Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am largely dissatisfied with the audio system in this car.
I have retrieved some info from the window sticker for my car's VIN and got this:

Font Circle Number Rectangle Document

So questions:
1) Is the amp part of the radio assembly or is it separate?
2) Are these 6 speakers in a typical layout, that I can refer to through a service manual, if I wanted to replace them?
3) I am using a Samsung Galaxy S10+ with UConnect. I do have an equalizer on this phone and I suspect this is partially the reason why I get heavy distortion at higher volumes. It's not just the distortion, it's the vibration of the housing elements I guess. Has anybody ever installed an audio system in a Challenger that can handle that sort of sound processing? I find the lack of bass disturbing ;) I can also just turn off the equalizer I guess but I use it when on my headphones as well and would rather keep it.
4) What are the choices of replacing the factory radio? Are there 3rd party options with USB support, faster bluetooth DSPs (the delay is mildly annoying) or more output power? What if I wanted to add a trunk woofer that needs extra watts?
5) Any general advice on tweaking the audio system in this car?

·
Registered
17 Posts
1. The amp should be a seperate unit, either in the spare tire area or on the rear deck.
2. You have 2 speakers in the rear deck, 2 in the doors and 2 in the the front dash.
3. The Uconnect system from this era is known to be crappy.
4. Any double din head unit will fit. As WM. Internet Rock DJ said, it isn't just an easy plug and play. You'll need special harnesses for the amp, control interfaces to keep SWC, mounting brackets, etc. If you have knowledge of installing stereos, you can figure it out, but it can get hectic!
5. Personally, I'd start by replacing the speakers. It is a 9 year old car and who knows how the previous owner treated it. You can get good quality speakers for a reasonable price. Pay attention to the ohm rating required! Also try the AUX cable instead of bluetooth.

·
Registered
2011 SXT
4,477 Posts
Replacement Speakers should be 3.2 to 4ohm max. Try Crutchfield be your best bet and is still a Stereo Shop with good reputation.
You dont want to just go splicing and cutting wires and shorting stuff out.

·
Registered
18,299 Posts
The amp crazy as it sounds I thought was under the dash driver side.

And I've seen posts saying how much better it sounded after just a speaker change.

There should also be a spot under the rear deck where the factory 8-inch sub would mount, that system used a 368W amp in place of your 276W.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
32,885 Posts
The amp is under the dash above the pedals
Font Parallel Drawing Art Design

A Guy

·
Registered
2009 R/T
52 Posts
I have this Boston acoustics 6-speaker in my '09.

A new head unit will improve the sound pretty dramatically, imo. Louder, and with less distortion, crazy eq, some other settings you'll never touch. Depending on the unit you might have some white noise at low volumes when audio is off. You can replace the front door speakers with higher impedance but you will need an aftermarket amp. Same goes for if you put anything in the back. If you want to rip it all out and go better than this system, its probably thousands, fyi.

I would start with a new head unit. The Kenwood one I have should honestly be straight up illegal. Wirelessly connects to my phone, and I can stream video to it, but I'm always speeding anyway so I never have (don't break multiple rules at once). It's better than Uconnect for everything but the performance pages.

·
Registered
2009 R/T
52 Posts
Performance pages? Isn't that part of the dashboard display?
What about voice control in alternative head units? Is that a typical feature I can expect to work right out of the box?
Yeah my mistake. Performance pages are in the dash pre-2015, you're right. Integrated voice control, aftermarket front and rear cameras, all of that stuff is typically available depending on the unit. Again, as a reference, I have an older model Kenwood DNX that I am very happy with.

Shops by me in the Detroit area (Cartunes, Mickey Shorr) charge about $200-300 for the labor, if you're comfortable pulling off the front dash and running wires along the front windshield, as others have suggested, Crutchfield has stellar customer service in my experience and they should have everything you'd need at a lower cost.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts