Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my never ending "Why can"t I make up my mind", on whether to have a stripe gloss or matte...............talked to a shop today and I want to make sure this is a correct statement. The guy says if you go matte, you can"t wax it, or even use detail spray on it.........this just doesn't sound right to me.

So you "matte" guys, are you waxing or detailing spraying those stripes or what. LOL

Thanks

Rich

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
True statement! Matte finishes need a product like Dr Beasley's, not wax, to protect them. And you have to be very careful wiping matte finishes too as you can make them shiny with improper care. Some folks don't like matte finishes because of the different - and sometimes extra - care they take. For me it isn't a big deal because I only drive my TA in good weather. Recommend you do plenty of research before deciding!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True statement! Matte finishes need a product like Dr Beasley's, not wax, to protect them. And you have to be very careful wiping matte finishes too as you can make them shiny with improper care. Some folks don't like matte finishes because of the different - and sometimes extra - care they take. For me it isn't a big deal because I only drive my TA in good weather. Recommend you do plenty of research before deciding!
Thanks 17 TA, did a you tube search ...........I guess really not that bad for the upkeep, I'm just thinking hash marks on the fender, and a tail stripe, so when I wax no big deal to tape the edges off there..........I had the gloss stripes on my 2010 challenger, I liked them, but I always thought the matte looked better on the other cars ive seen.

Oh, here I go again, cant make up my mind. LOL

Rich

·
Registered
116 Posts
I use detail spray and meguairs x-press spray wax on mine all the time, no problem. I do not use paste wax on stripes. Good luck. My car is garage kept, don't know how keeping stripes on daily driver would be.

·
Registered
50 Posts
True statement if the matte finish is painted on. The vinyl stripes have a flat finish not a texture. And can be sprayed with a detail polish.

·
Super Moderator
13,850 Posts
I use Meguiars' detail spray on the "carbon fiber" hood stripes on my 2009 SRT. They look great after 9 years but the spray does give them a little gloss.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
I prefer the looks of matte and no issues using detail spray on my previous or present Challenger

Matte gives a great contrast with the paint. I use Liquid Glass on the paint, so I do tape off the stripes when applying this or using clay bar. Worth the little extra effort IMO

Attachments

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have twin stripes , they are gloss and I'm going to change them out as I don't like the shine, as someone else mentioned I also like the contrast !

·
Registered
588 Posts
I guess I'm in the minority as I like gloss stripes.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,362 Posts
I have matte (flat) finish stripes on my '16 - easy to care for and depending on light / angled viewed, the color changes a bit.

I used to have gloss stripes on my '09 - and while easy to care for, they can get swirls and spider-web scratches, which I polished using plastic polish for convertible windows.

After all that - I'd say the matte / flat stripes overall are less maintenance.

this picture was taken while the '71 style stripes were being installed and the shaker stripes were being removed from trunk / roof areas.

Attachments

·
Registered
744 Posts
I have always waxed the matte stripes on my Challenger.The key is put the wax on and immediately wipe it back off.Don't let it stay on the stripe longer than a minute or two.All it does is enhance the satin sheen.I have always done flat/satin paint and decals this way with no issues and I have been waxing cars for 33 years with no issues.If you are afraid of traditional wax Turtle Wax Ice works well on flat and satin decals/finishes.I know most will tell you the opposite of what I am telling you.And of course make sure the surface is not in the sun or hot when you do this.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Looks great.Where did you get your side stripes.I have a 2015 R/T that had the new style R/T side stripes that I never liked and I finally removed them.Would love a set like yours.Here is mine with stripes removed.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts