Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
501 Posts
I also was a long-time GM guy. My most recent was a '16 Chevy SS. (Liked it .... didn't love it.)

I second the opinions to go for the 392 and at least 275's in back.

Considering that you're in the car for "a bit," I'd opt for more creature comforts. The seats in my 15' SRT are way ahead of what was in my '11 R/T. And whatever the 2019/2020 equivalent is of my '15 SRT will ride better than the lesser-optioned cars.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I also was a long-time GM guy. My most recent was a '16 Chevy SS. (Liked it .... didn't love it.)

I second the opinions to go for the 392 and at least 275's in back.

Considering that you're in the car for "a bit," I'd opt for more creature comforts. The seats in my 15' SRT are way ahead of what was in my '11 R/T. And whatever the 2019/2020 equivalent is of my '15 SRT will ride better than the lesser-optioned cars.
I almost bought an SS when they had a 20% discount. I thought it was nice car. Anything in particular that made you not love it?

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,619 Posts
As for options, I would like to spend some time in a car with adaptive suspension. I am only assuming that when it is firm it is like my SPS is all the time. I love the way it rides and handles, but when just putting around in traffic, the ability to soften it up would be cool. It rides much harsher than my 2015 Charger R/T R&T did, and that didn't ride soft at all.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I almost bought an SS when they had a 20% discount. I thought it was nice car. Anything in particular that made you not love it?
That was when I bought mine. I got a GREAT deal between the GM offer, plus knowing a Chevy GM, plus some money on my GM credit card. I loved the LS3, the adjustable magnaride suspension, the bi-modal exhaust, and the seats and appearance of the interior. I didn’t even mind the Malibu/Cruze/Impala looks too much.

However, knowing that the production numbers were really small, a couple of mechanical issues made me nervous. The A6 transmission lost 4th, 5th, and 6th gear at just 3,200 miles and the seatbelts were recalled the day I picked up the car for potential fraying.

The main reason I parted with it was the wonky electronics. I was using the SS as my daily driver and ended up back in a sales. The electronics made the car hard to live with. The Chevy MyLink system was from the previous generation and was horrible! It was just as likely to drop a call as hand one off from my phone to the radio. The Voice Recognition was the worst I’ve ever used. The Nav system was prone to showing you as being on a parallel street instead of being on the interstate. And, the backup camera was having intermittent failures.

So when we rescued a puppy in October 2016 that is a Lab/ Hound/Great Dane mix, my wife wanted a SUV to haul him around. In December I volunteered to take her ‘13 Charger R/T and we traded the SS for a ‘17 Durango R/T. And eventually traded the Charger for my ‘15 Challenger SRT

·
Registered
218 Posts
Fun

Funny you say that about the wheels, I was already looking at Hellcat wheels and tires on Ebay. Do you know what max size set up would work with the tires still sitting nicely under the car?
No because I am new to these cars as well but I see that sound systems were mentioned and I can tell you that the stereo in the 392SRT is light years better than my RT had...
Check out what I got in place of a spare tire...also I believe the 392SRT has a nicer interior too...not sure...

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T 392 6 speed manual
84 Posts
That was when I bought mine. I got a GREAT deal between the GM offer, plus knowing a Chevy GM, plus some money on my GM credit card. I loved the LS3, the adjustable magnaride suspension, the bi-modal exhaust, and the seats and appearance of the interior. I didn’t even mind the Malibu/Cruze/Impala looks too much.

However, knowing that the production numbers were really small, a couple of mechanical issues made me nervous. The A6 transmission lost 4th, 5th, and 6th gear at just 3,200 miles and the seatbelts were recalled the day I picked up the car for potential fraying.

The main reason I parted with it was the wonky electronics. I was using the SS as my daily driver and ended up back in a sales. The electronics made the car hard to live with. The Chevy MyLink system was from the previous generation and was horrible! It was just as likely to drop a call as hand one off from my phone to the radio. The Voice Recognition was the worst I’ve ever used. The Nav system was prone to showing you as being on a parallel street instead of being on the interstate. And, the backup camera was having intermittent failures.

So when we rescued a puppy in October 2016 that is a Lab/ Hound/Great Dane mix, my wife wanted a SUV to haul him around. In December I volunteered to take her ‘13 Charger R/T and we traded the SS for a ‘17 Durango R/T. And eventually traded the Charger for my ‘15 Challenger SRT
A bit off the original topic but how does the Durango R/T drive compared to the Challenger and Charger? It has the 5.7, right? I’m really liking them and not necessarily looking to move but with a family of 4, the Challenger is more of a niche vehicle than I originally thought.

·
Registered
501 Posts
A bit off the original topic but how does the Durango R/T drive compared to the Challenger and Charger? It has the 5.7, right? I’m really liking them and not necessarily looking to move but with a family of 4, the Challenger is more of a niche vehicle than I originally thought.
LOL.... we have hijacked the OP's thread haven't we. Sorry about that.

We like it a lot. Ride-wise the Durango R/T is closer to the Charger R/T --- which we've had two --- than the Challenger. Very comfortable. Our Durango has second row captain's chairs so it provides a lot of seating flexibility depending on whether the third row is up or down. The 5.7 HEMI is plenty peppy even in a big vehicle --- and I'd love to have the 6.4 just because it exists --- and the A8 seems to always know exactly which gear to use. The interior is good. In fact, I had a couple of former co-workers in the Durango a few months back and they were surprised at how nice the vehicle is. One has family that works for FCA and he said he'd be reaching out for a family discount on one soon. The mileage is pretty consistent at 17-ish around town and 22-ish on the highway. Though it LOVED our trip to the Smoky Mountains last year and averaged 25.2 for our 1,100 mile trip. I think it like going downhill. We have about 37,000 miles on our '17 and it's been virtually trouble-free.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I like creature comforts so I always buy near fully loaded. My car has the HK sound system and it sounds pretty good for an up spec OEM sound system. If you‘re wanting wide wheels and tires, look at the Widebody but that’s a $6k upgrade. It comes with 20x11 wheels on 4 corners shod with 305/35/20s.
Did you ever work a deal on that other car, it looked great?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I like creature comforts so I always buy near fully loaded. My car has the HK sound system and it sounds pretty good for an up spec OEM sound system. If you‘re wanting wide wheels and tires, look at the Widebody but that’s a $6k upgrade. It comes with 20x11 wheels on 4 corners shod with 305/35/20s.
No not yet, I’m being very patient on this one. We fell 1200 apart on the upgraded car. He is looking for a car in between the two to make it work.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T 392 6 speed manual
84 Posts
No not yet, I’m being very patient on this one. We fell 1200 apart on the upgraded car. He is looking for a car in between the two to make it work.
Chances are, you can probably come to terms with only $1200 between you and the car. If you wait until Monday, the salesperson will probably call you with a $700 reduction. Happened to me twice when I was shopping for mine. If you can wait longer, you might get the full $1200 just by being patient and nice about it. I got $1500 off because I agreed to finance rather than pay cash. No loan costs and a low rate, but I paid it off in something like 4 months anyway. They made some money when they sold the loan to the bank, and the bank never got more than 4 months of a low interest rate from me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Chances are, you can probably come to terms with only $1200 between you and the car. If you wait until Monday, the salesperson will probably call you with a $700 reduction. Happened to me twice when I was shopping for mine. If you can wait longer, you might get the full $1200 just by being patient and nice about it. I got $1500 off because I agreed to finance rather than pay cash. No loan costs and a low rate, but I paid it off in something like 4 months anyway. They made some money when they sold the loan to the bank, and the bank never got more than 4 months of a low interest rate from me.
Im waiting them out. I'm not is a rush I have been driving my SUV to work, its actually been nice driving a big luxury vehicle but I'm getting 11.5 MPG. I usually don't finance my cars but thought why use my money when the rates are this low. Hopefully we can work a deal out on one of these cars. I 100% decided to get one with more features and leather. I'm glad I'm taking my time on this one to learn as I go.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Im in Palm City, your pretty close. We are doing the back and forth thing right now I'm waiting to see what they say since I changed the car we had a deal on already. I'm really more of a car guy I guess then brand guy. Ive always likes the look of the Challenger. I would really like a Hellcat too but I'll probably end up like my ZLE and just become a weekend toy. I thought the Scat Pack had a good balance as I'm going to drive this to work.
Hey Paul, I too live in PC. I have a 2019 scat pack challenger, black on black. Love it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Hey Paul, I too live in PC. I have a 2019 scat pack challenger, black on black. Love it.
When all this craziness is over we could meet at Lowe’s in Stuart on Tuesday night. They have a nice show there, usually 150 plus cars. I have a few Vette buddies that go.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi and welcome!
I am a life long Chevy guy....I have owned many Corvettes...some C3s and 6 C5s....I loved them :)
Other than Vettes, I have owned mostly older classic cars...Impalas, Novas etc and my last daily driver was a 1931 steel body Chevy 5 window coupe (no fenders or hood)...
One day I realized that I am not getting any younger and truthfully I only have so many years left to enjoy "hot rods" and also I am getting too old to enjoy older cars that I used to love to tinker on...tinkering which sometimes involved engine and trany swaps :) ...so I decided to try something different...
I wanted a modern car but I wanted a muscle car and soon realized that there is only one company actually fitting that bill :) Dodge...

I no longer buy new...too much depreciation loss...
So I found a nice 2015 RT six speed with low miles and bought it and I LOVED it.......UNTIL I realized that the HP and torque are almost exactly like a C5 so I was quickly bored...
I kept it a few months and could no longer suffer the lack of torque, sound et and traded for a 2015 392 SRT...holy shit... :)
I LOVE THIS CAR.......I seriously doubt I will ever by another Chevy...

The one thing I would recommend is that if you like the HP and the torque and the nice exhaust and wide wheels and tires.....
Don't waste your time with an RT like I did...go directly to the 392 which is now the Scat Pack...(they no longer make the 392 SRT)
Other wise you will be unhappy and spending a ton of money to do the mods to make up for it is, in my opinion, not the way to go...
After all....let the engineers at Dodge figure all that out for you and just enjoy it right out of the box :)

Oh....I really thought I wanted a Hellcat, and although I am sure they are awesome...the 392 is quite enough car...
I will admit tho if money was no object I would definitely buy a Hellcat LOL

Good luck with whatever you decide on!
Agree with all comments - Got my wife an RT+ after I totaled her TA with less than 5,000 miles on it -(Plastic was still on the rear floor mats) I had no business taking that car home in the winter. What I did learn putting that car into the shred & tear cables as they are known I was pulled out of the broken sunroof and was lucky that cable didn't go through the car but over it. As safe as my old Mercedes. Sorry that I didn't get the 392 - I will before FIAT screws up the current design. Would love the Hellcat - but my wife tells me No F... way - still doesn't trust me:devilish:

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack M6
165 Posts
Same My daily driver is a Cadillac so I don't want to go too barren. I looked at some cars closer to base (cloth seats, base stereo) before I bought mine & I couldn't do it.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts