Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an opportunity to pick up some 392 stock shorties. Is it a straight swap? I heard that it matter if its auto or manual, is this true?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
No. The outlets don't match. You'll need to get a muffler shop involved regardless unless you get the entire exhaust system. The 392 system is 2 3/4" and yours (same as mine) is 2 1/2". I've dug into this and decided that JBA shorty headers are far cheaper in the long run since they are direct fit.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No. The outlets don't match. You'll need to get a muffler shop involved regardless unless you get the entire exhaust system. The 392 system is 2 3/4" and yours (same as mine) is 2 1/2". I've dug into this and decided that JBA shorty headers are far cheaper in the long run since they are direct fit.
Awsome, just the answer inneeded

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
the SRT mids are needed - if you're trying to use the rest of a 5.7 system, it requires reducers to mate up the the back half of a 5.7 exhaust system.

The position, diameter and flange clocking of the headpipe to exhaust is different from the 5.7 vs. SRT exhaust.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
I was more concerned with the header fitment of an auto vs a manual
The earlier years ('08 - '14) were similar between A5 / M6 applications.

With the '15+ there were revisions for the A8 applications for clearance. The '15+ SRT shortys also have the collector extended a bit more over the earlier years, along with the differences between A8 vs. M6 applications.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Hold the phone. Is this a 2017+ R/T with the new 2.75 active exhaust? Wondering if this means it's a direct fit since the previous 5.7 exhaust was 2.5 but now it's the same size as the SRT exhaust.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok guys my goal here is to buy some 6.4 shorties and some hellcat cats/mids and fab it up to my exhaust. I found a deal on both. The guy selling the headers claims its a 3” exit out the end of the header and the guy selling the cats also claimes the pipes are 3”. Both are off of automatic challengers.

With mine being a manual, does it pose any clearence issues? Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
Ok guys my goal here is to buy some 6.4 shorties and some hellcat cats/mids and fab it up to my exhaust. I found a deal on both. The guy selling the headers claims its a 3” exit out the end of the header and the guy selling the cats also claimes the pipes are 3”. Both are off of automatic challengers.

With mine being a manual, does it pose any clearence issues? Any ideas?

Thanks
The '15+ shorty clamshells and cats are the same part # for SP / SRT 392 / SRT 'Cat - FYI

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,865 Posts
If you wait around xmas time there are some great deals on LT headers. I bought my stainless works headers and cats for a little over $1200 shipped and they come with both 3" or 2.5" adapters.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hellcat and 6.4 in 2016 both use the same mid pipes......

https://www.stevewhiteparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-catalytic-converter-68281724aa

https://www.stevewhiteparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-catalytic-converter-68281725aa

by the time you spend 2k do buy the parts, better off Kooks long tubes and green catted high flow cats, same price

Luke
Good point but...
I am not buying new parts. My investment at this point is $400 in parts and i just need to install. Nowhere bear 2k
Also, im extremely nervous about scraping long tube headers ?

·
Vendor
12,578 Posts
Good point but...
I am not buying new parts. My investment at this point is $400 in parts and i just need to install. Nowhere bear 2k
Also, im extremely nervous about scraping long tube headers ?
if you can find used ones for a reasonable price its a great upgrade for a 5.7.....
Luke

·
Registered
168 Posts
for 15 at least, 8 speed RT had 2.5" exhaust, 6 speed had 2.75". 6 speed and 8 speed cars had different SRT shorties. If you have a 6 speed, you can get any 6 speed from 2009-present. 8 speed cars can only use 15+ SRT shorties due to the starter location being changed for 8spd cars.

·
Premium Member
1,819 Posts
I did a header swap, JBA Shorties, on my 2013 RT. They are a direct swap, no exhaust modifications needed

Get a set of 5.7 exhaust gaskets and the 6.1 header bolts

You can do the swap in about 6 hours if you have the tools.

Attachments

Reactions: A Guy

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,865 Posts
I did a header swap, JBA Shorties, on my 2013 RT. They are a direct swap, no exhaust modifications needed

Get a set of 5.7 exhaust gaskets and the 6.1 header bolts

You can do the swap in about 6 hours if you have the tools.
Do the shorties have a relief for the stock 5.7 exhaust gaskets? There is a little hump where they bend the shield portion of the gasket. I had to die grind reliefs on my SW LTs.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts