Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of trading in my 04 Mach on a 392. I was wondering what is the faster model the stick or the manual? What transmissions are they using have they had issues? Is there anything you do not care for with the car?

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
On the auto vs stick, I'm just repeating what I've seen in other threads on this forum, with the SRT engineers saying the transmissions on the 2011 models give essentially the same ET (within hundreths). On the earlier models, the autos were a couple tenths quicker.

I am a big fan of the 5.0 unless you want a manual transmission. Ford cheaped out with a weak 6-speed rated around 375 ft-lb of torque, which is slightly less than the car produces bone stock. The Tremec in the Dodge is rated for around 600 ft-lbs. Until Ford addresses the problems with their 6-speed, I would steer clear of a manual 5.0.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
From what I've heard the 6 speed will take more abuse, and can handle more HP from mods than the auto.

Going from the auto in my Charger R/T (same tranny as the challenger, just w/o the beefed up internals), to the 6 speed in my Challenger I realize how much I disliked the auto slushbox. The Diablosport predator tune helped firm up the shifts on my auto a ton but unfortunately there is no tune for the 2011 392 as of yet...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Well I have owned a mustang GT 2006 (auto) ,2010 camaro(6speed), challenger R/T(auto) , 6.1(6speed) and now a 392(6speed). The 6.1, I didn't have for long and I have driven a few of the new 5.0(6speed) let me tell you that the response and torque of the 392 is better than any of them. The response of the new 5.0 felt almost like the 6.1 did.

The only thing that would maybe sway someone from getting a challenger is the size , compared to the mustang its alot bigger, specially the new ones feel alot smaller inside than my 2006 did and I loved that mustang the most. Bone stock out of all the cars the new 392 will feel faster and have a ton better response than all the rest. Can't say what the auto feels like in with the new engine tho. Maybe someday i will test drive one but the 6speed is more fun to me.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
I have an automatic (by preference) it has fuel saver technology (which I could care less about) the 6 speed does not. I can say the auto stick or in the old days (slap stick) is very responsive and you can choose whichever gear you want. IE; (pun intended) you can easily down/up shift effortlessly. Getting on an on ramp when you're merging, while you down shift get on the gas and soon you'll see everyone in the rear view mirror.:)

The car is big but there's a ton of trunk space and the ride is VERY comfortable. Not much leg room in the back seat though. There's plenty of torque/HP as you'll see mid to low 4 second times consistently 0-60.

The touch screen stereo is nice but has it's shortcomings w/Iphone issues. I've had mine for 2.5 months and have had NO issues at all.

2011 Challenger 392 Hemi 12.40 STOCK! - Car Videos on StreetFire

THAT IS ALL.............

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Thinking of trading in my 04 Mach on a 392. I was wondering what is the faster model the stick or the manual? What transmissions are they using have they had issues? Is there anything you do not care for with the car?
The auto tranny is from Mercedes. The Tremec manual can handle more torque than the 5-speed auto.

Both transmissions are very, very good. The auto is easier to produce, consistent 1/4 mi times without much driver effort. The 6-speed can produce the same, and possibly better times with a good driver.

In all, the transmissions in the challenger are both very, very good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.