Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back I made a mod to get a little extra air under the hood.I have a '10 R/T that I installed the front splitter,ducts and belly pan from an SRT.If you have the Mopar CAI installed look underneath the filter and you will see a round hole.I cut a hole in the top of the driver side duct and ran a hose up to the hole under the filter.I made a small baffle the directs some of the air up to the filter.It didnt cost me anything.I took the hose and adapter that I attached to the duct of an old golf cart,lol. I made the adapter that is right under the filter out of a piece of pipe I had in my shop.

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,817 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
No need to be a smart ass.

Not that its any of your buisness but the shaker isnt even functional. Now go get your hatchet and get back to hacking your car and making a golf cart out of it.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Well I for one really think it's great that you can see the use in parts found in other items. I do it all the time myself. There will always be folks that buy all their parts from dealers and are afraid to try anything for fear of a screw up or simply lack of imagination or motivation. That's great, it keeps a lot of businesses going, however the roots of speed equipment goes back to guys like you, who have an idea and try it out. They may have failed but that's how they learned and tried again and again until they got the results they wanted. Hell, check out the intake manifold on the original Ramchargers cars! I doubt they bought that from a catalog. Yet look where that manifold design took them. I like your idea and I sure will not talk it down because you used golf cart parts. Ya think the engine knows that piece of plastic came from a golf cart? Don't let others stop you from being creative. No matter what you do, there will always be people who don't believe it can work. They'll be the first in line to buy one from you if it works and you start a business from your idea. Steve Jobs comes to mind.....Keep up the good work!

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks eecom.Going back to comment about it drawing air out,that wouldn't be so bad. Getting rid of any under the hood heat is beneficial.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Anything that has the potential of introducing cold air to the intake cannot be a bad thing. Had I not found a fender draw CAI for a decent deal (cheap) I would have figured out how to do this to my first under hood cai. I don't golf though so who knows how it may have ended! I still wonder about that duct from the dash vent with AC on. :rofl:

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
This is a similar mod to the lower radiator baffle mod that folks did when the Challengers first came out (which did show some benefit). There was a thread if I recall on the lx forums.

Maybe I missed it, but does the tube connect to the airbox or do you have it just coming up through the hole in the fender under the filter?

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
This is a similar mod to the lower radiator baffle mod that folks did when the Challengers first came out (which did show some benefit). There was a thread if I recall on the lx forums.

Maybe I missed it, but does the tube connect to the airbox or do you have it just coming up through the hole in the fender under the filter?
I just have it coming through the hole under the filter.The Mopar CAI kit to I have doesn't have a box. It just has a piece of metal that separates it from the engine. For what it's worth. I put a little fan in front of the duct and there is air coming through the duct up to the filter. I don't know if the same is happening when the car is moving. If there was a little more room under the hood I would strap myself in there and go for a test ride. Lol.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I just have it coming through the hole under the filter.The Mopar CAI kit to I have doesn't have a box. It just has a piece of metal that separates it from the engine. For what it's worth. I put a little fan in front of the duct and there is air coming through the duct up to the filter. I don't know if the same is happening when the car is moving. If there was a little more room under the hood I would strap myself in there and go for a test ride. Lol.
That makes sense, and I would expect some air to come up through the tube. I think the key is to avoid covering so much of hole in the fender such that the ambient air in that pocket is interrupted some how. Again, probably not a lot of extra HP one way or another, but tinkering is what hot rodding is all about, and any extra air to the filter can't be a bad thing.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I will put it to you this way, if you look to the right of the lower air dam on your car it already has an opening to let some air over below your air cleaner, it has no exiting point and takes air from the front of the car and works.

What you have created is exit to your brake duct thus it has a exit in the wheel well, so now any air that gets into the spot below your air cleaner from the lower grill will find the path of least resistance which will be your duct not your air cleaner.

To correct my post this morning the shaker is called functional, to what level I am not sure, I have a T/A hood that I left un-functional.

So yes I will go screw myself, you just keep on screwing your car.:thumbsup:

I really do support anyone who tries something new and thoes who fab things instead of buying what corperate america and china sell. But sometimes you may not realize that your efforts are diminished with a set up that fails. Now the real issue is that when faced with other opinions some get all out of line and refuse to accept the facts. Anyone can fail at something, it takes a smart man to accept it.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I will put it to you this way, if you look to the right of the lower air dam on your car it already has an opening to let some air over below your air cleaner, it has no exiting point and takes air from the front of the car and works.

What you have created is exit to your brake duct thus it has a exit in the wheel well, so now any air that gets into the spot below your air cleaner from the lower grill will find the path of least resistance which will be your duct not your air cleaner.

To correct my post this morning the shaker is called functional, to what level I am not sure, I have a T/A hood that I left un-functional.

So yes I will go screw myself, you just keep on screwing your car.:thumbsup:

I really do support anyone who tries something new and thoes who fab things instead of buying what corperate america and china sell. But sometimes you may not realize that your efforts are diminished with a set up that fails. Now the real issue is that when faced with other opinions some get all out of line and refuse to accept the facts. Anyone can fail at something, it takes a smart man to accept it.
Why would the tube be the path of least resistance, especially when driving? I would think there would be higher pressure in the tube than in the low pressure area of the fender well (which isn't a sealed area by any means). In any event, I can't imagine the tube harming performance in any material way. Is the tube big enough to get a ram air effect? Probably not, but you're not going to be losing much air with it there, especially with a filter of that size sucking air in.

Re shakers, all on the market (including the Mopar) are functional except for the Mr. Norms, which is just the hood and an attached scoop.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts