Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here switched from the stock 20' rims and tires on the 2016 RT Plus to an 18" steel rim with 18" studded tires? We live in New England and get lots of ice and snow.:frown:
I'm particularly interested in whether or not we need to have the speedometer reclibrated/flashed each time we switch from winter 18" set up back to spring 20" setup.

Thanks.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Wheel diameter doesn't affect speedo, overall tire diameter does. I switch from 20's to 18's for winter and the overall tire diameter is within like an 1/8 of an inch, no issues.

Reactions: vic49

·
Premium Member
2,613 Posts
Wheel diameter doesn't affect speedo, overall tire diameter does. I switch from 20's to 18's for winter and the overall tire diameter is within like an 1/8 of an inch, no issues.
Same thing here. The difference between both tires is .3 inches in my case. So 2 MPH difference at 60 MPH.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am moving to New England in January and driving up from Texas, so I am in the same boat as you. I am looking at getting winter tires (non studded) Blizzaks with 18" rims, but I hate the Steel Rims that Tirerack sells, does anyone have a link to a different style steel rim?

Here is what Tirerack has for our vehicle https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runSteel&wheelMake=New&wheelModel=Steel+Wheel&wheelFinish=Black+Painted&initialPartNumber=X66034A&prefTire=26HR8XI3&autoMake=Dodge&autoModel=Challenger&autoYear=2017&autoModClar=R%2FT+Plus

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
Has anyone here switched from the stock 20' rims and tires on the 2016 RT Plus to an 18" steel rim with 18" studded tires? We live in New England and get lots of ice and snow.:frown:
I'm particularly interested in whether or not we need to have the speedometer reclibrated/flashed each time we switch from winter 18" set up back to spring 20" setup.

Thanks.
a 245 /55 - 18" will be the same diameter as the stock 245/45 - 20 tire.

That size commonly turns up for snow / winter tires.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I run a 235/60 R18 for winter.

Attachments

·
Registered
281 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Sorry to jump in on your thread, but I have clarification question. I'm getting a 2018 R/T Plus, but the only tire options for it from the factory are 20 or 21" wheels. Does anyone know if the 17/18 cars can go down to 18s? I really don't want to buy a set and then find out that they won't fit over the brakes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Snow Tires/Rims

I run 235/55/18 Michelin X-Ice on Mopar Police rims that retail around $80 CDN per rim at Dodge dealers...never any problems with speedo etc...plus they look badass for steelies lol

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
Sorry to jump in on your thread, but I have clarification question. I'm getting a 2018 R/T Plus, but the only tire options for it from the factory are 20 or 21" wheels. Does anyone know if the 17/18 cars can go down to 18s? I really don't want to buy a set and then find out that they won't fit over the brakes.
Presently the only models that have 18" wheels are the base SXT models - FCA went to 20" wheels for most other trims, except the GT which uses 19" wheels.

In past years, you could get an R/T with 18" wheels - they cleared the two-piston Bosch brakes. My '09 R/T was configured that way with 18" wheels. The diameter of brake rotors did not change on R/T models.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
In past years, you could get an R/T with 18" wheels - they cleared the two-piston Bosch brakes. My '09 R/T was configured that way with 18" wheels. The diameter of brake rotors did not change on R/T models.
Does anyone know if this is still the case? I just found a steal of a deal on like-new 225/60R18 Michelin X-Ice tires on rims that are:

Width 7.5JJ
Bolt Pattern 5/114.3

I know the 114.3 isn't ideal, but I also know it is commonly accepted practice to use rims with that spacing on 115 hubs. What I don't know is the offset, so I'm trying to get that info now.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Seller indicated that:

The brand of wheel is Ultra 18x8, offset 45.00, bolt pattern 5x4.50

I'm worried about that offset. Thoughts?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts