Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Challenger SRT8 #1101. 2005 Dodge Magnum RT AWD
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm planning on going to a local track that offers "Test & Tunes" as well as standard Drag Racing.
1) They require that I install a battery disconnect switch.
* Anyone else do this and have good suggestions?

I'm currently checking this one out as it seems like a good idea to have it work with the Alternator power out also.
PEGASUS 4430 Master Battery Cut-Off Switch

2) Any idea where the best place will be to locate the main positive battery cable feed where it is still 2awg? That's likely my best chance to route through this switch.

2) they also require the Battery to be held in place with 3/8" bolts. I'll need to look again because I really do not recall what size holds ours in.

3) Would a 6 point harness be too over the top? The don't require them but saw that same store has some in their discount section.

Any ideas are appreciated, especially if you have any install pics.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,706 Posts
A Test & Tune is requiring a battery disconnect switch?? That sounds like something you need for NHRA and very highly modified/high speed cars?

A Guy

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,706 Posts
A Test & Tune is requiring a battery disconnect switch?? That sounds like something you need for NHRA and very highly modified/high speed cars?

A Guy
Agreed, I think unless you are under 10 seconds, stock is acceptable. Might be helmets required under 12, I forget, and cages under 10. Also varies with NHRA and IHRA tracks.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,496 Posts
What track? Where are their rules? That might be something they require to run in their "points" system. All those restrictions come in to play when you are running a car so fast (MPH) or quick (Under ET) that requires you to get licensed by either NRHA or IHRA depending which one the track is under.
Personally if I had the land and money I would open an independent track and let people run Hemi powered Wheelbarrows if they want to.

·
Registered
2020 HellRaisin 1320
446 Posts
Yeah, that all sounds like overkill for test n tunes. What track are you going to? I've run at NHRA sanctioned tracks and they don't require any of that, not for the classes and speeds I run at. As long as the battery is in the stock location with the stock hold downs you should be fine. Helmet is usually the first concern most have. Some tracks require you to have a helmet if you run faster than 13.99, some it's 12.99 or faster.

A lot of the rules have eased up when it comes to running stock modern cars. They have all sorts of safety features that cars of old didn't have. As factory stock cars have gotten faster NHRA, IHRA, NMCA, etc. have all had to ease up their rules a bit, otherwise people with factory cars would never be able to race at the track.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies. For the Battery cut off, they state it for relocated batteries in the trunk so I assumed it might also apply to ours already in the trunk. (Manufacturer relocated them to the trunk by design.?)

Lucas Oil Raceway
Indianapolis, IN

~~~ An excerpt from the car requirements. ~~~
  • The following are requirements for street legal vehicles:
    • Shorts are NOT PERMITTED when racing and a shirt with sleeves is required to race.
    • Seat belts must be properly mounted.
    • All windows must be present and in good shape and rolled up fully when racing.(no cracks)
    • All automatic transmissions must have operational neutral safety switches.
    • Doors handles operational inside & out.
    • Battery cannot be in driver’s compartment and the battery must have 3/8 bolts to hold it in place.
    • Batteries that are relocated in the trunk must have external cut off switch to the rear of the vehicle labeled “CUT OFF.”
    • Radiator must have proper overflow catch tank.
    • Tires must be in good condition.
    • Carburetor must be covered: if there is no hood, live fan must be removed but an electric fan is OK.
    • Carburetor must have two return springs installed.
    • Rear seat must be installed or sheet metal covering, or trunk bulkhead must be installed.
    • Convertibles must run with top up and driver MUST have a full-face helmet meeting the SNELL, 2010 or newer rating.
    • All vehicles must have at least one working taillight.
    • All hubcaps and trim rings must be removed.
    • All drivers running vehicles 13.99 or quicker MUST have a helmet meeting the SNELL, 2010 or newer rating.
    • Slicks are allowed.m
    • NO PASSENGERS ARE PERMITTED!
    • If you run quicker than 9.99 seconds you must have an NHRA license.
    • Unaltered 2008 OEM model-year and newer production cars running slower than 9.99 and 135MPH do not have to meet the requirements and specifications for the Summit Racing Series except for the following: Convertibles and T-tops must meet Summit Racing Series roll bar and roll cage requirements, all drivers must meet the Summit Racing Series helmet and protective clothing requirements.
Just trying to make sure to follow the rules.

I will definitely have to look into this.
    • all drivers must meet the Summit Racing Series helmet and protective clothing requirements.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,706 Posts
Our batteries are stock in the trunk, not relocated. That's for cars that didn't come that way. Some move the battery to the trunk to move weight off the front end. Wouldn't apply to you

A Guy

·
Registered
16,211 Posts
Unaltered 2008 OEM model-year and newer production cars running slower than 9.99 and 135MPH do not have to meet the requirements and specifications for the Summit Racing Series
This is all you need to worry about. Your car is OEM and unless you have a Demon running in the 9's, you don't need to make any modifications to it at all. You are good to go as is, just follow the rules for the driver.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,706 Posts
All drivers running vehicles 13.99 or quicker MUST have a helmet meeting the SNELL, 2010 or newer rating
That is the only real kicker for most of us.
That would cover just about all V8 Challengers, right?

Reactions: Frank Julian

·
Registered
8,496 Posts
All drivers running vehicles 13.99 or quicker MUST have a helmet meeting the SNELL, 2010 or newer rating
That is the only real kicker for most of us.
That would cover just about all V8 Challengers, right?
Yep, I hope when I take my car to the track after the Super Charger install and it (hopefully) runs 11's I don't need a helmet.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I suggest you take a trip to the track. Just to learn the way they do things. Ask questions. It will save you a lot of grief.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is all you need to worry about. Your car is OEM and unless you have a Demon running in the 9's, you don't need to make any modifications to it at all. You are good to go as is, just follow the rules for the driver.

It's OEM but it definitely goes faster than 135 mph.

Thank you everyone for your answers and opinions to the wording in their rules.

I'll definitely make a trip out there before I plan on running it. Just saw this post and thought I would check in for some additional thoughts some people more knowledgeable than myself about this.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have to laugh at you guys that are so opposed to a brain bucket.
Even if your car goes 110 mph. If you dump oil or lose a tire. You damn well might get a case of roof rash. What are the odds you will walk away from a crash like that?
I was testing at Milan Dragway near Detroit the day Don Carlton died. He was testing in what Chrysler called the mule an A Body. That could easily duplicate weight distribution, wheelbase etc. Of any Chrysler car. That day it was in "ProStock" trim.
He rolled over a few times in the grass. Didn't really tear the car up at all. But Don didn't buckle his helmet, even though he had it on. It came off while rolling and the roll cage (though it did it's job) gave him an un-survivable concussion. If his helmet didn't come off he would have won many more races

·
Registered
8,496 Posts
I have to laugh at you guys that are so opposed to a brain bucket.
Even if your car goes 110 mph. If you dump oil or lose a tire. You damn well might get a case of roof rash. What are the odds you will walk away from a crash like that?
I was testing at Milan Dragway near Detroit the day Don Carlton died. He was testing in what Chrysler called the mule an A Body. That could easily duplicate weight distribution, wheelbase etc. Of any Chrysler car. That day it was in "ProStock" trim.
He rolled over a few times in the grass. Didn't really tear the car up at all. But Don didn't buckle his helmet, even though he had it on. It came off while rolling and the roll cage (though it did it's job) gave him an un-survivable concussion. If his helmet didn't come off he would have won many more races
I am going to make 1 pass after my supercharger install and I am pretty much done racing, then I will have a bunch of money wrapped up in a helmet to hang on my wall. All I want is an 11 second timeslip. But, you are correct. Can't argue logic. Maybe I can barrow one of my buddies.

If I can find a place that does a standing mile I want to run it in that once too just to get a "top end" on it with the supercharger. Will Def. need a bucket for that.

They mean in the 1/4 mile.

Yeah if your car goes 135 mph in the quarter you are well into the 9's.

·
Premium Member
4,706 Posts
Yeah if your car goes 135 mph in the quarter you are well into the 9's.
Well, 10s, but yep, serious power. Last Friday a modified Charger Hellcat did a 10.2 @141 on drag radials.

·
Premium Member
4,706 Posts
The Demon runs 9's and doesn't go that fast MPH wise
Yeah, it has less power and MUCH more traction, like the 1320s, launch like a beast.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I am going to make 1 pass after my supercharger install and I am pretty much done racing, then I will have a bunch of money wrapped up in a helmet to hang on my wall. All I want is an 11 second timeslip. But, you are correct. Can't argue logic. Maybe I can barrow one of my buddies.

If I can find a place that does a standing mile I want to run it in that once too just to get a "top end" on it with the supercharger. Will Def. need a bucket for that.
That will work. Years ago they used to rent helmets at the track. I don't think most local track inspectors are going to check ratings. If it is an NHRA race they will.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts