Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking this spring I might repaint my RPI's to give them a "just-installed" look. I'm planning on masking off where necessary, then spraying the mudguards with a flat black.

Has anyone else tried this? Any problems? Any tips?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I don't have any mudflaps "yet", been considering the RPI's but are the "backs" of your flaps messed up? If so, why? the part facing the wheels is going to get some wear but I hope not the backside which is what you see mostly. If you are going to paint the wheel-well side, I wouldn't. The rocks and things hitting the paint will make the guards look worse in my opinion.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'm thinking this spring I might repaint my RPI's to give them a "just-installed" look. I'm planning on masking off where necessary, then spraying the mudguards with a flat black.

Has anyone else tried this? Any problems? Any tips?
I have the RPI's and they are a type of plastic that is rather "waxy" so I doubt if standard spraypaint is going to stay put and not flake off. Check into the Rustolium paints made just for plastics and let us know how they work and hold up. Good luck.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Redliner: the RPI's are painted to begin with, so I'd just be repainting them. The outsides have become stained, too, with water dripping from the car and whatever else. I want to return them to their original nice dark flat black color. I have a can of flat black rust paint I was planning to use.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
Why mask off.. just take 'em off and paint 'em. Then reinstall. Avoid all the overspray and masking issues.

Mike

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Highwayflyer: thanks for the tip about Back to Black; I'll look into that.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The ones I received from them were painted plexiglass. I didn't realize this until it was too late. I installed them with 3m tape instead of drilling more holes. When I tried to to clean them, the paint came off so I bead blasted them for texture then primed and painted them with paint made for plastic from walmart. Sorry, don't remember what brand.

Anyway, worked perfect, looks better and will probably last longer than the stuff they used.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Dang! i figured they made these things from that "tuff", black plastic so it would never change colors. Is the plastic black? .......and you paint them the body color? I know the flaps on my toyota truck are solid black through and through.

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
I bought a pair from RPI that are the same shape as the painted ones but are plastic. This was to avoid having to paint them every once in a while.
Jeff
So are the new ones solid black plastic now instead of painted plexiglass like the older ones?

I just looked on their site, and saw they offer two types now, regular ones (black) and ones painted body color. But the description of the regular ones doesn't mention if they are a black material, or still just painted black.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I was very disapointed when I found out that they clear under the coating. I too was expecting abs plastic or something similar. When I contacted them about what happened, they basically called me an idiot & that they have been selling them for many years to vette owners & I was the first one to ever do that. (I find that unlikely.)

Anyway, I used semi-gloss black. It looks great & seems to be holding up fine.

I personally will not buy from them again due to the way they treated me on the phone.

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
I have to admit that I had a pretty good experience with them, and I knew going in that they were painted plexi (there was a lot of back and forth on the announcement thread they put up), so that didn't upset me.

I was just curious if they had changed over... Seems like using black plastic to start with would be a cheaper way to make them than having to put in time and materials for painting each set.

·
Registered
169 Posts
After six months of use my RPI mudflaps are also faded. I only have the front ones installed, the rears are still in the box. I love the shape and how they attach to the car. But I don't want to repaint them once a year.

It would be great to know if they are now made out of solid black plastic or are still painted clear plastic. I would buy another set if they have changed the material to black. If so... it would be nice if they offered a discount to customer who have previously purchased them.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm the OP. It seems to me it's an advantage to have painted ones; if the paint becomes stained/scratched/faded, just re-paint. That's my plan.

I won't take them off, because they were a bit of a pain to install. The masking will probably take a lot longer then the actual painting, but, hey, we all like to fiddle with our cars, and this is an easy-to-do job.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts