Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2011 392 SRT, 2010 R/T Classic, 2019 R/T Plus, 2016 SXT Plus
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is an average of 25mph normal?

What is the best people get with the 3.6L?

This is using the computer. I'll get a real reading the next time I fuel up and find out the actual gallons used.

Anyone doing mods that increase gas mileage?

My 392 only has 2 settings - idle and WOT.

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
6,513 Posts

This is using the computer. I'll get a real reading the next time I fuel up and find out the actual gallons used.

Not normal for highway driving

I used to get 30-31 mpg in my 2011

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,777 Posts
I get 18-20 around town, short trips. In the rare instance I do a long freeway trip and don't encounter much stop and go traffic, I have gotten 28. Ran a trip to my Moms and back on Thursday with several stop and go times, and got 26

A Guy

·
Registered
2,419 Posts

Depending upon usage 25mpg average could be normal and good.

You have to be consistent in how you use the on board computer to arrive at gas mileage. I suspect some owners wait until they are on the freeway and moving at speed and then reset the trip computer and later as they pull off the freeway note the fuel mileage and of course it is very good as long as the driver had behaved himself.

My habit is to fill up the tank. Start the engine and write down all the info - takes less than a minute -- then reset trip odometer and MPG readings. This captures the fuel usage from the time I pull out of the gas station to the next time I am ready to pull out of the gas station.

(It might be even "better to write down all the trip info before I fill up before I shut off the engine prior to filling up but I want to get get gas in the tank pronto. If the station is busy I want to fill up as quickly as I can then I'll pull out of the way and let someone else pull in.

The best mod you can do for gas mileage is change your style of driving.

First be sure the tires are properly inflated. Be sure the car -- the trunk -- is free of junk. I have seen owners hauling old batteries or flat tires in the trunk of their cars.

Then avoid heavy throttle use. It is believed and my experience tends to agree with this there is some benefit rather than to accelerate real slow which draws out the acceleration process to -- within reason -- accelerate "briskly" up to speed then left off and cruise at a steady speed. This gets the engine operating in its most efficient mode sooner. By comparison the slow acceleration means the engine is in acceleration mode maybe from stop to stop.

You can observe using the real time MPG display -- provided the car has one -- how good gas mileage gets as soon as the engine gets into its most efficient mode.

On long trips I have found just one hard acceleration run or heavy foot during a pass can really hammer the gas mileage. I can spend the next several hours and hundreds of miles trying to drive in such a way to undo the damage I did when I hard accelerated onto the freeway after filling up the gas tank.

Also, watch your speed. You'll be amazed at the drop in fuel consumption if you slow from 75mph to 65mph. You don't want to drive to the point you become a road boulder and impede traffic, even if the traffic wants to go over the limit, but you can pick a lower speed to drive and save gas.

·
Premium Member
2,383 Posts
Is that 25 MPG all highway driving, or combined with city driving? I can get 32 MPG on the highway if I set the cruise control on a 4 hour trip.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Combined average. 40% city.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok thanks.

I bought this car used a week ago with 52K miles. Wanted to make sure it is running correctly. Air filter is good, fresh full synth oil.

·
Registered
4 Posts
  • My 3.6L sxt does good too get 18.5 mpg highway, 21.5 interstate!! I only use 93 octane fuel! I am due a tune up, but even freshly tuned. Still only 24 at best! Only mods are performance chip, and cold air intake!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sounds like I can practically match this mpg with my R/T manual trans, especially with non-city driving (which I do).

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
City driving flushes MPG down the toilet. My 19 RWD GT (with 3.90's) will get 31-32 on the freeway and after driving for 2 hours at that rate, I'll spend 10 minutes driving in town and my average will drop by 3-5 mpg. I really don't think the computer average works correctly. How can I go 150+ miles at 31+, stop at a few lights, drive a couple of miles and be at 25? That doesn't average.

·
Premium Member
2,383 Posts
  • My 3.6L sxt does good too get 18.5 mpg highway, 21.5 interstate!! I only use 93 octane fuel! I am due a tune up, but even freshly tuned. Still only 24 at best! Only mods are performance chip, and cold air intake!!
Those numbers don't seem right. Are you driving this car normally, or are you driving it like a mad man that wants to race everybody?

I'm joking there, but how you drive does matter. Have you spent a couple of hours on the Interstate and still see these low numbers?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,777 Posts
93 is a waste unless you are running a 93 octane tune. Car is designed to run 87. 89 might get a slight ounce of power, but 93 is overkill IMHO

A Guy

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Those numbers don't seem right. Are you driving this car normally, or are you driving it like a mad man that wants to race everybody?

I'm joking there, but how you drive does matter. Have you spent a couple of hours on the Interstate and still see these low numbers?
That's using cruise control and not driving nuts, just sedate. When the car had the 3.07's it would easily get 34 on the freeway cruising. Just sit at a light or park for 5 minutes after running a few hundred miles at cruise and you'll see what I mean. The avg mpg drops by a 1/10th every 15 seconds or so and just keeps falling. At least it does ion my car.

EDIT: Sorry, I thought you had quoted me, not another member.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Also, as for mileage, I have noticed that I get about 10% BETTER mileage with Shell or 76 than I do with Arco. With the Arco gas being cheaper it works out about the same, but still.............

·
Registered
41 Posts
With very few exceptions, all gas stations share their gas from the same distribution center in their area. That means the same E10 or 100% gas comes from the same pool. What is different is the additive packages inserted at the distributions center. 93 octane doesn't really help you on the 3.6L with the factory tune. Use 100% real gas @ 87 octane with TopTier additives, and higher altitude may see a slightly different mix/octane rating depending on time of year. E10 will utilize more fuel per mile due to the fact that ethanol requires more fuel to maintain the same Lambda. Happy motoring!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sounds like I can practically match this mpg with my R/T manual trans, especially with non-city driving (which I do).
I get 30-31 mpg on the highway. 32 or more if I don't speed.

My wife drives the '19 R/T Plus, and gets about 25mpg mostly highway.

·
Registered
21 Posts

My first challenger was an SXT with the 3.6L and averaged about 28 mpg in warm weather but less in winter. My wife and I took a trip from Minnesota out to Washington state, Oregon, northern Cal. and those states in between. On that journey we averaged over 30 mpg. but had a tail wind going out and also on the way back. I do have to admit that most of our mileage is on the two lanes at 60 mph. If most of your mileage is in town than 25 mpg doesn't seem bad. My R/T averages 23 mpg, and my Scat Pack averages 21 mpg but once again most of my mileage is at 60 mph.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just to update this, still getting about 24.5mpg in town going to work and back. I have the 3.07 rear end.

On the trip from Cinci to Gatlinburg I got up to 27mpg in the 2019 R/T when freeway flying in 4 cylinder mode.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts