Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the first tip will be "DONT DO THIS BY YOURSELF" but listen, I literally have no one to even ask to help out and I do not trust the guys at my garage with this. Has anyone here done it completely by themselves? From what I understand, after they are attached at the bottom, you kind of lay them on the roof and then drill. Doesn't seem like a horrible thing to attempt by yourself. But again, any tips at all would be appreciated. Just got word that they shipped so I hope to be able to install them within a week or so. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
I know the first tip will be "DONT DO THIS BY YOURSELF" but listen, I literally have no one to even ask to help out and I do not trust the guys at my garage with this. Has anyone here done it completely by themselves? From what I understand, after they are attached at the bottom, you kind of lay them on the roof and then drill. Doesn't seem like a horrible thing to attempt by yourself. But again, any tips at all would be appreciated. Just got word that they shipped so I hope to be able to install them within a week or so. Thanks!
I've been there. I did everything myself except the last step, which was to drill into the roof. I needed my brother's help in pushing the louvers forward as I drilled. Why that is important is when installed, these louvers barely clear the trunk lid when it opens. If you are off just a little bit, that's enough to screw you over. One thing I did differently on that last step was I didn't use the screws they supplied, as it required you to pull down the headliner a bit once the screws went through 2 layers of steel. My solution was to buy 3/4" long #6 self tapping screws, so I only had to drill through one layer of steel and not mess with the headliner. Where do you live? Maybe myself or someone else that has done this lives close enough to give you a second set of hands.

Reactions: A Guy

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,707 Posts
Here's how I would do it by myself, call a good local body shop, drop the car and the louvers off, hand them cash and pick up the car. As I get older I find myself writing more checks and handing out more cash than handling any tools. "Why pay to have it done right when you can ""F"" it up yourself for free" is no longer my motto.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's how I would do it by myself, call a good local body shop, drop the car and the louvers off, hand them cash and pick up the car. As I get older I find myself writing more checks and handing out more cash than handling any tools. "Why pay to have it done right when you can ""F"" it up yourself for free" is no longer my motto.
I hear you, trust me, but i've had a few of the shops around me to little things here and there over the years, and every single time, someone always forgets something or misses a detail or doesnt write down what I say. So basically i don't trust them with big things, especially when it comes to drilling and precise placement Lol

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been there. I did everything myself except the last step, which was to drill into the roof. I needed my brother's help in pushing the louvers forward as I drilled. Why that is important is when installed, these louvers barely clear the trunk lid when it opens. If you are off just a little bit, that's enough to screw you over. One thing I did differently on that last step was I didn't use the screws they supplied, as it required you to pull down the headliner a bit once the screws went through 2 layers of steel. My solution was to buy 3/4" long #6 self tapping screws, so I only had to drill through one layer of steel and not mess with the headliner. Where do you live? Maybe myself or someone else that has done this lives close enough to give you a second set of hands.
Thanks for the info, and thanks for the offer to help, I really appreciate it! If that's all it is is just pushing them up a little to get the right drill spots, then I should be able to get my neighbor to help with that, shouldn't be too big of an issue. I'll have to think about the self tapping screws. The instructions say its no big deal to pull down the headliner but I know how that goes. I might PM you for some more details if you don't mind though. Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts