·
Registered
85 Posts
Interesting fact for those that didn't know - the 2004-2006 GTOs were rebadged Holden Monaros. I believe GM also sold them in some countries as the Chevy Lumina SS. I wish GM cars were more Holden than Chevy.

·
Registered
896 Posts

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Why go GM? stay in the Chrysler family the new charger or 300 are way more cool. Your Challenger wants you to have one of it's brothers beside it not some kid from another family !!! :thumbsup:

. I have been following the car pretty closely because I thought it would make a great daily driver (keep me from driving my Challenger too much)

·
Registered
783 Posts
I am not happy with the Charger's looks. The improved the rear and side profile in the 2011 is good enough for me, but the front grill has got to go. I would buy it if Dodge made it look something like a 68-70's Charger grilll.
I wont be buying the G8 if its comming back as that Caprice either. That thing looks terrible. The G8 had a good mix of sport sedan with american muscle look to it.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
395 Posts
I don't know why it should take GM so long. I saw plenty of those Holdens/G8s badged as Chevys when I was in Saudi over two years ago.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts