Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Odd question maybe, but I am living in Germany and they have a front plate that is required that measures 20.5" x 4.5". It fits neatly into the lower front grill panel but I am worried if I should block this grill or not. It does not block it entirely, but at least a good 1/2 of the area right dead in the middle.

I don't think it would hurt much as the hood intakes and upper grill are still completely open. However, I thought I should run it by a bunch of folks who know a helluva lot more about cars than me.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Would law enforcement let you slide with a replica Vinyl Appliqué like this?

View attachment 1009234
Very, very few places allow that. I only know of CA offhand. Most consider that forging a plate and is very illegal.

Odd question maybe, but I am living in Germany and they have a front plate that is required that measures 20.5" x 4.5". It fits neatly into the lower front grill panel but I am worried if I should block this grill or not. It does not block it entirely, but at least a good 1/2 of the area right dead in the middle.

I don't think it would hurt much as the hood intakes and upper grill are still completely open. However, I thought I should run it by a bunch of folks who know a helluva lot more about cars than me.
Personally, I wouldn't cover it, as it would block too much airflow into the radiator and tranny cooler ( if an auto ).

Reactions: Dennis H

·
Registered
2014 R/T Classic 6-speed
289 Posts
Here's an idea for something that might work for you. Find a place to fab up a quick aluminum bracket out of sheet stock. You can probably find an HVAC shop with a shear and brake to make it. Or, you could do it yourself with hand tools. The dimensions can be determined by the plate size, and what works under your spoiler; this isn't to scale.

Saw/shear it out on the solid lines, bend the tabs to 90 degrees on the dashed line, and "kink" the center to match the angle of your spoiler on the center dashed line. Drill holes to match the plate on the face, and mounting holes on the tab.

Here's what it might look like on the car. I used mine as an example, but should work for any year. You'll have to drill holes on the underside of the spoiler, but it sure beats drilling the facia.

You can buy brackets that do this, but since you're in Europe, they may be hard to come by.

There may be some things that prevent this from being legal in Germany, like the plate must be mounted a certain specific height from the road, etc. Also, they may not allow you to "kink" the plate in the center to match the spoiler contour. Probably some other things too. The Germans are very fussy about things such as this.

Anyway, was just sitting and having some coffee this morning, and thought I'd take a stab at it.

Cheers!

JD

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pak
288 Posts
That's just like the Sto-N-Sho front plate bracket that I just installed on my 2020SP. It mounts below the chin spoiler and is removable.

DeWFPo

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
The one in the foto between the grill and chin looks good. Anything below the chin will be torn off on driveways and parking bumpers.

·
Registered
2014 R/T Classic 6-speed
289 Posts
That's just like the Sto-N-Sho front plate bracket that I just installed on my 2020SP. It mounts below the chin spoiler and is removable.

DeWFPo
Yeah, I think I remember seeing some products out there that you can buy which mount under the spoiler. This is just an easy fab job that can be done with simple hand tools. With a drill, hacksaw, file and a couple of 2x4's (5.08mm x 10.16mm's?), this can be whipped up in an hour or so. I have a friend in Austria, and shipping from the US to EU can sometimes be quite expensive.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's an idea for something that might work for you. Find a place to fab up a quick aluminum bracket out of sheet stock. You can probably find an HVAC shop with a shear and brake to make it. Or, you could do it yourself with hand tools. The dimensions can be determined by the plate size, and what works under your spoiler; this isn't to scale.

View attachment 1009235
Saw/shear it out on the solid lines, bend the tabs to 90 degrees on the dashed line, and "kink" the center to match the angle of your spoiler on the center dashed line. Drill holes to match the plate on the face, and mounting holes on the tab.

Here's what it might look like on the car. I used mine as an example, but should work for any year. You'll have to drill holes on the underside of the spoiler, but it sure beats drilling the facia.

View attachment 1009236

You can buy brackets that do this, but since you're in Europe, they may be hard to come by.

There may be some things that prevent this from being legal in Germany, like the plate must be mounted a certain specific height from the road, etc. Also, they may not allow you to "kink" the plate in the center to match the spoiler contour. Probably some other things too. The Germans are very fussy about things such as this.

Anyway, was just sitting and having some coffee this morning, and thought I'd take a stab at it.

Cheers!

JD
Thanks I might try this!

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Reactions: hemi1031

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,851 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,377 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
It fits neatly into the lower front grill panel but I am worried if I should block this grill or not. It does not block it entirely, but at least a good 1/2 of the area right dead in the middle.
The lower grill has ducts on either end.. I placed the plate just to the right of the left duct. Placing it on the right will get you a ticket out here.. just a heads up.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Would law enforcement let you slide with a replica Vinyl Appliqué like this?

View attachment 1009234
That is a really good question.
I saw a few of the new "digital" plates out here in San Diego on the 5......
Doesn't mean they are legal, let me know if you get pulled over.
Actually, I should have said "when" you get pulled over.:cool:

·
Registered
2,068 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
They're legal for people in the pilot program, which is only in CA, and in only certain parts of the state.

Bill Text - AB-1614 Vehicles: license plate pilot program.

https://licenseplatewrap.com/
Woah...... I need to get in on that maybe if I pay off the right people?!
For real, I am surprised as commi-fornia is the absolute worst. It took me a month and 600 miles of driving it to get my hellcat smoged just so I could get the title. This was after the new cats and vapor canister under the recall.
The test kept on failing, said catalyst not ready!

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Woah...... I need to get in on that maybe if I pay off the right people?!
For real, I am surprised as commi-fornia is the absolute worst. It took me a month and 600 miles of driving it to get my hellcat smoged just so I could get the title. This was after the new cats and vapor canister under the recall.
The test kept on failing, said catalyst not ready!
The pilot program will end by Jan 1 2021, then it's up to the state when it will go active for the full state.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The pilot program will end by Jan 1 2021, then it's up to the state when it will go active for the full state.
For real, I was just going to leave my new tag off the front when it comes. I never heard of it. I am assuming you need to go to the lepor colony aka CA DMV? I will check in to this.
Because truly I do not know why we need front tags anyway. When doing a bank job I see people all the time backing away. :cool:

Thanks!

·
Registered
97 Posts
That California front vinyl plate is a novel concept. It is certainly cleaner than a front license plate bracket and less damage prone.

I've been a resident in a state requiring a front plate before. I literally had to get a new front plate every year because I'm OCD and someone/something would hit the plate and deform the raised letters. I hated the plate with a passion. It ruins the look of so many cars and the costs were stupid to keep an undamaged plate on the car.

Most of my Ohio friends never put a front plate on, Ohio finally stopped requiring one this July, something I thought would never happen.

There are only 20 States here that don't require a front plate.

My LEO buddies here say they serve 0 purpose and Michigan, thankfully doesn't require one or I would be breaking the law, because I wouldn't be putting one on the Challenger.

However, I understand that literally all EU countries require both plates and the Challenger doesn't have very many options for the EU plate shape on a front bracket. I vote for the option in post 10 if it passes the regulations in Germany.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts