Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just drove my 2010 Challenger SE from Az to Mn. A week after I smelled gas in the car. It has been diagnosed that the fuel line and gas tank are leaking. It was quoted at 3400.00 to complete the repairs. Does that sou d about right or way overstated? Also when the fuel line and gas tank get replaced do you have to replace the two fuel pumps at that time as well.
Thank you.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I just drove my 2010 Challenger SE from Az to Mn. A week after I smelled gas in the car. It has been diagnosed that the fuel line and gas tank are leaking. It was quoted at 3400.00 to complete the repairs. Does that sou d about right or way overstated? Also when the fuel line and gas tank get replaced do you have to replace the two fuel pumps at that time as well.
Thank you.

Did they provide you with a break down of the costs (all parts and labor)?

I would take it to another shop and see what they tell you.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,270 Posts
To me that estimate is on the high side. Looking at the procedure to drop the tank I can't imaging labor would be more than ~$1k. That's about the labor cost for installing headers and IMO headers are more of a PITA. The tank itself if ~$1300 and if the pumps and sending units are fine there is no need to replace. In fact, once the tank is out swapping the pump/hats in the new tank should be a breeze. I would expect the price to be more like $2500.

Although I do all my own repairs so I am out of touch with repair costs these days. In fact, I had a coworker recently take his BMW in to replace a bad power steering hose and all said and done he was charged $800 ($300 for the hose and $500 for labor) which I though was crazy.

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
2,953 Posts
Thank you.
That's insane! The wrench to open the fuel hat costs about $40.00, and will fit on a 3/8" drive ratchet if the leak is inside the tank. I'd get underneath the car and check all of the fuel lines for leaks, then pull up the rear seat and check for leaks on the top of the tank. BTW, a real price to drop the tank would be about $550.00 if that's necessary, which I doubt.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,270 Posts
Are they sure it is not an evap issue? There was a member here stating fuel was leaking out of the evap canister shortly after racing on a course...or something along those lines.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I never smelled any gas on that long trip I mentioned. For some reason when the seat was removed the covers were loose over the fuel pumps. There was fuel around the gasket. A mobile mechanic wouldn't even work on it. So, went to dealership and getting multiple shop quotes. Back to the evap possibility what was the situation with the car you described? Thx

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,270 Posts
I never smelled any gas on that long trip I mentioned. For some reason when the seat was removed the covers were loose over the fuel pumps. There was fuel around the gasket. A mobile mechanic wouldn't even work on it. So, went to dealership and getting multiple shop quotes. Back to the evap possibility what was the situation with the car you described? Thx
It was this thread but doesn't look like there was a follow up.
https://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f188/gas-leakage-after-track-day-672231/?672231=#post8489459

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,294 Posts
like Luke stated, probably soft lines or a seal. no way a $3500 job.
Sorry, but I also turn my own wrenches if/whenever possible. fuel leaking shouldnt be too terribly hard to determine for yourself Op. This may save you a lot of cookie crumbs or at least help you point a mechanic to the culprit for a less spendy repair. Stuff pops apart on these cars pretty easily. just sayn.
BTW - buy & carry a suitable fire extinguisher in the car, until its repaired. please.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts