Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to install an Auto Meter vacuum gauge and oil pressure gauge in my 2010 Challenger R/T. I bought a two hole pillar mount, but the shop would not install it because there is an air bag located there. Does anyone have any other options for safely located the gauges? Pics would be appreciated.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Mine are mounted there on my 06 charger and my 13 challenger regardless.
You can mount both in the sunglasses holder location though. Some pics:
IMG_6981.jpg
IMG_5391.jpg
IMG_5393.jpg
IMG_5392.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
We have overhead pods that go in the sunglass holder and also a pillars available:

- Alexis

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
OP, your shop did the right thing. You do NOT want an a-pillar pod mount. I understand that they are popular in some crowds. :whistle:
#1: in an accident, the gauges will become projectiles, propelled at great speed by the deploying airbag behind them. All this aimed right at your face/head area.
They can also impair & in some cases completely defeat proper airbag inflation, which leads to
#2. : it is illegal to alter or put in place - any device in leu of any part of the active safety retraint system. this includes the airbag containment panels which are designed to split/tear/break away in a certain manner.

The shop that installed this, if they had done so, could be held civilly & criminaly liable.
The place that sold & made them could be held liable.
You could be held liable if someone was injuried in your car because of that installation or they somehow impaired your abilty to control, see properly and or otherwise found to be a factor before, during or after the accident, to say nothing of the fact that the air bag may not work as designed when you need it to, and save your life or limb.
BTW, didnt just pull this out of thin air, I have direct family in the legal field of the insurance industry, you can look this all up under your own state DOT codes, in many cases, it can be a felony.

·
Registered
745 Posts
OP, your shop did the right thing. You do NOT want an a-pillar pod mount. I understand that they are popular in some crowds. :whistle:
#1: in an accident, the gauges will become projectiles, propelled at great speed by the deploying airbag behind them. All this aimed right at your face/head area.
They can also impair & in some cases completely defeat proper airbag inflation, which leads to
#2. : it is illegal to alter or put in place - any device in leu of any part of the active safety retraint system. this includes the airbag containment panels which are designed to split/tear/break away in a certain manner.

The shop that installed this, if they had done so, could be held civilly & criminaly liable.
The place that sold & made them could be held liable.
You could be held liable if someone was injuried in your car because of that installation or they somehow impaired your abilty to control, see properly and or otherwise found to be a factor before, during or after the accident, to say nothing of the fact that the air bag may not work as designed when you need it to, and save your life or limb.
BTW, didnt just pull this out of thin air, I have direct family in the legal field of the insurance industry, you can look this all up under your own state DOT codes, in many cases, it can be a felony.
eyeroll intensifies

Many aftermarket parts put the driver and others in the vehicle in harms way. It’s a lifestyle.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
eyeroll intensifies

Many aftermarket parts put the driver and others in the vehicle in harms way. It’s a lifestyle.

...and that somehow negates ones legal liability??

guess you have alot to learn about "when things go wrong in life", and todays litigious & criminalized society.

49 U.S.C. 30122 Prohibits any Manufacturer, distributor, dealers(1) and motor vehicle repair businesses(2) from knowingly making inoperative any part of a device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle in compliance with an applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard. The statute, however, allows the agency to prescribe regulations to exempt a person from the "make inoperative" provision if such an exemption is consistent with safety concerns.

1. Section 30102 defines "dealer" as "a person selling and distributing new motor vehicles or motor vehicle equipment primarily to purchasers that in good faith purchase the vehicles or equipment other than for resale."

2. Section 30122(a) defines "motor vehicle repair business" as "a person holding itself out to the public to repair for compensation a motor vehicle or motor vehicle equipment." NHTSA has interpreted this term to include businesses that service vehicles with which there is nothing wrong by adding features or components to or otherwise customizing those vehicles.

eyeroll intensely intensifies

·
Registered
745 Posts
...and that somehow negates ones legal liability??

guess you have alot to learn about "when things go wrong in life", and todays litigious & criminalized society.

49 U.S.C. 30122 Prohibits any Manufacturer, distributor, dealers(1) and motor vehicle repair businesses(2) from knowingly making inoperative any part of a device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle in compliance with an applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard. The statute, however, allows the agency to prescribe regulations to exempt a person from the "make inoperative" provision if such an exemption is consistent with safety concerns.

1. Section 30102 defines "dealer" as "a person selling and distributing new motor vehicles or motor vehicle equipment primarily to purchasers that in good faith purchase the vehicles or equipment other than for resale."

2. Section 30122(a) defines "motor vehicle repair business" as "a person holding itself out to the public to repair for compensation a motor vehicle or motor vehicle equipment." NHTSA has interpreted this term to include businesses that service vehicles with which there is nothing wrong by adding features or components to or otherwise customizing those vehicles.

eyeroll intensely intensifies
My point still stands.
The aftermarket provides what people want.
People mod their vehicles, the vast majority of the time to illegal and unsafe standards (cat deletes, roll cages in a street car, etc.). Most of the time misrepresenting what they drive to insurance companies as well.
It is what is. Thanks for providing the legal backing to what you said but people are still going to do it and no personal or manufacturer liability is going to stop that. It’s a culture.

We all read that little warning on the aftermarket parts that say “for off road use only” and we all still ignore it. Lol.

·
Registered
Boosted 2014 R/T Shaker M6
2,169 Posts

And for the airbag gendarme, there is no airbag in my A pillar...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts