Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a truck to drive in foul weather so I can keep mt Challenger looking good as long as possible.

Last Saturday while driving my truck, the ABS MIL lamp cam on, speedo went to 0 and trans stopped shifting from 1st. \

Some online research indicated a Vehicle Speed Sensor, or computer issue.
Replaced VSS in transfer case and NO change.....traced wires to computer looking for a break in circuit. When I got to the computer I began unplugging cables.

There are 4, 2" wide plugs. Labeled Black, Blue, Red, and White. The cable the VSS went to smelled like gasoline, was wet and the accordion boot was swelled. I remove the adjacent red labeled connector and fuel poured out. WTF?
I put in a new fuel pump a few months ago and thought there was a connector close to the tank that would break the possible path if pressurized fuel was traveling up the pump wiring BUT in the event it is a straight shot, shouldn't the fuel pump wiring go to the RELAY/FUSE box next to the computer?

Where is this fuel coming from? Gotta remedy before buying a new computer. Any help appreciated.
Truck is a 1997 GMC Sierra K1500 4X4 5.7 Vortec Auto.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
OK, looked at the pump I installed, there's no way there is pressure on the wiring.
There are no fuel pressure sensors that can be at fault. This is crazy!

VIDEO

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I decided to buy a computer from a salvage yard.
Before installing, I will butt splice all the wires going to the red connector to stop the flow of fuel from reaching the computer.
I should then be able to see which conductor is the conduit for the fuel.

·
Premium Member
3,001 Posts
Wow - I am interested in what you find since I have 1998 Chev K1500 truck that is no doubt made just like yours.:scratchhead:

·
Registered
977 Posts
Be aware that not just any ECM from a truck like yours will work. You vin # is embedded in the operating system of the code. Yes, there is small operating system in the ECM and the rest of it is a series of tables basiclly.

Take you vin # and go to the following GM site GM CVN Codes and look up your calibration codes.

Lastly, you will need a GM license to download and of the CVN updates... IE - Access to a Tech 2. There is a place in Fl that will sell you an fully updated computer for about $200, with warranty. Their site does not show GM so you may have to call. Solo Electronics In worst case, get the part number off the ECM and your vin number I will see if my tuner can help as I do updates to the 8.1L Chevy used in RV's.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. After a visit to the junk yard it seems I will still need programming in order to be able to get a state inspection.
Learned a local auto parts store can order one Plug and play by providing info and VIN.
I will go that route even though it will be a week or so.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts