Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello i will be changing the rear end fluid this weekend in my 2009 challenger srt 8 it has 15000 miles on it i bought the fluid from the dealer and purchased the one they recommended . they gave me a bottle of friction modifier and told me to poor the whole bottle of it in the rear end . just wanted to check with you guys that this sounded correct. Using the whole bottle of friction modifier wont cause any issues with the gears. thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
9,658 Posts
Just in case you don't know this, always remove the fill plug before you drain the fluid. If you can't get the fill plug out you're in for a real problem with an empty rear end.

·
Registered
274 Posts
When filling the rear, after you pour in the first quart, put in the modifier, then fill up the rest of the way with the second quart. This way you will be sure to have room for the modifier. My 09 took about 1.75 quarts total.

Reactions: vinny32

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just in case you don't know this, always remove the fill plug before you drain the fluid. If you can't get the fill plug out you're in for a real problem with an empty rear end.
ok im kinda confused here i though the fill plug is used to drain the rear end?................ is there two seperate plugs.............................also my question still is IS THE WHOLE BOTTLE OF FRICTION MODIFIER USED thank you ....................

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Yes use the whole bottle. Without it the limited slip won't function properly when u make turns.

Reactions: vinny32

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
ok im kinda confused here i though the fill plug is used to drain the rear end?................ is there two seperate plugs.............................also my question still is IS THE WHOLE BOTTLE OF FRICTION MODIFIER USED thank you ....................
There are two plugs. Drain plug on the bottom, fill plug on the back. You fill it until it overflows the fill plug.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
The reason you take the fill plug out first is if you can't get it out after you already drained the old fluid, you are SOL. You can also tell if it has been over-filled (usually not likely).

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Thought you were going to use Royal Purple Max Gear? It has the modifier already in it. This is the response I got from RP when I asked.

"We put the friction modifier needed for limited-slip differentials in the Max Gear formulations. You should not need to add any. After the fluid change, take the car to an open area and drive it through some slow, tight figure 8s. This will help work the new fluid into and between the clutches. "
Technical Services
Royal Purple, Inc.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thought you were going to use Royal Purple Max Gear? It has the modifier already in it. This is the response I got from RP when I asked.

"We put the friction modifier needed for limited-slip differentials in the Max Gear formulations. You should not need to add any. After the fluid change, take the car to an open area and drive it through some slow, tight figure 8s. This will help work the new fluid into and between the clutches. "
Technical Services
Royal Purple, Inc.
hi chukarboy i was going to do that but the dealership kinda talked me out of it they said i cant go wrong going with the specs of what they recommended and i guess seeing as it has been working fine with no issues i said what the hell lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts