Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you can see from the picture, the clear coat on the gas cap badge is peeling off. It's under warranty but they ordered an entire new gas cap filler assembly and will need the car for an afternoon to replace it. I'm inclined to skip the dealer visit (45min trip each way, etc) and replace the badge with something else. Or, I could just repaint the badge in matte black after beadblasting the old paint off. Question is- has anyone removed one of these without destroying it? They appear to be just stuck on with adhesive.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
No, but....the entire assembly can be had for less than $80, and it literally takes 5 minutes to swap them out. Reach behind the inner fender, press in on three plastic tabs and it pops right out. The new one pops right in. I took the shiny chrome one off of my all-black R/T Classic and put the black one on. Then sold the used one on EBAY for $65. The entire swap-out cost me $15. You might not get $65 for yours, but someone who want's to customize it might pay $30.

Alternately, you could remove the existing lettering clean up the surface and either apply a piece of satin black vinyl, or some custom/personalized emblem. I never liked the word "FUEL" on mine. A Ford-fanatic friend of mine says that MOPAR does that because MOPAR owners aren't smart enough to know to no put anti-freeze in there and most wonder where the "GAS" goes since there's no lid labelled "GAS".

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I can always tell when my dealer service rep is exaggerating his time estimate.........it's when his lips are moving.

To be fair, it's not just Chrysler service reps. My local Honda service is no different. Remember, these people are in the business to make a profit. And you can't make a profit charging for 5 minutes labor on a 5 minute job.

Speaking of exaggerating. I'm guilty It was more like 7 or 8 minutes to swap the fuel cap. I forgot about putting the tools away, that I got out but didn't need (It was a long hot walk from the driveway to the tool-box in the garage that day, especially when I kept stopping to sip my icy-cold beer

This guy did it in 3:00 and was filming himself.

).

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
691 Posts
Yes. I’m in the process of swapping mine. Haven’t decided on the replacement.

3 tips:

Use painters tape over the whole cap then use your fingernail around the emblem to cut the tape to shape.

Open the door and use a heat gun on one side and put your hand on the other side. When the backside gets hot to the touch, it’s ready to remove.

Use 2 small electronics screwdrivers for careful prying.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I heated the inside of the door with a heat gun to get the adhesive soft and then used a very thin spatula to work around the edges and pry it off. Let it sit in lacquer thinner for 10 min and cleaned all the paint off. It is shiny aluminum under the paint just like the lettering. Beadblasted it so the paint would stick good and painted it with matte black. I like the entire badge being black too without FUEL being chrome. Use thin 3M industrial double sided tape to reinstall. Total time, maybe 20 min not including drying time. Time to drive to the dealer - at least 45 min each way, so no entire afternoon wasted...

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
691 Posts
I heated the inside of the door with a heat gun to get the adhesive soft and then used a very thin spatula to work around the edges and pry it off. Let it sit in lacquer thinner for 10 min and cleaned all the paint off. It is shiny aluminum under the paint just like the lettering. Beadblasted it so the paint would stick good and painted it with matte black. I like the entire badge being black too without FUEL being chrome. Use thin 3M industrial double sided tape to reinstall. Total time, maybe 20 min not including drying time. Time to drive to the dealer - at least 45 min each way, so no entire afternoon wasted...
Pics?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pics...
Stuck the 3M tape on and then painted the back side... then the front, then stuck it on the door. The black I used is slightly blacker than the rest of it but that was true of the original paint on the badge.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,292 Posts
Get gassed

Pics...
Stuck the 3M tape on and then painted the back side... then the front, then stuck it on the door. The black I used is slightly blacker than the rest of it but that was true of the original paint on the badge.
I went a different route with my gas cap, and yes, about 10 mins. to do the swap. >:)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts