Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that live in the snow belt, let's hear your best method for treating your gas to keep it fresh, while your beast is in hibernation.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,866 Posts
Fortunately the tanks are plastic so moisture isn't as much of a corrosion problem as it use to be. I just run the tank close to empty and put 93 octane from Shell/Mobil. I generally don't run the ethanol blend of stabil or fuel additives in the tank. I also start the car at least once a month...mostly to fill the void in my soul.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fortunately the tanks are plastic so moisture isn't as much of a corrosion problem as it use to be. I just run the tank close to empty and put 93 octane from Shell/Mobil. I generally don't run the ethanol blend of stabil or fuel additives in the tank. I also start the car at least once a month...mostly to fill the void in my soul.
Love the comment "fill the void in my soul", haha. I have been using Startron with good results.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,866 Posts
Love the comment "fill the void in my soul", haha. I have been using Startron with good results.
Yup I use startron on all my toys/generators that run carbs. I have not run it in the challenger simply because I don't think it is needed for short term storage in dry winter weather. I did not add it last year and I had no issues.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup I use startron on all my toys/generators that run carbs. I have not run it in the challenger simply because I don't think it is needed for short term storage in dry winter weather. I did not add it last year and I had no issues.
Hat tip to you Chally.....You have a method that works for you. I have a fleet of Mopars, both collector and daily driven stuff......Startron goes in all of 'em. No issues.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I use seafoam in all my stuff. Like they said,fill tank full,drop some seafoam,or startron and good to go. Now on my mowers,I run them dry for the winter. Go figure.

·
Registered
130 Posts
startron is the best for storing gas hands down.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I use Stabil fuel stabilizer in a full tank of fresh gas, primarily for the ethanol in the gas as compared to condensation. I don't run it at all through the winter since you'd have to run it quite a while to get your oil temp up to operating temp (~200F). I slightly overinflate the tires, run a battery tender and throw a car cover on, even though it sits in my garage all winter (from around Thanksgiving through April - depending on when they're done salting the roads and we've have some rains to wash away all that white crap.) Then when I first bring the car out, I make sure to run it on the roads for a while just to get everything nice and hot and lubed.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I use Stabil fuel stabilizer in a full tank of fresh gas, primarily for the ethanol in the gas as compared to condensation. I don't run it at all through the winter since you'd have to run it quite a while to get your oil temp up to operating temp (~200F). I slightly overinflate the tires, run a battery tender and throw a car cover on, even though it sits in my garage all winter (from around Thanksgiving through April - depending on when they're done salting the roads and we've have some rains to wash away all that white crap.) Then when I first bring the car out, I make sure to run it on the roads for a while just to get everything nice and hot and lubed.
That's a good one BamBam. The only change I Would make is sub Startron for Stabil. I used Stabil many years until I discovered Startron does what you need(ethanol) and so much more.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've also spread peppermint oil and cayenne pepper around the floor where I'm parking it.
Already had critters chew through the A/C wire and a friend had to replace her entire main wiring harness. (Not covered under warranty.)
Damn soy based wire insulation is going to be a class action suit eventually.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I don't store my Challenger for the Detroit winters. Right around now I just wash and wax it and back it into the garage. I drive it all winter long, just not in anything messy. It does not see any snow, rain or salt. Sure, it might be four or five weeks of no action if it gets really bad, ( typically most of January ) but eventually it is sunny and the roads are clear and dry. All the salt is off the road. I start her up and take a long drive. It loves the cold!

No car cover, dry gas, battery worries, mice, tire issues. Just a little waiting during the really bad part of the winter. I might drive somewhere an hour away and get a god run in and then put her back in the garage.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Use that green Sta-bil gas preservative in the tank. Gas has nasty alky mixed in and that's your issue. Just start and run it for 30 minutes every three weeks keeps everything circulating and ready for spring.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts