Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to change the shift knob on my automatic trans and want to know if it's possible to cut the shaft down and tap and die the new knob with the shaft. I don't want to start cutting and find out it's hollow, Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks for all your help, If anyone is interested I tapped and die'd the 3/8 in shaft after cutting tapered end off(the shaft was solid, I found that out elsewhere). Now I can add whatever threaded knob. This was my first posted question and even though I've learned alot from reading other posts, I would have thought a new member would have gotten at least a tech response. No way to make new members feel welcome.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
You posted your question at 11:37PM which is kinda late on a Monday night. I saw it but did not know the answer if it hollow or solid piece. Some of the other members who read it probably didn't know what the answer was too. Then during the night it got buried by new posts. If it was posted in the morning it would've been seen by the real gearheads during the day.

You would probably have been given a better response to your question. If you had posted it in the New Member Introduction section forum. Since it was your first post on ChallengerTalk. Welcome to ChallengerTalk. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Sorry, as Blu said didn't see this post. Since u found it's solid, and died it at 3/8" guess you noticed it's NOT quite 3/8" and tapers smaller down the shaft? I did the same to my 09 SE shifter, and in the end I had to drill thru the locking nut and shaft and installed a rolled pin thru the nut and shaft to secure the pistol grip shift knob. The shaft diameter is not quite 3/8" but too large to go smaller, so you end up with bout 3/4 thread depth for first 1/4" or so, but tapers to maybe 1/4 thread depth pretty fast, so it was rolled pin in locknut, red thread lock, nice an tight!:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts