Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Challenger r/t classic. I purchased the car in may. its a 6 speed manual. gradually I have been having problems with the tranny. it has become difficult at times to shift. the hardest things to do is go from 1st to 2nd. its not just 1st that sticks, its every gear. sometimes I can feel the gears grind. has anyone had problems with the manual transmissions?

·
Super Moderator
15,357 Posts
It sounds like the clutch isn't releasing fully - that will create high shift effort/ gear clash.

Either:
-clutch isn't bled properly (self-bleeding clutch, takes ~150+ strokes to bleed)
-issue with clutch master cylinder
-issue with clutch slave / throwout bearing

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is that a easy fix? I was also told it could be the mesh. I tool the car to the dealer today. it was to the point I was getting very concerned. it was very very difficult to shift.

·
Super Moderator
15,357 Posts
There have been issues with synchros or internal rails - Gnslngr had a problem with his '11 6M / SRT8 and they tore down the transmission and found the issue.

If yours is getting difficult in all gears, a dragging clutch will cause symptoms like that...it unusual to have all synchros have trouble on a new unit, but it could happen.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took it to the dealership. the tech drove the car twice I was told and he found or felt no issues. no sticking of the gear shifter and he didnt feel the gears grind at all either. this is getting more frustrating. like I said it doesn't happen all the time but it happens a lot. they told me to come and take the tech for a ride.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Besides my beloved Challenger, I also own America's most popular rice-burner roadster and it has the same problem you describe - when the car is cold it can have a lot of trouble shifting from 1st to 2nd - sticks and grinds. Once the transmission warms up, it shifts fabulously. But I could see it being due to either the gearbox fluid being too thin or too thick (if too thin, I could see it all dripping down into the bottom of the gearbox between drives, and if too thick then maybe it takes time to lube up the gears). Any input would be appreciated - too thick? too thin? Fluid level too low? None of the above?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts