Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to know what were some good 2012 challenger Rt classic gears
I street race a lot and track and i wanted to know what are some good
Gears ?

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
manual or auto? Autos have 3.06s and manuals have 3.92s.
If auto, 3.73 seems to be a good choice. I personally am looking for a 3.23 pumpkin for my 392 so I can stay in 3rd in the traps at 6650 RPM.

·
Vendor
12,555 Posts
i stand corrected was able to find one in our inventory 2014, 3.73 with 226mm axle, however retails for 2335.00 sell for 1590.00, considering we can sell the 3.92 for 1/2 that price
Luke

·
Registered
940 Posts
The 3.91 worked out great for me but I wasn't on the interstate everyday for hundreds of miles each day. 3050 RPM's at 80 MPH and the most I drove was 2400 in one week.

·
Vendor
12,555 Posts
at one time, higher gear ratio were thought to be the big ticket for going very fast down the 1/4 mile, i remember running 5.13 gears in my ChevyII

now the outlaw street etc are running mid to lower 3's with large turbo setups

the twin turbo dart im building will probably have a low 3.20 to 3.30 gear ratio....

for our big cars to gain instant drag performance going to a 3.92 gear can substantially improve performance, but the down side is if the vehicle is a daily driver, the rpm increase for a daily driver may be more harmful then good

Luke

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I have a 2010 RT A5 with 3.92's and I fkn love it .... but I only do about 30-40 miles a weekend ... if that

·
Registered
550 Posts
The 3.92 gear dropped 3tenths off of my trap....I also run 26" drs at the track which boost the effective gear ratio to a 4.3x...I'm hitting the traps at the top of fourth....hitting 5th about 20feet past traps. This car is also my daily driver but like many with this gear I drive less than a mile to work etc. but the fun factor is thru the roof!!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
636 Posts
I have a 3.92 and often wonder if a 3.73 would have been a better fit. 1st gear must be completely babied because you will spin something fierce, second is no better, and 3rd gear you finally can get on it. Also you are constantly shifting and will finish a 1/4 in 4th gear.... unless I was going 130mph I would much rather stay in 3rd and save .2 on a shift.

I should be said I have not experimented with a larger diameter wheel/tire setup. This may make a 3.92 perfect. As it stands stock though it feels like it's overkill.

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
Ghost & Jknoff

Did you guys do the pummkin swap yourselves or have a shop do it? I'm ready to pull the trigger but would like to do it myself if it is not too big of a PITA.
Thanks...

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I had a shop do it (AMP) ... also you will need new axels and a few smaller items for the full swap .... total was rite at 2K installed incl. labor and tune the TCM

·
Registered
550 Posts
I pieced mine a bit at a time and was able to complete the swap for a little over 1200. That included axels pumpkin diff bolt upper and lower pinion mount....KJ u have an SRT already so pumpkin is all that's needed for you!

Reactions: ghostrt and KJ392

·
Registered
15,047 Posts
Just wondering here.,I have a 2012 SRT8 Challenger with the 6 speed manual and according to the build sheet it has 3:92 gears ..and at 65 mph she's turning at about 1550 on the tack., is that what you guys are at??
That's where we are at with a 6-speed because of the .50 overdrive, the automatic overdrive is .83 I think so they tach a lot more on highway.

Reactions: ghostrt
1 - 20 of 42 Posts