Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a few posts on using the wires behind the glove box. Anybody know how to get to them? If someone could also verify the wire to use for a 12v connection. This will be to power the radar detector smart cord so it will need to turn on with the ignition. If there is another wire I should use let me know as the posts I've read were for powering footwell lights.

Ohhh, this is for a '16 Challenger.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've read a few posts on using the wires behind the glove box. Anybody know how to get to them? If someone could also verify the wire to use for a 12v connection. This will be to power the radar detector smart cord so it will need to turn on with the ignition. If there is another wire I should use let me know as the posts I've read were for powering footwell lights.

Ohhh, this is for a '16 Challenger.

I found the answer for anybody else wanting to tap into the 12v accessory and/or battery power.

https://youtu.be/P5_h7XdyUKw

·
Registered
126 Posts
That's where I got the power for my accessories. I brought the switched, unswitched and ground to a terminal block under the drivers side dash. Any future additions or modifications can be easily connected without digging back into the console.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now if I can see how to remove the plastic molding that runs along the inner door frame from the A pillar down to the door sill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's where I got the power for my accessories. I brought the switched, unswitched and ground to a terminal block under the drivers side dash. Any future additions or modifications can be easily connected without digging back into the console.

What terminal block did you use and where did you mount it? Can you provide a photo?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I used a terminal block as pictured. Available at any home center. You can get a longer one and cut off what you need. Mine is securely zip tied behind the knee panel which would make taking a pic difficult. Fishing a wire down the A pillar is easy. The top will pop free and it will hinge open as designed for the air bags.

Attachments

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thx.

The A pillar is the easy part. It's the flat piece of trim that goes along the inner door jam between the A pillar and down to the bottom door sill. It can only be seen with the door open.

·
Registered
126 Posts
That part just pops off too. Behind that are a few of the screws that secure the lower knee panel. Mine is a '14, I'm not sure if the interior panels on a '16 are different.

Attachments

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That part just pops off too. Behind that are a few of the screws that secure the lower knee panel. Mine is a '14, I'm not sure if the interior panels on a '16 are different.

Not much different.

So you're saying this piece just pulls off towards me. I tried using a plastic tool to push the wire under but there are two points it won't push. I figured those are where the clips are but the piece slides left and right so I started to think they might be a bracket of some sort and clipped on the right side. If any of that made sense???

I just didn't want to snap anything off. I already have to pull the door panel off because of the plastic puddle light clip that broke off. Started rattling the first day inside there.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yup, I just grab it with my fingertips and pull back. It has metal clips. Seeing your wire It would make a cleaner installation to fish the wire down the A-pillar then behind the dash. Follow the factory harness. Plenty of space for more wires.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok. I'll try that. I didn't want to pull the A pillar off and it was easy to tuck the wire in.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yup, I just grab it with my fingertips and pull back. It has metal clips. Seeing your wire It would make a cleaner installation to fish the wire down the A-pillar then behind the dash. Follow the factory harness. Plenty of space for more wires.

So after struggling with the center console I decided not to tap the 12v passenger plug. I thought about pulling off the A pillar but it goes down into the dash and doesn't give the look like it just pulls off. Am I just tripping?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts