Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am noticing on my new to me 2012 R/T Classic I'll have the gas light come on and the Distance to Empty feature will show "low fuel" but when I go to fill it up I won't get more than 17 gallons in before the pump does an auto shut off.

Is my tank's calibration off? Or is my car just trying to be REALLY sure I don't run out of gas? :huh:

Anyone else have this?

·
Registered
413 Posts
the low fuel light changes at i believe 45 miles left until empty which on average would be about 2 gallons. the car has i believe a 19 gallon tank. so that is about what you should be getting. i am assuming they got sued because someone ran out of gas because the miles left to empty thing was inaccurate and not it just says low fuel when they get close.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
That's normal operation - when low fuel light kicks on, the DTE will only display "Low Fuel" message where the calculation was...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I get that it'll show "low fuel" when the gas light comes on, it just seemed weird to me that it would come on with 2+ gallons still in the tank. Maybe I'm just too used to a car that gets 30+ mpg.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
It seems weird that this is a big deal. :D Light comes on, get gas. Simple. Or don't wait until the light comes on.

·
Premium Member
4,039 Posts
If it gave you a reading of "XX miles" when the light went off, I don't think it would be accurate if you then went thru a spell of spirited driving. A couple of good WOT rips could use it all up, and you'd be on the side of the road, looking for a ride to the gas station. If they flash the "low fuel" message, it's now up to you to decide how soon to full 'er up.

·
Premium Member
9,676 Posts
The fuel pump sits in the fuel which helps tp keep it cool. I was told not to run the level low too often as it can help shorten the pumps life, some may or may not agree with that idea.
My light has never come on so I can't say when or even know where it's located.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I usually don't let mine get below 1/4 of a tank on the Challenger and on the Harley.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I get that it'll show "low fuel" when the gas light comes on, it just seemed weird to me that it would come on with 2+ gallons still in the tank. Maybe I'm just too used to a car that gets 30+ mpg.
Hey URHeel,

MY RT gets anywhere from 12 mpg to 28.5 mpg depending on where I am driving it. So at the low end, 2 gallons is 24 miles.

BTW, the 28.5 mpg is on my freeway trips and the 12 mpg is around my town, with lots of stop signs, low speeds, lots of idling, short trips. I came from a 6 cylinder Dodge (Plymouth) voyager, which had much more consistent mileage from trip to trip. It took a while to figure this car out.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Go to extended evic, and read the gas in what I believe is pints, ~76 per tank (L & R) for 152 total after fill up, or 19 gallons. Nice thing about it is that it is real time, so you can see the gas sloshing around as you drive. Used it Sunday, when my fuel was low. I was down to about 11, and fill up bore that out, at 17.6 gallons.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Go to extended evic, and read the gas in what I believe is pints, ~76 per tank (L & R) for 152 total after fill up, or 19 gallons. Nice thing about it is that it is real time, so you can see the gas sloshing around as you drive. Used it Sunday, when my fuel was low. I was down to about 11, and fill up bore that out, at 17.6 gallons.
Didn't know that information was there! Unfortunately I can seldom get into my extended Evic, it's really flaky as to when it will work, do you have a trick? And I think the Low Fuel message when the light comes ON is a good idea, too many idiots would trust a distance to go indicator too much and run out of gas. I've only seen my low fuel light twice.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
My light has never come on so I can't say when or even know where it's located.
The section between the 1/4 and empty in the fuel gauge will light up in amber. You also get a chime each time the car is started to remind you.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Didn't know that information was there! Unfortunately I can seldom get into my extended Evic, it's really flaky as to when it will work, do you have a trick? And I think the Low Fuel message when the light comes ON is a good idea, too many idiots would trust a distance to go indicator too much and run out of gas. I've only seen my low fuel light twice.

Go to the compass display, hold the up button for 10 secs, then the down button till it appears. Scroll through till you see the page that has LT xx and RT xx at the bottom, left and right tank, gas will be visable in each tank in pints.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
Go to the compass display, hold the up button for 10 secs, then the down button till it appears. Scroll through till you see the page that has LT xx and RT xx at the bottom, left and right tank, gas will be visable in each tank in pints.
Those units are liters.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
my fuel pump is all jacked up. i would sit at a red light and it would go from half to 1/4 of gas just sitting there. I already had the fuel pump changed once but its still doing it. it gets worse and worse everyday. i dont understand how it can move like that just from sitting. whats weird to is if im in park it goes back up but if its in drive and at a red light it goes down.
one time it said i only had half of a 1/4 tank of gas left. i put in 10 dollars and it went past the half. SMDH!!!!
Alicia

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
my fuel pump is all jacked up. i would sit at a red light and it would go from half to 1/4 of gas just sitting there. I already had the fuel pump changed once but its still doing it. it gets worse and worse everyday. i dont understand how it can move like that just from sitting. whats weird to is if im in park it goes back up but if its in drive and at a red light it goes down.
one time it said i only had half of a 1/4 tank of gas left. i put in 10 dollars and it went past the half. SMDH!!!!
Alicia
That's an issue with the sender (erroneous fuel level readings) or something to do with the cross-over between the L / R sides of the fuel tank (there's two fuel pumps in the tank).

The fuel gauge should be rock steady, as it averages the levels of the L / R sides together to produce the fuel level.

·
Registered
22 Posts
That's an issue with the sender (erroneous fuel level readings) or something to do with the cross-over between the L / R sides of the fuel tank (there's two fuel pumps in the tank).

The fuel gauge should be rock steady, as it averages the levels of the L / R sides together to produce the fuel level.
Yea I told those people something was up. I think they only changed one fuel pump not sure. I have no clue why its going back and forth like that its annoying. He said the miles to empty would move around but its the gauge too because the miles to empty is moving so drastically. They act all surprised. Lol
They keep saying I have plenty of warranty left which I understand but come on new cars shouldn't do this and it didnt in the beginning. Meh either have to live with it or get another car which im not because I love it too much.
Alicia

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
They keep saying I have plenty of warranty left which I understand but come on new cars shouldn't do this and it didnt in the beginning.
Meh either have to live with it or get another car which im not because I love it too much.
Alicia
I love their excuse...you have plenty of time on your warranty - "while we learn how to do the job right...and keep billing the manufacturer for each visit"

·
Registered
22 Posts
I love their excuse...you have plenty of time on your warranty - "while we learn how to do the job right...and keep billing the manufacturer for each visit"
Yea idk how many times ive heard that!!! I texted the guy that fixed it and supposedly Chrysler has a software update for the miles to end moving constantly and I asked him if it would fix the fuel gauge moving all over the place but he doesnt know. So no telling how long I have to wait for this.
Alicia
As long as its still driveable I still love the car

1 - 20 of 24 Posts