Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 SPS and I love nearly everything about it. However, the ride is a bit rough and it definitely feels stiff. I know that this was, to an extent, the point. However, I live in an area with rough roads and I'll likely never take this car to the track, so a rough ride is not desirable. Additionally, I will likely not put excessively sticky tires on the car, so a stiff suspension would increase my slip angle too much, which is also not desirable.

I've considered grabbing softer springs or a full set of coil overs and/or sway bars that I could tune for a softer ride and getting a set of 19s that I could put a set of tires with more sidewall.

My questions are these: has anyone done this to their car? Are there 18-19" wheels that will still look good on a SPS? Can you get a soft ride without sacrificing handling/creating excessive body roll? Can these goals be achieved with air ride?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Frank,

I agree with you. My SP is a little rough riding but I don't mind it so much, as I have another quick car- a '10 Ford SHO twin turbo that rides as smooth as silk. I can't hear much engine or exhaust noise, if any, and I have put a CAI and catbacks on her, and really can't tell you are driving fast. She is my show car, which is more fun to drive? the SP! I'm old enough to have had three gen1 muscle cars back in late 60s & 70s. My SP reminds me of those cars in a lot of ways- rough ride, hear the engine and exhaust very well and can feel that you are going fast. So, to me, the trade off of the rougher ride, to bring back the feelings of my gen1 muscle, is worth it.

Reactions: jzink0883

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
There is a member on the forum that changed springs on his Scat Pack to R/T spring - wanted the higher ground clearance, but also softened up the ride.

You could probably change the springs and retain the Bilstein (OEM on SP) shocks to keep it from being floaty.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I know its likely obvious, but your tires aren't blown up to 40-50 psi like mine were are they?

·
Registered
15,076 Posts
R/T springs and this Scat Pack has 18's from the SXT, don't know if he needed spacers or not.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
14,226 Posts
Another option is to replace your high performance tires with grand touring ones. You will get a much softer ride but will lose some traction, however. Three good choices, in a 245/45-20 tire, are:

Pirelli Cinturata P7
Continental Pure Contact
Michelin Primacy MXM4

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another option is to replace your high performance tires with grand touring ones. You will get a much softer ride but will lose some traction, however. Three good choices, in a 245/45-20 tire, are:

Pirelli Cinturata P7
Continental Pure Contact
Michelin Primacy MXM4
That's not a bad idea and I never considered it. Do you think 245/50 20 would look ok?

·
Super Moderator
14,226 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts

Pirelli Cinturata P7
Continental Pure Contact
Michelin Primacy MXM4

I have a 2013 SRT8 with only 10K on the factory tires (255 in back, 245 in front). I would also like a smoother, more comfortable ride.

How much of a difference in comfort will the tires you recommended actually make? Anything else you can suggest?

Additionally, I notice that when going over bumps, this car sways left to right, almost like it's jiggling. This is less dramatic is Sport mode, but still present.

After going over a bump, it seems to jiggle side-to-side about three times before coming to a rest. Any suggestions to fix this, or is this how the car naturally behaves?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
14,226 Posts
I have a 2013 SRT8 with only 10K on the factory tires (255 in back, 245 in front). I would also like a smoother, more comfortable ride.

How much of a difference in comfort will the tires you recommended actually make? Anything else you can suggest?

Additionally, I notice that when going over bumps, this car sways left to right, almost like it's jiggling. This is less dramatic is Sport mode, but still present.

It seems to jiggle side-to-side about three times before coming to a rest. Any suggestions to fix this, or is this how the car naturally behaves? Thanks
Tires can make a big difference in how your car rides. "Comfort" is a subjective thing. No matter what you do, your Challenger SRT will never ride like a luxury car- the suspension set-ups are world's apart. Look around, however, some tire manufacturers offer a free trial.

In regard to the "jiggling" over bumps, you may want to consider a MOPAR front strut brace (see photo). It definitely helps with handling but will stiffen things up.

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
Tires can make a big difference in how your car rides. "Comfort" is a subjective thing. No matter what you do, your Challenger SRT will never ride like a luxury car- the suspension set-ups are world's apart. Look around, however, some tire manufacturers offer a free trial.

In regard to the "jiggling" over bumps, you may want to consider a MOPAR front strut brace (see photo). It definitely helps with handling but will stiffen things up.

When you say 'stiffens things up', does that mean I will experience decreased comfort/ride quality?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
14,226 Posts
When you say 'stiffens things up', does that mean I will experience decreased comfort/ride quality?Thanks
It should smooth out the bumps and not adversely affect ride quality. For reassurance, maybe someone else could comment who has the brace on their Challenger.

·
Registered
9,678 Posts
I've had the Mopar front brace on two Challengers.

Ride quality was not effected. The body felt stiffer, but the ride stayed the same.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts

After going over a bump, it seems to jiggle side-to-side about three times before coming to a rest. Any suggestions to fix this, or is this how the car naturally behaves?

Thanks
I think the side to side jiggling you refer to is the action of the springs / sway bars that the SRT suspension has.

Other than your adjustable shocks, the suspension on the '16 Scat Pack Shaker I have is the same and when the left vs. right side encounters bumps (i.e., irregular road surfaces) you're going to feel it.

A tire with a softer sidewall will decrease this somewhat, but it reduces the responsive feel of the suspension - sort of dulls the feedback from the road

·
Registered
899 Posts
The OP may consider some padding on the driver seat. I like the ride for my SXT, but my other car is a Honda with modified suspension and 235/40/19 tires.

I do have a 1" cushion on the seat. It does soften the DD ride. You will have to lower the seat a bit because you now sit taller. This way, you don't have to mod the car.

A good seat cushion is about $70. Try that first before making changes to your car that you may wish back, on those certain days.

·
Registered
9,678 Posts
Have to agree with what Hal's saying. My SP has the same feeling, which is more pronounced/firmer than my previous R/TC was.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I always looks for a light truck/suv tire. Def makes a difference in softness and feel. Also went up in size which I think helps a bit

·
Registered
15,076 Posts
Those almost 6 year old F1's have to be hard as rocks now so almost anything else would be an improvement.

But can you still get the staggered size in a better riding tire? I like my 275s but probably too big on your fronts.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Those almost 6 year old F1's have to be hard as rocks now so almost anything else would be an improvement.

But can you still get the staggered size in a better riding tire? I like my 275s but probably too big on your fronts.

Wouldn't be be advantageous for me to buy a uniform set of four (245's all around) vs staggered?

Why did they even offer the 245 front/255 rear staggered set when new in 2013? Better traction out back?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 23 Posts