Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm familiar with hangar floor coatings, painting, etc and the problems that come with a beautiful painted showroom floor. I'll be moving in a new home in a couple of months with a 750 sq. foot 3 three car garage. My question is "can I just seal the floor with something like Thompson water seal to prevent the black tire marks from permanently staining the floor?"
I don't want to paint the floor, or invest money in a coating system. I just want to be able to keep the concrete decent looking. Also does the concrete need to be cured a certain length of time before anything is applied? The garage pad is poured now and will be about 70 days old when the home is finally finished.
Hoping to get a little "first hand knowledge" from someone who did this.
A painted floor is beautiful but, I don't want to spend hours cleaning a floor. I know the hot tires are responsible for the marks so would a simple seal job be a good idea. Otherwise I may just throw down used house carpet and change that out every few years.

·
Registered
940 Posts
You don't have to wait but a day or two and it should do what you want. Just make sure you get concrete sealer.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
Concrete sealer. I'd wait a month or so after you move in.... Make sure you wash it down very well and have it completely dry and then seal it. I seal ours once a year to keep from Ohio salt eating it away.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really don't want to use paint, repainting in the future, keeping it clean, etc. too much work for me. I used to work in an 8,800 square foot hangar and when we built it they polished the concrete floor, smooth as glass and really easy to keep clean. Just want to avoid permanent staining from the rubber tire marks. Thompson's water seal may be the ticket, would I need concrete sealer before Thompson's? or just the Thompson's.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I'm looking into staining the concrete floor - I would like some color.

I also saw an ad for this in Mopar Muscle - so it may be something addiitonal to consider: www.bltllc.com they are roll out garage and basement floor covers.

·
Registered
151 Posts
be careful using carpet I had a friend once lose a really nice Mustang to carpet on his floor from a hot exhaust. he just forgot once oh and on a side note the house was gone too !

·
Registered
959 Posts
That stuff looks interesting.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

make sure you look around thru the site as they have additional pages with mats for motorcycles and smaller sections for cars that measure 7x17 feet. They also have some versions that have a photofinish. The more I poked around the more varieties I found.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I know you said you did not want the epoxy kits, but seriously I spend 10 minutes with a garden hose and broom.
Could not be easier to keep clean and stands up to hot tires/chemical.

Attachments

·
Registered
515 Posts
I used the epoxy coating you get at home depot. Been on the floor almost 10 years and looks pretty darn good. I think it's worth the extra efort.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I used a concrete stain and it looks great. You don't have to worry about it peeling. All you have to do to clean it is spray a little water on it and squeegee it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts