Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Vendor
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stage 3 of my garage build (Stage 1 was the garage itself, Stage 2 was the floor which I posted about earlier) is now complete. More stages coming soon.

After much research, I finally decided on a Challenger VS-10. I laid out the columns using Rhino Ramps which closely approximate the column size. My garage is 25'3" deep and the ceiling height is 13'0" at the center, and my goal was to put the columns as far back as possible while still allowing room to park (small) cars between them and the overhead door, even if it was "tight." While I never plan to own 5 cars, it doesn't hurt to plan. I also needed to ensure enough room behind them to lift any vehicle up to a large SUV (I don't own one, but friends do).

I had it professionally installed by a skilled local shop. They took their time and did a great job. The lower stops aren't adjusted quite right (from the factory), so they have to come out and re-shim the carriages, but the lift works and I can at least get working on cars now. No comments about the electrical wire - I obviously only set that up as a "quickie" to get the lift running and will re-do it this weekend properly :)

Next up I need to finish electrical, compressor lines, and then get HVAC and insulation installed.

Pictures are not modified or cleaned up - this is just how they came out of the camera so please forgive any bad lighting or contrast, etc.

Want to know a cool but unexpected benefit of having a lift? For those of us with bad knees and/or backs (I'm not that old yet, but it's happening already!) it helps with washing/polishing and detailing. You can get the wheels, rockers, and lower door areas right up to eye level.

Such as:

·
Registered
2010 SRT8
1,832 Posts
Oh to be so lucky to have that garage.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Looks great. I'm been looking at lifts also. How did you decide on the Challenger lift (besides the name, of course). I've been focusing on Bendpak. Do you recall the slab thickness requirements for your lift?

·
Vendor
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks great. I'm been looking at lifts also. How did you decide on the Challenger lift (besides the name, of course). I've been focusing on Bendpak. Do you recall the slab thickness requirements for your lift?
It was a combo of price and features, but Bendpak makes a great lift also. We (being another local buddy who bought one at the same time) both wanted full ALI and ETL certification for liability/insurance reasons also.

I think they want a min. of 4" thick, 3500psi cured for at least 28 days. Other places I've seen quote 3000psi which is pretty standard for garages. Mine is 5000psi and about 8" thick at that location (because it's suspended, meaning there's a full size open basement underneath).

·
Banned
4,131 Posts
Its best to plan for your lift during construction and pour the slab 6" instead of 4" around where the post will be.

Looks good! If I could quit spending money on other crap I have a detached garage planned in my future. Very JEALOUS over here!

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
It was a combo of price and features, but Bendpak makes a great lift also. We (being another local buddy who bought one at the same time) both wanted full ALI and ETL certification for liability/insurance reasons also.

I think they want a min. of 4" thick, 3500psi cured for at least 28 days. Other places I've seen quote 3000psi which is pretty standard for garages. Mine is 5000psi and about 8" thick at that location (because it's suspended, meaning there's a full size open basement underneath).
Thanks - can you fill me in on ALI/ETL certification. I'm also debating a scissor jack. It may very well serve most of the same purpose at less cost and less construction related issues. Thanks

Mark

·
Vendor
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks - can you fill me in on ALI/ETL certification. I'm also debating a scissor jack. It may very well serve most of the same purpose at less cost and less construction related issues. Thanks

Mark
It's related to industry standards regarding safety of the lift. Here's some more info:

Automotive Lift Inspectors, Automotive Lift Standards, ALI Certification Program

I debated scissor, but didn't want to drive up on top of a set of ramps when parking in there, and I like having nothing but the columns there so I can roll things underneath from any direction without having to go over bumps, humps, ramps, wires, cords, etc.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Freestanding 4 Post Lifts

I have had mine for about 10 years.Purchased from Eagle.Their lifts were American made until about 2 yrs ago when they went foreign & cheap.The garage is a standard 20'x 20' attached two car garage with a 9' ceiling.BTW,My Challenger resides in it's own garage around back.Mopars & Chevs don't get along!

Attachments

·
Vendor
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very nice. Did they have any problems getting the anchors to take hold in the concrete --- I've heard of such happening?
Nope, went in very easily. He drilled down about 8" and still didn't get through the concrete all the way.

·
Vendor
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That looks awesome. I'm jealous of that for sure.

What are you gonna do to run the air lines around the shop?
Speedy, I did a bunch of research and ended up reading that using PVC is bad (that's what I installed in the walls of my attached garage while the house was being built, oh well!) and the main options are iron or something similar to what I went with, which is called RapidAir. Got it from Northern Tool.

REALLY nice stuff. Their $100 "kit" comes with one manifold, two wall outlets, and 100 feet of flexible 3/8" line. I got two kits, but it looks like I have just barely enough to do two outlets in the garage, including the long run from the compressor, which is buried in the center of the main house's basement.

One outlet is going by the man door so that I can run a quick line to the attached garage for tire pressure checks, and the other I have dropped down from the leftmost lift post, where I'll install a nice quality 50' reel I bought at Northern just last weekend on sale for $50.

What's left now is to move my water trap upstairs so that I can empty it at will, rather than going to the house and basement, and also to finish off the wall outlets themselves. Last night in the freezing cold I got the air line above the lift run, so there's just a little work left on that to do this weekend.

It can be challenging working alone with the coil of hose because it's quite rigid and coils up tightly when cold, but I was able to secure one section at a time, move up several feet, secure it again, and keep on going til I was at the end. it required a lot of ladder work but was fun.

·
Vendor
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Damn I'm jealous! My garage was built in 1960 and is tiny compared to that bad boy...

HemiSam
Sam, don't worry - even "modern" garages in relatively "nice" homes like mine are small as heck. They call a 20x30 a "3 car" garage, but I have to pull the 3rd car almost up against the wall if I want to park 3 cars in there. It's not really workable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts