Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening everybody,

After failing to solve my gas pump issue on my own, I have decided I'm going to take it into a shop for a diagnosis..

Would yall recommend an independent shop or Dodge dealership for the diagnosis? I'm in the Seattle, WA area if that helps!

A little back story on gas pump issue..

Whenever I pump gas it stops every 4 gallons, even though tank is not full. If I turn the nozzle upside down while pumping, I can usually get it to stop every 7 gallons, or sometimes not at all.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Happens to me sometimes at Costco, i tried putting more pressure in before releasing the handle when i'm pumping seems to have worked for me

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
6,878 Posts
Have you checked to make sure the car isn’t subject to a recall for that behavior? Dodge had some issues with their gas tanks and EVAP systems in these cars, and they issued recalls and lifetime warranties for some problem models. Check your VIN for any outstanding recalls, there might be a free fix in it for you.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,359 Posts

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Evening everybody,

After failing to solve my gas pump issue on my own, I have decided I'm going to take it into a shop for a diagnosis..

Would yall recommend an independent shop or Dodge dealership for the diagnosis? I'm in the Seattle, WA area if that helps!

A little back story on gas pump issue..

Whenever I pump gas it stops every 4 gallons, even though tank is not full. If I turn the nozzle upside down while pumping, I can usually get it to stop every 7 gallons, or sometimes not at all.
My preference would be a dealer service department. My thinking is this can't be the first time a car with this behavior/problem has been in the shop and thus the tech already knows the routine.

But do some research online first. As Nuke offered check if there are any recalls for your car for this behavior.

Try to find other owners who have posted on this problem and what was the outcome.

What you want is some idea of what others who have gone through this have encountered and how they successfully managed to get the problem addressed.

There is certainly a problem, as if you really have any doubts. I had a couple of previous cars that would manifest the premature fuel nozzle shut off -- not often but often enough -- but I found turning the nozzle nearly 180 degrees around put a stop to that. Almost.

Oh, I never relied upon the locking handle to keep the nozzle flowing gasoline but rather I held the nozzle fuel control lever open by hand. Occasionally -- and really not that often -- even upside down the nozzle would shut off prematurely. If I suspected this I would turn on the key and check the fuel level. If it was not at the full hash mark I would go back and restart the fueling process. Generally I'd get a couple of extra gallons of fuel into the tank. When I stop to gas up one of my vehicles I want to fill the tank to the full level. However, I avoided filling the tank to the filler tube "brim". That is not a good thing to do.

So in the case of your car that the upside down nozzle "trick" doesn't work all that well strongly suggests there is a problem.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you checked to make sure the car isn’t subject to a recall for that behavior? Dodge had some issues with their gas tanks and EVAP systems in these cars, and they issued recalls and lifetime warranties for some problem models. Check your VIN for any outstanding recalls, there might be a free fix in it for you.

I brought it into my local Dodge Dealership a few months ago and they checked my vin for recalls. Only had recalls for my airbags and fire extinguisher.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup there is a recall for evap (UB4 - 2013-2016 MY L-CAR VAPOR CAN)

You can check for other recalls here

Thanks Tatum,

I'm not sure if this applies to the 2009 Chally's, but I'll show it to my service tech anyway!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts