Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Challenger RT Plus
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The problem with using these cars as your daily driver or commuter is that something like this is bound to happen (especially when you drive LA freeways every day) and when it does, it hurts so much more cause the car is so beautiful.
Some jackass swerved into my lane in front of me, and when he did he ran over a gator that was in between lanes. Kicked it up and it went straight at my passenger side. Had zero time to react. It sounded like I might have just run over it, but when I checked it, sucker got me good. Dammit. Anyone know the part number for the fog light?.

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,202 Posts
Over the last week, I’ve been to Byhalia, MS from KY as well as Ocala, FL from KY just this past Sunday.

Gators galore......and lots of people in the break-down lane, broken down with.....you guessed it.....flat tires.

Underinflation, overloading, speeds in excess of the tires ability, excessive age, and high ambient temperatures really takes a toll on rubbers. :giggle:

Reactions: Stitches1974

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Over the last week, I’ve been to Byhalia, MS from KY as well as Ocala, FL from KY just this past Sunday.

Gators galore......and lots of people in the break-down lane, broken down with.....you guessed it.....flat tires.

Underinflation, overloading, speeds in excess of the tires ability, excessive age, and high ambient temperatures really takes a toll on rubbers. :giggle:
But the minute you bring up old tires and them being unsafe, people tell you to MYOB and get really pissy at you. They don't like it when you tell them that you're putting other people's lives at risk, because they're being cheap.

Picture of guy's tire, on another forum, that decided to go on him.

March 2009 production date.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,912 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,426 Posts
Waze saved me in viginia as the warning was object in road ahead so I dropped back from the vehicle in front as I didn’t know which lane it was in. It’s too bad it happened but you didn’t lose control and crash when startled, it could be worse.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,912 Posts
Dino...

A Guy

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Gators in the rd around here mean exactly what it sounds like. Especially during mating season.
I lived in Tampa area 1978 - 1981. I don't recall the exact time; but, while I was there we had horrendous rains. A gator was seeking higher ground and ended up on the I-75 southbound exit ramp to I-4 westbound. Yep, my original reaction was a real gator until I realized the OP was in LA. 🤣

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Could have been worse. West of Strong City KS on 50 highway late one night dozed off in the car and the car drifted a bit to the left and hit a tire carcass in the middle. Went under the left corner of the car. Busted the driver's side radiator, the hose fitting at the bottom. Coolant leaking -- gushing more like it -- and had to pull over and stop.

Had no cell phone but a big rig driver stopped and let me use his phone to call for a wrecker. Got a nearly 80 mile tow to Wichita and got a hotel room for the night.

Got the car in to the dealer the next moring and damage was assessed and parts ordered. Spent a 2nd night in the hotel. Parts came in and car fixed. Repair ran around $1600 with $125 tow and two nights in a hotel for around $100/night.

On my drives I've seen big rigs on the side of the road after having encountering a tire carcass. (Detroit Alligator.)

·
Registered
2020 HellRaisin 1320
217 Posts
On my drives I've seen big rigs on the side of the road after having encountering a tire carcass. (Detroit Alligator.)
Is that what a gator is????? Pieces of old tire tread?? I was reading through this thread thinking WTF is a gator the whole time and surprised no one else asked. Never heard them called that before, and I'm from Detroit too.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Is that what a gator is????? Pieces of old tire tread?? I was reading through this thread thinking WTF is a gator the whole time and surprised no one else asked. Never heard them called that before, and I'm from Detroit too.
"Detroit Alligator" or "Detroit 'Gator" is how I have heard big rig drivers refer to tire carcasses.

·
Registered
14,402 Posts
Yes because the tire pieces sort of look like a gator's back when they are in the water.

Guess it started out as a southern thing, lots of real gator's around here.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Challenger RT Plus
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lol sorry for the confusion. I’ve been riding MC’s since I was a kid and riders have always called them gators. As you can imagine, they’re especially dangerous on a MC.
haven’t had a chance to do a closer inspection yet and see if the fog light is still in there. It might just be dangling.

·
Registered
2020 HellRaisin 1320
217 Posts
I've seen some major damage from these before. FYI, in cases of a lot of damage, you can file an insurance claim on it, but, there's two different scenarios for this.

If you just run over these, that's considered a Collision and will usually be considered at-fault.

But, in cases like yours, if the object was kicked up by another vehicle, flew through the air and then hit your car, that's considered a "falling object" and falls under Comprehensive coverage.

May not apply in all states since different states have different laws, plus some companies can be jerks about it. I worked for one of the biggest ones and dealt with these all the time. It was simple, owner says they didn't see it on the road until it was too late and hit it, its a Collision. Owner says it was kicked up by another vehicle and flew through the air, its Comprehensive. Big difference between those 2 types of claims.

·
Super Moderator
15,581 Posts
its really bad around Charlotte NC - we have two interstates 85 and 77 that run through Charlotte and 485 that loops around the city. We get a lot of traffic passing though to SC / GA / FL to the south and OH / VA traffic from the north

as well as a lot of Amazon distribution centers around the area as well. You can frequently see all the lanes full of semi's all during the day and a lot at night

weather warms up and the "road gators" - semi truck tires are all over. I can't tell you the number of times you're alongside a semi and you can hear a tire that has damage. Saw one that was probably moments from flying apart - it wasn't even round anymore (drive wheel)...and the driver just kept on hammering down lane #1 and #2 like there was nothing wrong.

And you could see the tire was throwing vibration through the chassis of the truck!

The worst instances seem to be on I-77 and I-485

in NC there's no speed limits on trucks so the 70 mph limit is more like 80 - 85. Add in tires that are in poor condition, have punctures (outer plies delam from casing) and high ambient heat and there's all sorts of them on the roads.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger RT Plus
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've seen some major damage from these before. FYI, in cases of a lot of damage, you can file an insurance claim on it, but, there's two different scenarios for this.

If you just run over these, that's considered a Collision and will usually be considered at-fault.

But, in cases like yours, if the object was kicked up by another vehicle, flew through the air and then hit your car, that's considered a "falling object" and falls under Comprehensive coverage.

May not apply in all states since different states have different laws, plus some companies can be jerks about it. I worked for one of the biggest ones and dealt with these all the time. It was simple, owner says they didn't see it on the road until it was too late and hit it, its a Collision. Owner says it was kicked up by another vehicle and flew through the air, its Comprehensive. Big difference between those 2 types of claims.
Either way I’d still have to pay the deductible. Plus my insurance company is really particular, they have great rates and will insure you as long as you have no tickets and no collisions, but as soon as you get one of those, they either drop you or kick up your rates really high.
Fortunately with the scratches being so low and not where you see them a lot, it doesn’t bother me too much. Just gonna have to fix the fog light.

·
Registered
2020 HellRaisin 1320
217 Posts
Either way I’d still have to pay the deductible. Plus my insurance company is really particular, they have great rates and will insure you as long as you have no tickets and no collisions, but as soon as you get one of those, they either drop you or kick up your rates really high.
Fortunately with the scratches being so low and not where you see them a lot, it doesn’t bother me too much. Just gonna have to fix the fog light.
Yeah, in your case I wouldn't risk the filing either. I usually keep a lower comprehensive deductible myself, but that's mostly because hail is so common where I'm at the odds of having to use it are greater.

·
Registered
638 Posts
You run them over around here and they do more damage then a fog light.
Hell i thought OP was talking real gator til i read more. Thought, ahh thats not bad for gator collision. Lol. Ive seen them total cars and gator walks away.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts