Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Paid my gas guzzlers tax when I got my challenger.... Can I claim that on my taxes?

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
I wish...

·
Premium Member
9,658 Posts
What I find interesting is they figure the average gas mileage between highway and city and if that is under a certain number you get charged the 1000 dollar gas guzzler tax. When I got the paperwork to my car from the dealer it had a document from the state of New Jersey explaining the dollar amounts but the funny thing is they rounded up my fuel mile average to the next whole number which was above the cutoff so I ask the dealer if my average according to state is the higher number how can I charge in a gas guzzler tax in the first place. Go back to grade school math, weren't you taught .5 and over you rounded up to the next whole number? Guess not when it makes the government $1000 per car.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
What I find interesting is they figure the average gas mileage between highway and city and if that is under a certain number you get charged the 1000 dollar gas guzzler tax. When I got the paperwork to my car from the dealer it had a document from the state of New Jersey explaining the dollar amounts but the funny thing is they rounded up my fuel mile average to the next whole number which was above the cutoff so I ask the dealer if my average according to state is the higher number how can I charge in a gas guzzler tax in the first place. Go back to grade school math, weren't you taught .5 and over you rounded up to the next whole number? Guess not when it makes the government $1000 per car.
I agree... having paid the darn tax twice now... and getting better fuel economy in the V8 than my wife's V6...

1,931 Posts
Unfortunely the gas guzzler tax is not deductible on an individual tax return. The GGT is considered a federal excise tax and federal excise taxes cannot be deducted on form 1040 schedule A.

Another reason is in order for a tax to be deductible it has to be imposed on the taxpayer. The GGT is imposed on the manufacturer, not the end user. The manufacturer is just passing the tax on to the customer.

The above pertains to individuals and not businesses. A business usually will be able to include the GGT as part of the vehicle purchase price.

Link to a tax guide.. http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p17.pdf

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lol, all very true comments! I was just trying to squeeze all I could out of my return this year!

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Lol, all very true comments! I was just trying to squeeze all I could out of my return this year!
You should!!! This month, I traded in, TRADED IN, my 14k mile 2011 Billet Silver SRT8 for $35k. In late Jan of '11, I only paid $43.9k for it new---Three years ago!!!!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
It's double taxation because you will buy more gas than a non gas guzzler, and tax is already charged by the gallon.

Should be illegal and unconstitutional.....

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Strange how they don't take into account common mathematical customs....

When I bought my Magnum SRT-8...no guzzler tax. At the time it was considered a "truck"... tax didn't apply. When I bought my Ram SRT-10 RC, no tax. It was a truck of course that NEVER EVER saw above 15 mpg! Average around 10 mpg combined. My SRT-8 Challenger...well I guess it was my turn to pay the Feds....you can run but you can't hide, lol.

·
Premium Member
9,658 Posts
You should!!! This month, I traded in, TRADED IN, my 14k mile 2011 Billet Silver SRT8 for $35k. In late Jan of '11, I only paid $43.9k for it new---Three years ago!!!!
And replaced it with?......

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Freedom is not free, but at least you can buy it. In your case it's only $1000.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Couldn't agree with you more. DEPORT DEPORT DEPORT
Geez...the stuff one gets to read on here :notallthere:

But getting back to the gas guzzler question: I see it as part of the cost for the privilege of owning one of these beauties :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts