Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mentioned in another thread about the Gascap warning I've gotten; but, now I need more wisdom from the knowledge base on this site.

A few days ago I got this dreaded message. I checked the cap and it and the O ring looked fine. It was on tight. I usually turn it 6 -10 clicks after adding fuel. Anyway, later that day I get a CEL. It was code 0456 showing there an Emissions issue and a very small vacuum leak. Figuring it was the gas cap, I deleted the code. Naturally the warning message did not go away. I ordered a new OEM cap and installed it yesterday. Yep, the Gascap warning was still there. Again I verified no O ring issue on the new cap and I also cleaned off the opening of the filler tube to make sure there wasn't anything there preventing a good seal. Once again, the Gascap warning was still there. Today, the CEL reappeared with a 0457 code - Emissions issue and this time it specifically indicated the gas cap was loose or off. I erased the code but the message is still there.

Does anyone have an idea what I should do to resolve this? It was suggested to me to put some silicone lube on the O ring. Before I get some, I thought I'd check in here. Thanks for any ideas.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Is the car fairly new? I have read a few topics in the fuel pump oring leaking. That may throw a similar code if it is letting air in? Have you smelled fuel inside the car? The only info I have is that I have never actually had a fuel cap code result in a fuel cap problem. Once it was a charcoal canister, and another time a stuck check valve in a vent line. Neither of those instances were on a charger or challenger though. Just spitballing here, so please keep us updated.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pak
285 Posts
Is the emissions warranty still in effect on your vehicle? Sounds like you have a leak in the vapor recovery system.

1 or 2 clicks is all that's needed on the cap.

DeWFPo

·
Super Moderator
17,238 Posts
you'll need to have a smoke test to determine where the leak could be. fuel cap is just one of the items to eliminate for leaks.

it could be the vent lines to / from the purge valve (engine bay) or between the fuel tank and charcoal canister

its designed as a sealed system and would hold a vacuum which the pressure sensor detects whether that system is working or not.

·
Registered
2020 Shelby GT350
555 Posts
Try a new gas cap. I was getting random check engine lights on a vehicle. Bought a new oem cap, and no more error.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To answer the questions from the above responses. It is a '13 R/T. It is not under any warranty. I get the Gascap message where the odometer normally appears. When I pulled the codes after the CEL appeared it specifically said the gas cap was loose or off. Without the CEL but still with the message, I get no codes.

However, if it could be something else in the emissions system, the only thing that's happened recently was 7 days before this message appeared I had the evaporative emissions cannister replaced under the recall notice UB4.

Reactions: T240guy

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
To answer the questions from the above responses. It is a '13 R/T. It is not under any warranty. I get the Gascap message where the odometer normally appears. When I pulled the codes after the CEL appeared it specifically said the gas cap was loose or off. Without the CEL but still with the message, I get no codes.

However, if it could be something else in the emissions system, the only thing that's happened recently was 7 days before this message appeared I had the evaporative emissions cannister replaced under the recall notice UB4.
Then I would suggest take it back to the dealer that did the recall and have them look into it. They may have forgotten to hook an evap line back up or something.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Then I would suggest take it back to the dealer that did the recall and have them look into it. They may have forgotten to hook an evap line back up or something.
Yeah, that's the plan. We are out of town for Christmas and will return next week. If they will hoist it up and look at no charge, it's a go. If they will charge me for looking if that's not the problem, it will wait until next May when I can pull the wheel in my garage and look. Until then I'm in a condo complex and cannot work on the car in the parking lot.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I took it to the dealership that performed the recall work. After explaining the problem and my purchase of a new gas cap from their parts department, I asked the service writer a simple question: Will you be willing to put my car on a hoist, remove the wheel and splash shield, and check the 2 quick connect connections at the canister? If they are fine, will do this for no charge as I'm sure you wouldn't charge me if there were a bad connection causing the problem? The response I got was a great end run. He said before they would put it on a lift, they would read codes to determine if it is something else causing the problem. I left and will look at it in May in my garage. Now, if they would allow me in their shop to watch the guy looking at the codes and then watch them lift the car and check the connections, I may have bit. But, of course, "insurance regulations do not permit customers in the work area" which is code for "without you watching we can correct the bad connection and then tell you it was something else for which we replaced a part and you owe us $287.00."

Before anyone goes crazy, I know there are many honest dealers out there; but, there's no telling which is which if you haven't had a lot of interaction with them. I've not had much experience with this dealership so I'm skeptical. I'll just live with it until May as it's not the biggest issue I'll have the rest of my life.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm resurrecting this old thread to ask another question. When I was able to put the car up in early May to look at the emissions canister, I anticipated seeing one of the 2 hoses with a loose connection. I didn't care to remove the canister so was stuck trying to determine if the hoses were on tight. I actually believe the connections were tight. However, what I did find does concern me and I'm thinking it may be the cause of my issues with the CEL. The "Detector - Evaporative System Integrity Module" has a lot of wobble in it. It seems to be secure; but, looking at it I assume it should fit securely and tight to the canister which isn't the case at all. Regardless of which direction I moved it, it had a good 1/4" wobble. Can someone confirm my suspicion this part should be tight against the canister with no noticeable wobble? It is part # 3 in the picture.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
671 Posts
Yes, the ESIM should be very tight against the cannister. There is an O-ring seal between the ESIM and the cannister that has to be seated properly in order for the seal to be tight enough to pass the small leak test. The dealership would probably want to keep the car overnight in order to do a PCM Small leak verification test. But since you see the ESIM is loose, I would put a new O-ring on it and make sure it seats tight against the cannister. If it does, you probably have fixed the problem. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, the ESIM should be very tight against the cannister. There is an O-ring seal between the ESIM and the cannister that has to be seated properly in order for the seal to be tight enough to pass the small leak test. The dealership would probably want to keep the car overnight in order to do a PCM Small leak verification test. But since you see the ESIM is loose, I would put a new O-ring on it and make sure it seats tight against the cannister. If it does, you probably have fixed the problem. Good luck.
Thanks for the response. Can you tell me if the ESIM is removed by simply turning it counter clockwise and then reinstalls by turning it clockwise. I'd prefer not to break any tabs, etc. trying to remove it. I'll order a new "O" ring. Again, thanks. I appreciate the help. (y)

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
671 Posts
There is a tab that is pressed towards the ESIM before turning it to remove it. The tab is sort of hidden, so use a light to see it better. Once you see the tab, it will make sense how to remove and reinstall the ESIM.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Again, thanks for the help. Right now I'm back at the condo where I can't work on the car; but, I'll be back at our other home next week when I can get under the car and look at it. I should have the "O" ring by then. (y)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts