Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I am a highschooler studying entrepreneurship and am in process of creating a mobile app for car enthusiasts called 'Gearhead'. The app would revolve around a free lance car mechanic service where you can offer free lance car work or hire a free lance car mechanic. There would also be a car meet up and race part of the app where you guys can meet new car enthusiast and have fun at the track. I was wondering if this would be something you guys would be interested in, and if you'd actually use it.

Mo Power!

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,709 Posts
Hey guys,

I am a highschooler studying entrepreneurship and am in process of creating a mobile app for car enthusiasts called 'Gearhead'. The app would revolve around a free lance car mechanic service where you can offer free lance car work or hire a free lance car mechanic. There would also be a car meet up and race part of the app where you guys can meet new car enthusiast and have fun at the track. I was wondering if this would be something you guys would be interested in, and if you'd actually use it.

Mo Power!
I would look at it, not sure how much use I would get, but I would check it out.

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,417 Posts
Good on you for taking up a challenge like this.
Huge companies have started just this way...Uber, Amazon, GrubHub and others!
I can see a need for something of this nature, perhaps with single working parents, older folks, people on a tight budget, yadda yadda.
I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor.
As a side note suggestion:
Watch out for your liabilities (get in your disclaimers / legalities) You want no part of being dragged into someone else's lawsuit.

Might I also suggest (if you have not done so already) incorporating a rating system, as is in any shade tree type "industry" it is by and large full of scams, bad work/reputations, wanna be failed mechanics &/or people that think they know what they are doing, but dont. If you can write the code for an app, you can easily add in a 0-5 star rating option for suscriber use.
Users, will want to know anyone touching thier car, has the skills and knowledge to do so. ratings from past users would do that easily....which leads us back to my 1st suggestion about liability if/when somebodies car gets messed up, by someone using your app. You've (sadly) got to cover your own @$$ first & foremost.
Best of luck keep us updated.

·
Registered
252 Posts
How would we know we arent hiring Dr. Frankenstein to work on our car? Third party inspection sites have people that are car specific. Interesting idea.

·
Premium Member
4,052 Posts
Hey guys,

Mo Power!
Welcome to the Forum from Alabama. I have always admired entrepreneurs (my Dad is one). I agree, there will need to be a way to display/verify competency for individuals performing services as well as the rating system. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
11,797 Posts
This is a great idea!

I would check it out as I am sure a lot of us would :). There will be a lot of great advice from people on this forum. Good luck to you and I'll keep an eye out for the app!

- Alexis

·
Registered
224 Posts
This would be good since 90% of the people just need wipers, cabin filter, air filter, battery or check engine code read and explained.
Only question is ‘if I change someone’s wipers and they get in an accident while it’s raining can they go after me since I’m not a licensed mechanic’?

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,709 Posts
This would be good since 90% of the people just need wipers, cabin filter, air filter, battery or check engine code read and explained.
Only question is ‘if I change someone’s wipers and they get in an accident while it’s raining can they go after me since I’m not a licensed mechanic’?
My guess is yes, even if they are licensed. That is why I never, ever, take money for helping people. The amount of money I would ever get would not change my way of life, and I am too leery of getting into a situation like that. I was just watching a news report about a guy that ran into a fire truck and they saved his life. Now he is suing them for being on the road (other side, oncoming traffic) causing the wreck.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Scat Pack Pitch Black A8
896 Posts
Welcome from Kentucky. I would probably look at it. I don't do Facebook or anything like that but if I could look at an app that would show me where car shows were going on nearby I would would check it out. Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts