Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
'13 Dodge Challenger SXT
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I hope you're doing well.
I had my car detailed about two months ago, and I believe they used paint sealant. (They said they upgraded it past wax because of the long wait), and I was thinking about getting some ceramic wax applied to it tomorrow because of the nearing monsoon season. That won't hurt the longer lasting paint sealant or anything, right?
I'm a newbie to detailing, I apologize. Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
24,941 Posts
You certainly can top a sealant that has fully cured (yours has). But the sealant will have more longevity than wax, so if you are happy with the appearance with the sealant on, no benefit to waxing over it.

IF you find the appearance is improved to your liking with a good Carnauba wax for instance, then it could make sense. Be aware, you are trading the characteristics of the wax for those of the sealant...at least until the wax wears off. If your sealant is particularly hydrophobic, then you may well be applying a wax that will not bead/shed water as well

Now adding into the mix the SiO2 in a ceramic wax, and you might just be introducing a more hydrophobic topper, with better characteristics than the sealant. Once it wears off, the sealant will still be intact. Long story short, try an area with the ceramic wax. if you prefer the look, the water beading/shedding then you are applying what amounts to a sacrificial layer that can be replenished, and should extend the longevity of the sealant

A Guy

·
Registered
'13 Dodge Challenger SXT
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You certainly can top a sealant that has fully cured (yours has). But the sealant will have more longevity than wax, so if you are happy with the appearance with the sealant on, no benefit to waxing over it.

IF you find the appearance is improved to your liking with a good Carnauba wax for instance, then it could make sense. Be aware, you are trading the characteristics of the wax for those of the sealant...at least until the wax wears off. If your sealant is particularly hydrophobic, then you may well be applying a wax that will not bead/shed water as well

Now adding into the mix the SiO2 in a ceramic wax, and you might just be introducing a more hydrophobic topper, with better characteristics than the sealant. Once it wears off, the sealant will still be intact. Long story short, try an area with the ceramic wax. if you prefer the look, the water beading/shedding then you are applying what amounts to a sacrificial layer that can be replenished, and should extend the longevity of the sealant

A Guy
You always have the best explanations, my good sir!! Thank you so much. I do love the look of the sealant, I must admit. But for me, it's about what's going to give me the longest protection. Sounds like the sealant will last even longer by being topped off by a wax, therefore making the car have even longe protection? Plus, it should hide any scratches and swirls a little better, woo.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger 1320
2,368 Posts
Do you know the name of the sealant used? Just like waxes and ceramic coatings, not all sealants are created equal.

If the sealant is a quality, long lasting one, any wax you lay over it won't adhere as well as if it was directly on the paint, and will likely wear off in a matter of a couple of weeks. That said, any additional layer helps preserve the sealant underneath.

It all depends on the quality of the sealant underneath. If it's not really a long lasting sealant, then applying another product on top might extend its life.

Reactions: Phobos
1 - 4 of 4 Posts