Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Think I'm about ready to buy a new 2018 Challenger R/T.

Haven't set foot on the dealer lot yet and maybe someone at the dealer could answer these but I thought I'd ask here first.

Have a couple of questions a search didn't answer.

1) Is the A/C compressor a constant displacement type or is it the variable displacement type? The car is equipped with the dual zone automatic temperature control. (My current 2 cars have the auto temperature control feature and both have variable displacement A/C compressors. This variable displacement compressor is very nice. It doesn't manifest the constant and I find irritating A/C clutch engagement/disengagement to deliver the necessary level of cooling. The auto temperature control simply adjusts the compressor's displacement to increase/decrease the amount of cooling.)

2) Does the 2018 model with the V8 and coupled to a 6-speed do the engine stop/start thing at stop lights? If so can this be disabled? The car I'm considering has the Super Trak Pak option with "Dodge Performance Pages" if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Think I'm about ready to buy a new 2018 Challenger R/T.

Haven't set foot on the dealer lot yet and maybe someone at the dealer could answer these but I thought I'd ask here first.

Have a couple of questions a search didn't answer.

1) Is the A/C compressor a constant displacement type or is it the variable displacement type? The car is equipped with the dual zone automatic temperature control. (My current 2 cars have the auto temperature control feature and both have variable displacement A/C compressors. This variable displacement compressor is very nice. It doesn't manifest the constant and I find irritating A/C clutch engagement/disengagement to deliver the necessary level of cooling. The auto temperature control simply adjusts the compressor's displacement to increase/decrease the amount of cooling.)

2) Does the 2018 model with the V8 and coupled to a 6-speed do the engine stop/start thing at stop lights? If so can this be disabled? The car I'm considering has the Super Trak Pak option with "Dodge Performance Pages" if that makes any difference.
Don't know about the A/C.

None of the Challengers have stop/start.

Those equipped with the Automatic have MDS Cylinder deactivation, which only comes on at speed, and can be disabled by putting the car into sport mode.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have NOT been impressed with the dual zone climate control on the Challenger, or the rest of the HVAC system for that matter. It's always too hot or too cold (same temp setting but different days), neither side seems to get comfortable and it never seems to blow enough air in auto mode. Give me the old manual controls that I can adjust while driving without having to take my eyes off the road to navigate through the infotainment system to get air from just my feet to both head and feet. That's my one big gripe about the car. If you are picky about the dual climate control you really need to drive one for yourself and then decide.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
I can't speak for the Challenger (mine isn't in yet), but I've had a 2011 Charger since 2010 with dual zone climate and I don't recall ever hearing the AC compressor cycling on and off. I'm not sure if they have changed compressors since then, though.

·
Premium Member
9,123 Posts
I double the compressors function like you’re describing. Windows down and listening to the exhaust note is even better.
That start stop is the most rediculous feature there is, destroy a starter but save an ounce of gas, sounds like a tree hugger solution.
Just go buy and enjoy the car and don’t ask the dealer any important questions as they will just make up the answer on the fly. The great members here will give you real world and knowledgeable answers.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
That start stop is the most rediculous feature there is, destroy a starter but save an ounce of gas, sounds like a tree hugger solution.
That is exactly what it is. To meet CAFE standards, passenger car fleet numbers have had to go up 3% per year since 2016 and only get worse through 2025. Shutting that engine off for a few seconds may only save a tiny amount of gas per stop, but add it up for a year, and across an company's entire produced fleet, and it buys them enough to survive another year. If it also means they get to install new starters in those vehicles at 4 years old instead of 8, that's a bonus.

·
Premium Member
9,123 Posts
That is exactly what it is. To meet CAFE standards, passenger car fleet numbers have had to go up 3% per year since 2016 and only get worse through 2025. Shutting that engine off for a few seconds may only save a tiny amount of gas per stop, but add it up for a year, and across an company's entire produced fleet, and it buys them enough to survive another year. If it also means they get to install new starters in those vehicles at 4 years old instead of 8, that's a bonus.
If on July 20th 1969 we put a man on the moon then why do we need stop start to raise fuel standards??????
They can shove cafe standards up their a sses, it’s all about money because the oil companies would fail if we got 50 mpgs or more out of our cars. We put a man on the moon and they still haven’t found a cure for cancer either as it would destroy many people’s income stream so they just keep things manageable and plugging along. Just stop and think of the mass unemployment numbers and shuttered facilities if cancer was no longer an industry.
Our entire society is based on money no more nothing less.
Today’s news was they are considering a per mile tax on cars out in California because electric and hybrids don’t pay enough or any fuel taxes, again it’s all about bending the public over for their share.
Buy carbon credits, what a load of crap, how does cash fix pollution? It doesn’t but it feeds the governmental cash machine. We the people are just an annuity for the dirt bags in government.
Gee, I feel better now.

·
Super Moderator
14,408 Posts
These cars have a dual heater core setup ['15 and newer] - so there's an actuator for driver's side, passenger side that regulate the amount of heat directed to each side (and allows blending temps for A/C operation).

So its a single constant displacement style A/C compressor. One chiller circuit feeding into the dual heater core box.

For reference, the earlier ['14 and older] had single zone heating / cooling. '11 brought auto-climate control, where '10 and earlier was manual climate controls...

The only vehicles that are stop start seem to be the Jeep models other than Wrangler that have engine stop/start - they get ~ 1 mpg higher on city cycle and this also lower the CO2 emissions on the EPA test.

For the models sold outside the US, the C02 emissions are a big deal with in the those countries; often the similar setup will be deployed across the line, and for the EPA test cycle, the higher MPG helps with a maker's CAFE number and the credits they earn. [if they're under the CAFE, they get fines...this goes back decades when CAFE requirements came into play]

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the all the replies....

Checked with dealer and was told the A/C compressor was "variable". I asked for clarification and got crickets in response. Typical dealer. You have to buy the car to find out what's in it.

Did a search online for a factory service/repair manual but found nothing available yet.

Both my current cars have a variable displacement A/C compressor and it sure is nice not to have the compressor cycling with the engine load/RPMs changing when it does.

Anyhow, I have one of my cars at a dealer awaiting a quote to buy the car. Whenever I took the car in for service I'd get emails asking if I wanted to sell the car. Now I get to see just how serious the offers were.

If the car sells then I go look at the Challenger maybe as early as Friday.

If the car doesn't sell I can still go look at the Challenger Friday, even buy it if I like it. The Dodge dealer expressed an interest in taking one of my cars in as a trade in but of course said someone would have to "check it out". I will insist on going along to make sure the driver doesn't beat the car to death.

If the trade in allowance is acceptable then I trade in my car and drive home in a new Challenger.

If the trade doesn't happen I'll have to arrange to have my used car picked up and taken to a nearby auto action facility to be sold at auction. This is not a public car auction site though but still I used this facility in the past to sell a car and it worked out pretty good. I got several thousand dollars over the car's appraised value.

If the trade in doesn't happen then maybe the auction will. Prefer this to trying to sell the car on my own.

·
Premium Member
9,123 Posts
Checked with dealer and was told the A/C compressor was "variable". I asked for clarification and got crickets in response. Typical dealer. You have to buy the car to find out what's in it.

Did a search online for a factory service/repair manual but found nothing available yet.

Both my current cars have a variable displacement A/C compressor and it sure is nice not to have the compressor cycling with the engine load/RPMs changing when it does.

Anyhow, I have one of my cars at a dealer awaiting a quote to buy the car. Whenever I took the car in for service I'd get emails asking if I wanted to sell the car. Now I get to see just how serious the offers were.

If the car sells then I go look at the Challenger maybe as early as Friday.

If the car doesn't sell I can still go look at the Challenger Friday, even buy it if I like it. The Dodge dealer expressed an interest in taking one of my cars in as a trade in but of course said someone would have to "check it out". I will insist on going along to make sure the driver doesn't beat the car to death.

If the trade in allowance is acceptable then I trade in my car and drive home in a new Challenger.

If the trade doesn't happen I'll have to arrange to have my used car picked up and taken to a nearby auto action facility to be sold at auction. This is not a public car auction site though but still I used this facility in the past to sell a car and it worked out pretty good. I got several thousand dollars over the car's appraised value.

If the trade in doesn't happen then maybe the auction will. Prefer this to trying to sell the car on my own.
Those ads and calls because “we’re interested in buying your car” are to get you in and bend your over while insulting you and pushing their new car on you. They don’t want to give you a cent more than they have to which is never near what they could or should give you. They absolutely don’t want to buy it from you and not sell you the next one either.
Once in the door it’s their way or see ya, they have the gold they make the rules. Good luck.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've gotten KBB trade-in for my car which was reasonable. They tried to low ball me but I stood firm and they eventually gave me the KBB trade-in value after 4 offers thrown at me. You will definitely get more for your vehicle if you sold it private party or the other method you mentioned.
Also if you haven't yet, check out truecar and compare what other people are paying for 2018 RT's in your area. And don't make the same mistake I did and actually make the trip to multiple dealers before settling on one.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I've gotten KBB trade-in for my car which was reasonable. They tried to low ball me but I stood firm and they eventually gave me the KBB trade-in value after 4 offers thrown at me. You will definitely get more for your vehicle if you sold it private party or the other method you mentioned.
Also if you haven't yet, check out truecar and compare what other people are paying for 2018 RT's in your area. And don't make the same mistake I did and actually make the trip to multiple dealers before settling on one.
+1 on the advice above. Car Gurus will do the same thing for you. Sounds like you are about to get hosed by the oldest ploy in the books. Don't believe a word of the letter they sent you... they send out hundreds... to everybody. They don't want your CAR, they want you. It's the same old game. They want you to trade and buy new. They make big money on this process no matter what color they paint it. You're just the next "Joe" that walks in the door: nothing less, nothing more.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Those ads and calls because “we’re interested in buying your car” are to get you in and bend your over while insulting you and pushing their new car on you. They don’t want to give you a cent more than they have to which is never near what they could or should give you. They absolutely don’t want to buy it from you and not sell you the next one either.
Once in the door it’s their way or see ya, they have the gold they make the rules. Good luck.
Retreived my car this AM. Never got a quote for the car. Kind of figured as much.

Have a tentative appointment to visit the Dodge dealer Saturday. Someone from the dealer called me today and said bring my car and it would be appraised. No one will drive my car. I can even attend the appraisal if I want. I want. I want to *not* react when the appraiser walks around the car and reacts like he's been shot every time he thinks he sees something.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Retreived my car this AM. Never got a quote for the car. Kind of figured as much.

Have a tentative appointment to visit the Dodge dealer Saturday. Someone from the dealer called me today and said bring my car and it would be appraised. No one will drive my car. I can even attend the appraisal if I want. I want. I want to *not* react when the appraiser walks around the car and reacts like he's been shot every time he thinks he sees something.
I had my car appraised by 2 dealerships when inquiring about a trade-in. They visually inspect it inside/out, take a look at the engine bay, brake pads, trunk, tire tread, and will only move it forward a foot while in gear to make sure the clutch is still good. It was a 10min inspection. YMMV

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had my car appraised by 2 dealerships when inquiring about a trade-in. They visually inspect it inside/out, take a look at the engine bay, brake pads, trunk, tire tread, and will only move it forward a foot while in gear to make sure the clutch is still good. It was a 10min inspection. YMMV
That's probably how the inspection/appraisal for my car will go. If the dealer accepts the car and if I agree to accept what the dealer will allow for a trade in value the dealer will probably just wholesale the car. There's a large commercial -- no public selling/bidding -- auto auction facility just a few miles from the dealer. A short ride on a flat bed tow truck and the car's at the auction faciity. I think this facility holds "exotic" car/vehicle auctions every month and that is when my car would be sold.

Anyhow, I did some research last night and am not going to buy an R/T.

I will instead try to buy an R/T Scat Pack. I believe the 6.4l engine is the better engine -- this doesn't mean I think the 5.7l engine is a boat anchor -- just that the 6.4l is, well, the better engine.

There are a number of Challenger R/T Scat Pack vehicles around. I found 10 not too far away from me. The problem is just 2 are 6-speeds. The rest have the 8-speed TorqueFlite automatic. The TorqueFlite has to be one of the best if not the best automatic based on my experience with the one in a D200 pickup I owned for a few years, but I would prefer a 6-speed. One of the 6-speeds is black which is just not a color I think I could learn to love. Oh black cars look fantastic but I just don't want to have to deal with trying to keep one looking nice. Too bad as the black car is the least expensive of the 10 cars I found. I added it to my list because it is a 6-speed and because it is priced lower than all the other cars. I declined to add any number of other black cars to my list because they were automatics and more expensively optioned.

The other 6-speed is white which is nice but it is located almost 30 miles away. This is the furthest car from me.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Always get the color you want. I visited one dealer because they had an awesome steal for a brand new white TA 5.7L and when I saw it in person, I knew I was going to get tired looking at it and end up with regrets. I waited til I found the color I want, hence my username RedlineTA ;)
The 6.4L is def better if you can threw few extra grand. The MPG is nearly identical and the power output is tremendous. I love my 8speed auto (I use my TA as daily driver and live in San Francisco Bay Area) so rowing gears uphill, grid lock, etc gets tiring. If I had lived elsewhere I would most def pick up a 6 speed. Good luck finding your scat pack. Make sure to take your time and not rush things. Scat pack will always be around but a buyer may not

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
The HVAC in the Challenger is fabulous compared to say anything frod or gm has...and I have a 2017 GMC truck and its pitiful in automatic or manual compared to either of the Challengers I've had.(12/15/16)...The Challenger works great..

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
About this Discussion
45 Replies
17 Participants
silver scat
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing